News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Trying to decide if I want to watch Lilo and Stitch or Alice In Wonderland...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Nam

Quote from: Shiranu on July 09, 2014, 03:43:10 PM
Trying to decide if I want to watch Lilo and Stitch or Alice In Wonderland...

Which of the latter? If the cartoon: perfect drug film, if the live version: kinda dark.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Shiranu

Quote from: Nam on July 09, 2014, 04:14:18 PM
Which of the latter? If the cartoon: perfect drug film, if the live version: kinda dark.

-Nam

The cartoon one. I like the story itself because of how twisted it is, but I haven't seen it in ages. No drugs to watch it on though :(.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Nam

Quote from: Shiranu on July 09, 2014, 04:17:49 PM
The cartoon one. I like the story itself because of how twisted it is, but I haven't seen it in ages. No drugs to watch it on though :(.

Me and some friends had a debate in 1998 on what was the best film to watch drugs on, and we got stuck on two films Disney's Alice in Wonderland (cartoon), and Spawn.

The previous night we all got extremely high and watched Spawn but some still had vivid memories of tripping while watching Alice in Wonderland.

-Nam

Nam

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975) -- 8/10.

If you're not into quiet, solemn, and a bit depressing films that run over 3 hours long: this is not the movie for you.

-Nam

pioteir

"Sabotage" strong 8,5/10 for Arnie. Nice paced, story is simple but has a twist to it. Keeps You interested till the end.
Theology is unnecessary. - Stephen Hawking

SGOS

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes  7/10

Decent movie.  It's about a post plague war between the few plague survivors and the partly evolved apes.  This is the way we imagine it happening in the 1960s epic film.  But there are still millions of years of evolution that we would have to go through to get to that point.  That would be like 300,000 sequels at the rate it's going.  While it's a good action movie, the story line is a far cry from the original, where the apes had set up a semi advanced culture complete with it's own myths and fundamentalist religion that prevented any scientific achievement that might throw religious beliefs into question.  And rather than include much of the original's ape bigotry, the last film is more about survival.

As hokey as the ape costumes were, I think the original low tech film was a much superior thought provoking story, although given its lack of advanced film making technology, it could almost be treated as poignant humor with an important message.  Such a film today might offend the new millennium's anti-evolutionary fundamentalists who reject science and would not want to be put in a position of seeing how closely their own religion resembles that of the close minded backward simian religious beliefs of the original film.

Or maybe, it's just because Hollywood now focuses on action and special effects, often to the detriment of good story telling.  Still it's a fair movie.

Nam

Nam

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) -- 7/10.

-Nam

stromboli

Rififi (1955) Has an unbelievable 30 minute silent robbery scene that has never been touched. The leanest, tightest gangster film ever made, imo.

Nam

A Raisin in the Sun (1961) -- 9/10.

-Nam

Nam

The Moon is Blue (1953) -- 10/10.

-Nam

Nam

Love Crazy (1941) -- 9/10.

William Powell hilarious as always.

-Nam

AllPurposeAtheist

"I'm Not Scared" Subtitles available on Netflix
A small boy in the Italian countryside finds another boy his own age chained up in a pit dug in the yard of an abandoned farmhouse then discovers he was the victim of a badly botched kidnapping. The local town is in on it including his own parents.
Very intense sad movie.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Saw Thor:  Dark World.  7/10.  It was entertaining and it had its moments, but it needed a rewrite.  Badly.

First off, I hate all the humans in this movie.  There was no real point in having Earth be a part of this story anyway.  Stupid love triangle was stupid.  And they basically turned her (I don't care enough about her to bother learning her name) into a living macguffin, which was horrible, but a million times better than watching her try to date some poor schmuck.  And frankly, the whole damn science team was physically painful to watch.  The cell phone reception scene alone made me facepalm so hard, let alone the weaponized portals.  These characters actually distracted from the story, which easily could've been just about the Asgardians and the Dark Elves.

And speaking of the Dark Elves, I actually really liked them.  Their ships are cool.  Those implosion grenades are cool.  Their Black Rage powerup crystal thingies are cool.  Their armor is cool.  Those creepy masks are creepy.  And their motivation is only mildly cliched - they don't do evil for evil's sake, don't want to conquer Earth or anything (in fact, they don't give two craps about the Earth, which makes their presence on Earth really puzzling) - they just want to unmake existence and return it to primordial chaos.  Now there's a goal I can get behind.  And best of all, they're led by the 9th Doctor.  Awesome.

I also really liked the Asgardians.  The part where Loki "dies" in Thor's arms was great.  Their whole dynamic was great, let's see more of that.  But there were two things I really didn't like about them - Thor is apparently quite the trickster himself, which really threw me for a loop as it didn't seem to fit with this characterization at all.  He's a stern, duty-bound warrior with all the subtlety of a 2x4.  He's very much like his weapon - blunt, powerful, and very straightforward.  This is the kind of guy who not only does not use deceit, but looks down on it.  The second thing is Loki's offscreen coup d'etat.  Wtf.

And some of the acting seemed kinda off.  Volstagg had what could have had a great You Shall Not Pass moment, but his lines were delivered like he's responding to a questionnaire.  A lot of the characters were like that.  What gives?