News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

Quote from: aitm on August 03, 2014, 08:19:17 PM
something with two blacks guys, one a cop the other a wanna-be, supposed to be a comedy, had some laughs, a couple guffaws, and it got me from a pistachio  ice cream on a sugar cone to bed.....so......it was okay.

Bad Boys?

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Nam

The Warrior's Way (2010) -- 9/10.

-Nam

Nam

Gawdzilla Sama

Most excellent movie, wildly beyond my expectations.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Nam

the_antithesis

Guardians of the Galaxy

Eh, it was alright. A fun time waster, I guess.

I am mainly disappointed because Star Lord is one of my favorite obscure Marvel characters and that guy in the movie is almost nothing like the guy I remember.

But then, they've apparently been using the character in the comics recently that also doesn't look like that old character I liked, so I guess I get to go fuck myself. Still would have liked to see the science fiction character on the screen, but that character was never popular. Hence why the change.

I'm not sure why I'm lukewarm over this movie. It could be the above. It's the same reason why I hate the last Superman movie, the last three Batman movies, and all the Spider-man movies. I still have to wait to see the actual character brought to life on screen.

But I think it's more than that. There were a couple times during the movie when something important was happening and they went into slow motion, which completely killed the emotional impact of the moment. It's not just this movie, either. I've been seeing this a lot lately. Holding on some significant moment for longer than they should and making me roll my eyes and dry heave at the over saccharine sentiment.

That certainly didn't help. Anything that takes me out of the movie lessens its entertainment value and that shit is anti-entertainment.

Other than that, I'm not sure why I'm meh about it. It may be it's just a meh story. Probably is. But it's not as bad as, say, the Star Wars prequels. I remember thinking that as I watched the large amount of CGI spaceship tomfoolery comparing it to the overly busy scenes, such as the opening space battle of in Revenge of the Sith where I didn't understand what was happening and did not care. In GotG, I did understand what was happening. I'm not sure why. Either those scenes where better staged or they had gotten me to care thanks to the little character moments earlier in the movie and thus paid closer attention. (I didn't pay attention during Revenge of the Sith because they had lost me two movies ago)

So I guess there's that working for the movie. "Not as shit as Revenge of the Sith" isn't exactly a glowing recommendation. But they'll get it anyway.

aitm

Quote from: the_antithesis on August 04, 2014, 05:48:59 PM
so I guess I get to go fuck myself.

well that saves a response from me....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

Quote from: aitm on August 04, 2014, 06:11:29 PM
well that saves a response from me....

I think that's implied whenever you say anything.

Solitary

I've been watching the series: The Killer. Great in every way! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

Guardians of the Galaxy.  8/10.  Very good.  Not perfect, but a surprisingly good showing.

Just as a heads-up, I loved the 2008 comic series.  Dan Abnett is a great writer (but only when he feels like it).  If you haven't seen the 2008 series before watching the movie, I heartily recommend it.  The main things I liked about it is that it was this ragtag group of misfits who by all rights shouldn't even have anything to do with each other, and they're staring down galactic threats together at the ass end of the universe knowing full well that they'll probably die in the process.  And even if they succeed, their exploits will not be rewarded, thanked, or probably even noticed.  They're not heroes like Superman or Captain America.  They're not fighting for truth, justice, or the American way.  They're fighting because all hell's breaking loose and there's simply no one else stepping up to the plate.  They're a bunch of misfits turned Big Damn Heroes, and that's awesome.

Anyways, onward to the movie!

The titular characters were generally pretty faithful to the source material, which was great to see.  (I was worried that they're just slap some paint on some schmuck and call it a day, but thankfully, they really tried to nail these characters, which isn't an easy task)  Groot and Rocket Raccoon were especially true to character.  I AM GROOT.  XD  Gamora was noticeably less so, and didn't sell me on her status as Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy.  In the comics, she is a badass who hacks her way through mooks and does surprisingly well against even extremely powerful foes in hand-to-hand combat.  She even has a sort of intimidating presence, not unlike Thanos, which makes a lot of sense considering her history.  She's not a particularly pleasant person to be around, is what I'm getting it.  The movie depiction really doesn't do her character justice. It's not right to have her say she's an assassin but never so much as show her attempting to assassinate anything.  Show, don't tell, guys!  Starlord was okay, he's slightly less of a goofball in the comic, but you do see that underneath all that, he is capable leader, which is good.  I think Drax was a little more gruff and stoic in the comic, but I did like the unexpected humor from him in the movie, so I'll give that a pass.  I was also really sold on Nebula.  (Amy Pond ftw)  And beink seeing Cosmo was great! 

I liked it.  I really did.  That said, I do have a few nitpicks:

[spoiler]It really could've used at least one more teammate, like Quasar or Warlock or Nova.  I figured Nova would be a shoe-in since the Nova corps feature heavily in the movie, but whatever.

The plot was bizarre with Ronan as the main villain and Drax's apparent beef with him is really strange.  I would've gone a different way and had Thanos and Nebula as the main antagonists and had Ronan as a third party who is initially very belligerent towards the Guardians but eventually helps them against Thanos.  Playing keep-away with the Infinity Gem would make more sense that way. Plus, it'd give Drax a more plausible reason to be eager to fight.

I have no idea why Nova Prime is apparently more of a head of state than a superhero.  Or why Nova Corps members are helpless at zero Gs since the Nova Force famously allows for flight.  Or why the (Space?) Gem is apparently just a planet-killing device instead of a facet of godhood.  The climax was pretty damn bad with one hell of a tidy resolution (the Xandarians are surprisingly upbeat at the end considering a whole crapton of their compatriots just died)  And Marvel's famous post-credits  scene was awful and enraging in this movie.  I WILL DO A MURDER ON THAT DUCK.

That "Everything Wrong With ____" series is going to have a very long list of sins when they review this movie.[/spoiler]

Nam

SGOS

Noah  3/10

I honestly don't think this has anything to do with my atheism.  Regardless of whether the movie got it's "historical accuracy" correct or not, I did not find it entertaining.  I was caught between periods of boredom and moments of perplexing human behavior that did not seem real at all.  It was also depressing.  Depressing does not necessarily disqualify a movie as worthwhile, but I found this depressing without purpose.

Solitary

If you think that was depressing, watch the Black Robe! I was in a funk for a week after watching it.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

doorknob

awe man and I just downloaded Noah too! It looked amazing in the trailer. But I've been deceived by trailers before. I'll come back once I've watched it.