News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

Passion in the Desert (1997) -- 7/10

French soldier gets lost in Egypt, becomes delirious, and has sex with leopard.

-Nam

Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

the_antithesis

Quote from: Aroura33 on June 27, 2014, 01:06:39 PM
The Serpent and The Rainbow, 3/10

Brief plot synopsis:  Guy is asked by his pharmaceutical employer to go to Haiti and find the zombie powders and bring them back so modern medicine can use them to make a new kind of anesthetic.  Guy finds out Voodoo is real, but zombie powder is still just a mix of known scientific substances that the drug companies can still use....plus hot mixed race sex throw in there somewhere.

I found it painfully bad. At first it was annoying, with terrible narration and acting by Bill Paxton.  The only redeeming quality being a strong black female lead.  But then the plot got SUPER stupid AND slow at the same time.  There were moments I actually started dozing off on my husband shoulder, followed by a random explosion or loud exclamation that would wake me, only to get boring again and I'd start dozing off.  I was awake for the end, which was just silly piled on top of stupid.

This is supposed to be an interesting book. Maybe I'll give that a try, but probably not.  Anyway, if you are having insomnia, I highly recommend this movie.  If you want an enjoyably bad flick, this isn't it though.

I saw that a few years ago and agree it's pretty dry. I only watched it because it was the only realistic depiction of zombies in film. I'm so sick of zombies and they all get it wrong , anyway.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 27, 2014, 07:18:37 PM
Tomb Raider. Lady Croft doesn't get to bang the girl... sadly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6qUj5EjhfI

She fingerbangs the girl. That's what.

Nam

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 28, 2014, 12:15:37 PM
I saw that a few years ago and agree it's pretty dry. I only watched it because it was the only realistic depiction of zombies in film. I'm so sick of zombies and they all get it wrong , anyway.

How do people get something fictional, wrong? If you think about it zombies have been around in literature for over 2,000 years. So, unless the first story ever written about a person rising from the dead is what you're speaking about, which I doubt, then no one gets it wrong.

-Nam

the_antithesis

Quote from: Nam on June 28, 2014, 12:20:57 PM
How do people get something fictional, wrong?

Well, in the 90's there was talk of making a Spider-man movie and one of the scripts allegedly circulating involved the main character not becoming a super hero but turning into a half-human, half-spider monstrosity. So it is possible to get something fictional wrong.

And zombies are not fictional.

Nam

SGOS

I heard Transformers is apparently breaking this summer's box office records.  That surprises me given the general reaction I've heard toward the last two movies.

the_antithesis

Quote from: SGOS on July 03, 2014, 07:27:49 AM
I heard Transformers is apparently breaking this summer's box office records.  That surprises me given the general reaction I've heard toward the last two movies.

I thought the last two made bank, too.

Also, they brought in the Dinobots. It's kind of like how idiots thought Revenge of the Sith was going to be great because they finally put that whiny shit in the Darth Vader suit.

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on July 03, 2014, 11:20:22 AM
I thought the last two made bank, too.

17% on the Tomatometer from the Critics.  Fans are up around 60%.  Professional critics must be looking for something else, although 60% is hardly stellar.  I don't see much competition from this week's new releases, however.

Nam

Muriel's Wedding (1994) - 8/10

-Nam

the_antithesis

Quote from: SGOS on July 03, 2014, 11:57:47 AM
17% on the Tomatometer from the Critics.  Fans are up around 60%.  Professional critics must be looking for something else, although 60% is hardly stellar.  I don't see much competition from this week's new releases, however.

I said made bank, not reviewed well.

Dark of the Fallen (stupid title) made $402 Million on a $200 million budget ($836 worldwide).
Revenge of the Moon (stupider title) made $352 Million ($1,123 million worldwide) on a $195 million budget.

So, yes. They made serious bank. Especially in places where they don't speak English and thus don't know Shia LaBeuf is a terrible actor.

Source: Box Office Mojo.

Nam

The Hidden (1987) - 7/10

Good SciFi cop film. Plus, Claudia Christian is hawt in it.

-Nam

Aroura33

Spent the last few days watching documentaries.
The Institute: 2/10
It starts out sort of amusing.  The idea of the game itself sounds fun, and there are a few funny interviews or filmed moments, but mostly it's just pretentious and boring, with a side of some seriously disturbed and sad life people.

The Cove: 10/10
This is probably the most disturbing thing I've ever seen, ever.  Like, a live horror movie that actually happens every year.
So, without spoiling the entire thing, the basic story is that one of the trainers from the 70's show Flipper had a massive change of heart (for good reason) about cetacean captivity, and during his world roaming to save dolphins, discovered that hundreds of dolphins were being killed off the coast of Japan in a cove near a small fishing town.  But he can't get in to see what is REALLY happening.  He recruits a real life Oceans 11 team, including someone who works of Industrial Light and Magic to help disguise their cameras, and they infiltrate the area and film it.

Holy....shit.

I researched the movie a little before watching it, and learned that the Japanese claim the dolphins were killed quickly and humanely, and their meat was eaten.
I told my husband I had no problem if they were eating the meat, even though I know dolphins are very intelligent, if they are killing them humanely.

BUT...
[spoiler]But they aren't.  I have seen cows and pigs and chickens in horribly inhumane conditions that made me angry and upset.  I've seen cows take minutes to die, go down and struggle.  It's not ok, and it is why I only buy free range chicken and beef and eggs.

How they kill those dolphins was one of the most horrific things I've ever watched.  It was like watching well armed soldiers walk into a primitive village, take the young females out for "breeding", and then violently slaughter the helpless old men, women and children right in front of each other, screaming and everything.  I have NEVER seen so much blood.  It actually changes the texture of the ocean water, not just the color.
The details that they should not be eating the meat, that it is highly contaminated and unsafe for consumption, that the Japanese view dolphins as pests and competition for the fish in the area, that they sell it as more expensive "whale" meat and are poisoning their own people, that many in the Japanese government know all of this and tell outright lies about what really goes on there and are buying out the representatives of countries in only agency that might be able to protect these animals is just the horrible icing on the horrible cake.
[/spoiler]
Between this movie and Blackfish, for the first time ever I have a very strong urge to do something about an issue, to take action!  But I don't know what, so instead I feel sit here feeling helpless.

Long story short, I highly recommend it.  If you have a strong stomach.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Aroura33

2 more documentaries.

Are all Men Pedophiles?: 7/10
Has some very good points and arguments.  Some of it is just undeniably true.  The fear of pedophiles in the west has started to break down the relationships of men with children.  The west has over-defined the term pedophile and many people who are not actually pedophiles are being labeled as such and denounced as predators.
My only problems with this movie are that the "dark" interviews are poorly done, and the accents are so thick with the narrator and all the experts that some of it is hard to understand.
Still, I really do think everyone should watch this one as well.

I Escaped a Cult: 5/10
I feel truly sorry for these people, but the interviews were not very compelling, and the pacing was horrible.  Only 2 family stories, so it felt really long and drawn out.
It's kind of interesting, might recommend it if you are really into this topic.  But I think all religions are cults (of varying degrees).
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Notthesun

Maleficent - I quite enjoyed that. I loved Angelina Jolie in it. <3

Grade: B

Also, for Transformers, it doesn't matter how bad they are (and they are), people are going to see them.
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.