News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naru

hmm I was always told movies like Sharknado or any movies that SYFY makes is consider a B movie or a movie that goes straight to cable or DVD.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Naru on July 31, 2014, 11:45:12 PM
hmm I was always told movies like Sharknado or any movies that SYFY makes is consider a B movie or a movie that goes straight to cable or DVD.

Used to be, but now the cheapo studios, especially the Asylum which makes the Sharknado movies have since become hip to the idea that there is a market for truly stupid ideas for movies. Sort of like how Snakes On a Plane got made and shit like that. It sullies it knowing that they are making shit on purpose instead of because that's the best they can do. Like whenever Bon Jovi puts out a new album.

Nam

The House on Carroll Street (1988) -- 7/10.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Nam

Quote from: the_antithesis on July 31, 2014, 11:39:32 PM
But Sharknado is not a B movie. A B Movie is when they try to make a good movie but go utterly wrong somewhere, usually due to the budget. Sharknado was made to intentionally be bad. I find the lack of sincerity is such product to be unpalatable. 

B movies are low budget films. That's all they are. If one extrapolates the cost of an average A movie ($50-$150 million) compared to an independent film such as the Sharknado series, and most any other film showcased on SYFY, it would classify as a B movie.

-Nam

SGOS

Quote from: Nam on July 29, 2014, 01:33:01 PM
Joss Whedon has always used humor and horror well.
-Nam
He's an exceptionally good director.  Or maybe he chooses the better screenplays.  Whatever it is, I won't miss one of his movies.  I'll pass on some other better known directors, however.

stromboli

A B movie is based on budget, and ther have been some good movies made. A C movie is anything starring a former cast member of 90210.

Nam

Quote from: stromboli on August 01, 2014, 10:44:47 AM
A B movie is based on budget, and ther have been some good movies made. A C movie is anything starring a former cast member of 90210.

An F movie is almost anything Christian related.

-Nam

SGOS

Guardians of the Galaxy  Not sure what to give it.  I'll say 6/10.  Maybe 7/10

I've seen the coming attractions about 5 times at the theater and it looked like it would be pretty bad.  Yet it's getting good reviews from critics, so I went.  Actually, it's not a bad movie.  There are a few very funny moments, and it's a fair superhero spoof, much much better than I thought it would be.  Basically, a group of galactic misfit criminals band together to make sure some thing one of them stole (I'm not sure what it was or what it was supposed to do) would not fall into the wrong hands and result in the end of the Galaxy.  That's the plot, but obviously to get from that simple point A to point B, they have all kinds of encounters along the way with various characters more nefarious then themselves.

Some of the incidents are so pointless and absurd that they are breathtakingly funny, although most of the movie I would describe as just cute.  It was worth the price of admission, but I can't say my life will be any richer for it.

Nam

Notthesun

Guardians of the Galaxy - Pure movie magic.

Score: A
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Nam

Nam

The best spoof movie is Galaxy Quest (1999).

My list would be:

1. Galaxy Quest (1999)
2. Blazing Saddles (1974)
3. Spaceballs (1987)
4. Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)
5. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

-Nam

Nam

The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete (2013) -- 8/10.

Not as depressing as Dare mo Shiranai (2004) but it comes close.

-Nam

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

something with two blacks guys, one a cop the other a wanna-be, supposed to be a comedy, had some laughs, a couple guffaws, and it got me from a pistachio  ice cream on a sugar cone to bed.....so......it was okay.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust