News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Anyone have a good Hong Kong crime film to recommend?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Nam

Quote from: Shiranu on August 09, 2014, 03:08:41 AM
Anyone have a good Hong Kong crime film to recommend?

Sha shou hu die meng (My Heart is that Eternal Rose) (1989)

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Nam

Spider Baby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told (1967) -- 8/10.

Funny. Lon Chaney, Jr. was really good in this, and Sid Haig was freaky.

-Nam

Jmpty

???  ??

Nam

Hydra009

Divergent.  I didn't like it. I liked it.  I didn't like it.  I hated it.  It was okay.  Four out of 10.  Get it?!  *chuckles*

My computer apparently played my rental copy out of order (it was like Memento meets the Hunger Games), so if my review seems bizarre, you'll know where I'm coming from.

Here's the set-up.  There's this dystopian city that basically has a caste system.  But it's not hereditary, so people can join whatever caste they want.  As you might imagine, being a farmer your whole life isn't a popular pick.

Here's the plot:  Meet the Audience Surrogate slash Mary Sue you're supposed to identify with, training from hell (almost every training scene from from Starship Troopers minus the nudity), deus ex machina, obviously evil character is evil, sinister plot, crap hits the proverbial fan, deus ex machina, every cliche in the book, roll credits.  That's the film.  No, really.

The part that really kills me that none of the characters have much personality.  Seriously.  Watch it and write down the characters' personality traits.  Not their titles or positions or relations.  There's barely anything there until practically the end of the movie, where all the character development apparently happens.  They're like cardboard cut-outs.  Macklemore was surprisingly good, all things considering.

No one has actual adult conversations.  They just talk in these unnaturally brief grunts and exposition-speak.  I've read comic books with meatier dialogue.

And given the pretty huge deathtoll (it's absurdly high, the life expectancy in this society must be in the upper 20s) and apparently horrendous waste of manpower (legions of homeless, a military that excels primarily at parkour, and a noticeable lack of people doing actual work) I'm having a really hard time believing that this is a society that has lasted more than a single generation.

But the part that really urks me is just how much they smash you over the head with the central theme over and over.  "I'm a precious little snowflake.  You can't put me in a box."  Yeah, we know.  We know.  I don't see why that's such a problem anyways.  A little flexibility never hurt anyone.  And you're stuck in one caste regardless of your snowflake status, so I don't see how that could possibility threaten the social order.

Oh, and the ending gave me cancer.

Green Bottle

Watched Wonderland last nite and its not upto much, tho if ur into that braindead lie back on the sofa with the eye's half shut type of movie experience then this is for you...
Val Kilmer plays John Holmes (who, i hear you say ) he used to be the biggest Dick'' in Hollywoodland.......
Shite storyline, some violence, and Kilmers bare arse.....  3/10
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Solitary

I watched Gravity recently and thought it was exciting to watch. I don't think I want to be an astronaut. It seemed to be accurate with its science more than most science fiction movies. Worth seeing. 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Solitary on August 15, 2014, 12:06:07 AM
I watched Gravity recently and thought it was exciting to watch. I don't think I want to be an astronaut. It seemed to be accurate with its science more than most science fiction movies. Worth seeing. 
I read an article that rated the "science" in Gravity.  For the most part, it thought a large amount of the science was correct, but there were things that were wrong, and very wrong when you see them.  I found one of the mistakes so glaring during the film that it shocked me out of my suspension of disbelief.  You don't just jet pack over to the Russian Satellite, or the Chinese Satellite like you are peddling a bike over to the other side of the lake.  This probably wouldn't have bothered me so much if the movie was not trying so hard to get space "right", because I can buy into a lot of Sci Fi stuff that is really far fetched.

Granted, the movie was widely acclaimed, even nominated for an Oscar, but it left me flat when I saw it in 3D at the theater.  I rented it again when it came out on DVD, and I couldn't even watch the whole thing.  It's odd how out of sinc my tastes are some times.  It even bothers me a bit.  LOL

Solitary

Spoiler Alert!

http://www.spaceanswers.com/space-exploration/16-things-gravity-got-wrong-and-some-things-it-got-right-too/

1. Clooney’s character is reckless to the point of being ridiculous

2. How did the astronauts not know anything about each other?

3. All those communications satellites would’ve been fine

4. Sandra Bullock would have been screwed pretty early on

5. There’s no way to get from Hubble to the ISS easily (especially not with a jetpack)

6. You can’t hit things at speed in space and expect to survive

7. Sandra Bullock was a bit too, uh, scantily clad

8. Why did Clooney keep talking to Bullock when she was CLEARLY RUNNING OUT OF OXYGEN?

9. Clooney didn’t need to die (although we’re glad he did)

10. That 90 minutes thing? It’s sort of right, but mostly baloney

11. Tears don’t float in space so no cool 3D effects for you

12. Getting to Tiangong-1 from the ISS? Yeah, not gonna happen

13. What the hell was Bullock’s plan before she grabbed the fire extinguisher to recreate Wall-E, just jump?

14. Good luck swimming out of a flooded capsule when you’ve just returned from space

15. Yeah, yeah, like the person with months of astronaut training can’t pick the right spacesuit â€" COME ON

16. Coming in from a spacewalk isn’t that easy

Shiranu

Not a movie, but starting a M*A*S*H marathon since I have never actually really seen it.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on August 15, 2014, 09:20:18 PM
Not a movie, but starting a M*A*S*H marathon since I have never actually really seen it.
At the time that series aired, there was nothing like it.  I haven't watched an episode in years.  It might seem a bit dated to me now, but I remember it being great fun.  There is one character who doesn't appear very often, just a few times in the entire series.  Colonel Flag.  Watch for him.  Every time he showed up, I knew it was going to be a great episode, and it was.  But I have a strange sense of humor sometimes.  It may not be like that for you.

Solitary

I hate to admit it, but I really liked the ending to: I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE. This is an underrated movie in my opinion, great acting, directing, and story line. Not every ones taste though. Solitary

SGOS

Moonlight and Madness  5/10

Maybe less if your not a Woody Allen fan.  It's not his finest work, and that score is a rating based not on movies in general, but only compared to the rest of Woody Allen's work.  He does get in a few shots at religion, and I got a kick out of these two old black ladies sitting in front of me in the theater.  I would have pegged them as church going Baptists, and who knows, maybe they were, but they would laugh and giggle every time the movie made fun of religion.  Although the movie was much less critical of superstitious beliefs than members of this forum.