News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

Stella Dallas (1937) -- 7/10

Great ending, the rest I found to be good but not special.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on July 03, 2014, 01:00:38 PM
I said made bank, not reviewed well.

Dark of the Fallen (stupid title) made $402 Million on a $200 million budget ($836 worldwide).
Revenge of the Moon (stupider title) made $352 Million ($1,123 million worldwide) on a $195 million budget.

So, yes. They made serious bank. Especially in places where they don't speak English and thus don't know Shia LaBeuf is a terrible actor.

Source: Box Office Mojo.
Yes, I understood that.  My reply was additional information about #4, and not really a relevant response to "making bank."

And I have to agree with you about LaBeuf.  I've often wondered why he plays in so many movies, because I don't think he's that interesting of an actor.  It always seems like he's playing the same character.

Nam

Almost all actors seem to play the same character: themselves.

-Nam

the_antithesis

Tron Legacy

Meh. The story is weak, although the same could be said of the original. The new aesthetic is a little bit simpler than the original. I don't know about the loss of bike helmets and the addition of motorcycle helmets. The de-aging of Jeff Bridges is pretty uncanny valley. They could have made this work by making all programs look like that or maybe it would have worked in black and white (the original movie filmed the actors in B&W) But they didn't do that. Pity. Otherwise the movie retreads the original too much and plays on the nostalgia way, way, way too much instead of being it's own story that is worth telling. I suppose, in the end, it's one of the better latter day sequels to have been made. It just wasn't all that good, either.

X-Men: Days of Future Past

This one is tough. First of all, because of the last six X-Men movies, I only saw three of them. And I didn't even mean to see The Wolverine. I just got invited to a sneak peak and went more to be sociable than because I wanted to see that shit.

That said, this movie was pretty good. Partially because it wasn't an adaptation of the comic book story, which would be impossible since events and characters from the comic book story were already mined by the first movie. It's kind of like how Batman is constantly whining about his dead parents because he has no other character. Days of Future Past is the definitive X-Men story and regular characters keep coming back in time from this dark future they made never happen, the second Pheonix and Bishop if I remember correctly.

Adaptations are a tricky bird because no matter how much you get right, you are going to get something wrong and some asshole is going to think it was important. This movie just plain gets everything wrong, so it really don't matter. It makes it easier to stop worrying about accuracy or if Ellen Page could act older so that it would be believable and shit like that and just watch the fucking movie. I honestly do not know what to think of this. I tend to think that accuracy counts in storytelling but that this movie managed to render all nitpicking moot is a feat worth applauding and perhaps even studying.

I'm still not enjoying these superhero movies as much as I should, but this one is well done. I really can't think of anything else to say about it.

Nam

Solitary

I watched the new Riddick movie last night and thought it was good, but I would have preferred a different main character than Vin Diesel. I guess I'm tired of seeing him in the Fast and furious movies that I only watch for the cars and Jordana Brewster.  :drool: :wink2:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

robert04330

just watched star trek first contact but that was a dvd.
last time i saw a movie in the movie complex it was: a million ways to die in the old west..

I LOVED ITTTTT!!!! 9 out of 10!
I HAVE CANDY

Green Bottle

Just watched Black Swan with natalie portman in, ma pal told me it was gd so i gave it a watch, turned out it was nobad even tho it was about ffn ballet , didnt think i would like it but i did ffs......... :pidu:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Nam

I didn't really care for Black Swan.

-Nam

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on July 06, 2014, 04:08:44 PM
Tron Legacy

Meh. The story is weak,
Yeah, I agree.  Both were.  Bikers might like it.  Sci Fi for bikers.

GalacticBusDriver

Quote from: 10 Green Bottles..... on July 06, 2014, 08:38:27 PMJust watched Black Swan with natalie portman in, ma pal told me it was gd so i gave it a watch, turned out it was nobad even tho it was about ffn ballet , didnt think i would like it but i did ffs......... :pidu:

It's not about ballet though. It's about one person's descent into madness. Besides, awesome girl-on-girl scene with Natalie Portman and any reasonably hot chick is plenty of reason to see this one!
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner

the_antithesis

Quote from: GalacticBusDriver on July 07, 2014, 06:54:14 PM
Besides, awesome girl-on-girl scene with Natalie Portman and any reasonably hot chick is plenty of reason to see this one!

Yeah. At least one of the chicks should be hot.

Nam

Now, Voyager (1942) -- 8/10.

I think one of Bette Davis' best performances.

-Nam

Sal1981

Transcendence - 10/10

I give very rare movies a full rating because I always find some flaw in them; this isn't a flawless movie, but I think it still deserves a 10 outta 10.

---

Frozen - 8.5/10

---

Noah - 9.5/10

I don't think Noah was some "atheistic" movie as I've heard many claim, after some certain, rather magical, events in the movie I just took it as some fantasy movie.

Nam

Night Must Fall (1937) -- 7/10

-Nam