News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aroura33

How To Train Your Dragon 2 (in 3d). 9/10.  The first one's story is SLIGHTLY better, but the animation in the second one is incredible.

First off, I'm probably swayed by the fact this is the first 3D movie I've seen in theatres, and damn was it impressive!  The animation made my stomach swoop and dive with Hiccup, Toothless and the other dragon riders.  It felt pretty awesome.  I enjoyed the story, liked the darkness of it and the ultimate hopefulness of it, no matter how predictable it was.

Also, seeing it with my 7 year old daughter, who immediately afterward dubbed it The BEST movie she'd EVER seen!! is probably affecting my rating a bit.  But it was pretty darn impressive.

Looking back on it from outside the awe factor, the plot is a tad predictable, and the pacing is odd at times, but I think it more than makes up for it with the most awesome mom in a cartoon (IMO, at least that I can think of)...ever.  :D And also, I just love that It was a well done sequel, which seems a truly rare thing in Hollywood.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Aroura33

Oops, double post, sorry.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Aroura33

Quote from: Berati on June 21, 2014, 02:51:28 PM
Just saw the movies and I have to agree. This is the best movies I've seen in years.
I'd give the Lego Movie a 10/10.  There just wasn't anything I disliked.  I was constantly pleasantly surprised by the movie. It really is one of the best movies I've seen in ages, but I've been on a roll with good movies lately.  I've seen a few dud, but also a lot of great ones!

Now good TV shows, those seem to be rarer quark.
Leonard Nimoy

Nam

Quote from: Aroura33 on June 24, 2014, 02:58:49 AM
I'd give the Lego Movie a 10/10.  There just wasn't anything I disliked.  I was constantly pleasantly surprised by the movie. It really is one of the best movies I've seen in ages, but I've been on a roll with good movies lately.  I've seen a few dud, but also a lot of great ones!

Now good TV shows, those seem to be rarer quark.

If you ever have trouble sleeping watch Legend of the Sea.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

stromboli

Quote from: Nam on June 24, 2014, 03:02:34 AM
If you ever have trouble sleeping watch Legend of the Sea.

-Nam

Not being critical here but I couldn't find a review of this movie on Rotten Tomatoes. the rating I found was for age level six. Any movie that uses Rob Schneider for a voice actor can't be good.  :eek:

Nam

Quote from: stromboli on June 24, 2014, 04:07:42 AM
Not being critical here but I couldn't find a review of this movie on Rotten Tomatoes. the rating I found was for age level six. Any movie that uses Rob Schneider for a voice actor can't be good.  :eek:

Review (I wrote it):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2334578/reviews

-Nam

PopeyesPappy

How to Train Your Dragon 2.

If you liked the first one you should enjoy the new one too.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Nam

Never Take Sweets from a Stranger (1960) -- 9/10

A Hammer film. Not what one would expect of Hammer in 1960 -- a film on the subject of pedophelia. And, it doesn't hold back in dialogue.

-Nam

Aroura33

Blackfish. 
I don't even know how to rate this film.  Whatever your stance, it is an extremely well done documentary.
I'm not an animal activist.  I have in the past, and may someday in the future, raise my own food animals. But an orca is not a food animal.  And I also believe that even food animals should be well treated.

Anyway, I think absolutely everyone should see this film.  I'm serious. I was devastated. I felt like I SHOULD be an animal rights activists.  I will never ever, unless under threat of death go to Sea World, now.  And I say that after I looked for, read and watched rebuttals to this film. The facts are, the film is right, and Sea World is....well go watch the film!!

I saw it months ago, and it still pops randomly, and not so randomly, into my mind.  I chaperoned part of my daughters 1st grade class's zoo field trip, and this movie was in my head so often while looking at the "animal exhibits".  I saw a preview for a movie about a rescued dolphin, (in captivity for life of course), and I just felt horror, not the hope and joy the preview was trying to evoke in me.

This movie/documentary is the only one of it's kind that profoundly changed the way I view something, in this case a large portion of human interactions with the animal world.

I highly recommend it.
Leonard Nimoy

Notthesun

Edge of Tomorrow - It was awesome. Face paced, fun, and just a great summer movie. I loved it.

Score: A-
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

SGOS

I saw the play, Jersey Boys, in Chicago a couple years ago, and I enjoyed it very much (I don't usually have a great enthusiasm for plays).  Granted part of my interest was the unique way it handled scene changes, which wouldn't work in a movie.  If they needed a restaurant scene, there were no stage hands to do it.  The lights dimmed a bit and the actors themselves would push a table out onto the stage, and carry in their own chair, which they would briskly plop down and then sit on it. The lights would come up again, and presto!  There were the bare essentials of a restaurant.   All this would be done in just a couple of seconds.  However, the movie is not getting hot reviews from critics, which probably has little to do with how enjoyable the movie might be.  I'm not sure I'll go see it at the theater yet. But I'd like to hear if anyone has seen it.

Nam

Is that the only play you've ever seen? 'Cause that pretty much how much of them work; but why that would have any bearing on how good the performance is...I have no idea.

-Nam

SGOS

Quote from: Nam on June 26, 2014, 11:09:11 AM
Is that the only play you've ever seen? 'Cause that pretty much how much of them work; but why that would have any bearing on how good the performance is...I have no idea.

-Nam
No, I've seen maybe 20 plays in my lifetime, usually when I visit my city friends or relatives, but I've never seen it done that way, so it was unique to me.  And being from the sticks, I thought it was quite clever.  Note that wasn't all that was good about the play.  The music brought back nostalgic memories.  The story line was marginal, but that seems to be typical of musicals.

SGOS

Season 4 of Downton Abbey just came out on Amazon Prime.  I watched all 9 episodes in one evening.  Now I have to wait another year.

AllPurposeAtheist

The Ledge
An atheist is banging a religious fanatics wife, but might jump off a building to save her life.  Good flick. It's on Netflix.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.