Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Machette II
Some of my friends watched it stoned.
I watched it drunk.
F*ing hilarious. Recommend it full-heartedly.
Justin Bieber as bleep, 'nuff said.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

the_antithesis

So, I finally watched Battleship. I had a hard time getting through it because the beginning was just so terrible with all the military dick sucking. You know, there is a difference between being enthusiastically supportive of the millitary and sucking military dick. This movie falls in the later. Fortunately, this gets toned down a little once the aliens show up and kick their well-licked balls back into their abdominal cavity. But only a little, what with the amputee being a hero and the old guys running the ship and shit.

It's a shame these are bad things about the movie because there are the only things I can really recall. I remember there were these killer ball things so Hasbro could sell toys of them and a sequence where they track the aliens by essentially playing the game Battleship, but otherwise it's forgettable. The main character is a ponce who never stops being a ponce and is ultimately rewarded for his poncitude. And... fuck. Were there any other characters in this movie? I ask because I can't really remember. I only remember the main character because he got the most screen time and he was an insufferable ponce for every second of it.

There was the blond chick girlfriend. I remember she was kind of hot, but that thumbs-up at the end made me want to hit her in the head with a snow shovel, which is how all my relationships end.

There was the nerdy scientist guy who has an arch lifted from the Big Book of Predictable Character Archs You Shouldn't Use In Your Movie, You Dumb Shits by E. B. White. Actually, there was this one scene where he had to go get a piece of magical scientific equipment from an area overrun with aliens and while he's getting it, he's spotted by an alien. The alien looks a little thinner and weedier than the others and I thought they were going to do something with this, BUT THEY DON'T.

Assholes.

One top of all this, the movie is poorly photographed. Too many tracking shots, zoom in closeups, etc that I suddenly because aware of every single fucking camera movement. Maybe I would not have if it was a good story with compelling characters. but it wasn't and they didn't have any characters. Just ponces and props. That's what the old guys were. Fucking props.

So, fuck that movie. Seriously. It's worse than everyone expected.

SGOS

All I remember about Battleship was when they were doing that takeoff of sink my battleship in that board game environment.

Feral Atheist

Enders Game - something to think about.

The fight was two battles, #1 to knock him down, and the second to punish him enough so that you don't have to fight him again, worked fine on a one-on-one.

Then the military/government approach of total annihilation, unwarranted!
In dog beers I've only had one.

Jason78

The Conjuring.

2/10 - Would not watch again unless forced at gunpoint.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Nitishajack

Monsters U :

10 out of 10 for Adults and Kids.
Not gonna spell it out, go watch it.
Another great Pixar title.

pioteir

The latest movie for me was The 300 sequel/prequel. I'd give it a 7/10. I liked the first one a bit better.

As for the movie I've seen lately Van Wilder, after all these years still 7/10 :)) and Deep impact maybe 5,5/10.

I enjoyed the Chronicle very much, 47 ronin not so much, man of tai chi not really. I feel kinda disappointed by the 2 Keanu Reeves's flicks.

Quote from: Feral Atheist on April 14, 2014, 08:03:34 PM
Enders Game - something to think about.

The fight was two battles, #1 to knock him down, and the second to punish him enough so that you don't have to fight him again, worked fine on a one-on-one.

Then the military/government approach of total annihilation, unwarranted!

I agree about the military mentality, but why the fuck is it always that little kids are the only ones to save the world??? I just can't get past this. In anime it's the same, Evangelion and the like, it's always "the aliens/ ghosts/ whatever the fuck is going to destroy the universe, and the only one capable of opposing them is... a group of elementary school kids equipped with... I mean seriously?!?
Theology is unnecessary. - Stephen Hawking

Mr.Obvious

"Marina", a Belgian movie about the life of Rocco Granata. Truly a great movie, though I may be biased.
Great acting, beautifull story, a few good songs in there. Really just fun to watch.
If you are a guy, I would recommend watching this with your girl if she wants to watch something romantic. It's got a good enough story to keep you interested that I usually find lacking in romantic films.
Downside? It's in Dutch and Italian so it'll be subbed for most of you. Yet, it's a great movie. Would reccomend.

9.2/10
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Berati

Rush

Fantastic movie about real life events in Formula 1.
Very well written and acted with good action.
I really liked that Ron Howard stayed true to formula 1. No going at it like bumper cars which is not at all what happens in Formula 1.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Berati on April 27, 2014, 07:59:21 PM
Rush

Fantastic movie about real life events in Formula 1.
Very well written and acted with good action.
I really liked that Ron Howard stayed true to formula 1. No going at it like bumper cars which is not at all what happens in Formula 1.
I wanted to see that. It's out on DVD?

Sent via your mom

Poison Tree

It Came from Beneath the Sea:
SLOW. The attack on the city if entertaining and the monster is fairly well done but it takes way too long for the protagonists to figure out what the audience already knows and somehow manages to not have any tension while waiting for them to figure it out.

20 Million Miles to Earth:
Some great Harryhausen special effects, especially the fight with the elephant. The plot is just ok if you don't over think it. The pacing is fairly decent (much better then It Came) and it has a few scenes that will really grab your attention. The halfhearted attempt to tack a love story onto the plot was unnesasary and unsuccessful. Some say it is a King Kong knockoff: I'd say its plot is worse but the special effects are better.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Jack89

Just watched "Odd Thomas" on NetFlix and loved it.  It's kind of a quirky dark humor film based on a Dean Koontz novel.  I'm gonna have to read the book now.

@Aroura33 - Tucker and Dale vs Evil kept me rolling through much of the film as well.  It kind of surprised me.  I've seen it twice.

GalacticBusDriver

Quote from: Jack89 on April 27, 2014, 10:25:57 PMJust watched "Odd Thomas" on NetFlix and loved it.  It's kind of a quirky dark humor film based on a Dean Koontz novel.  I'm gonna have to read the book now.

Took a chance on this one over the weekend and was very pleasantly surprised. As a long time fan of the books I wasn't expecting much from the film, especially considering it was nearly direct to DVD. It's not the typical direct to DVD though as litigation tied up it's release and they apparently got tired of waiting and simply threw it out on the DVD market in hopes of getting some kind of return. Anton Yelchin did a great job as Odd and Addison Timlin was good as Stormy. I especially enjoyed her sheer panty camel-toe scene!

All-in-all a good adaptation of a book to make an entertaining film. 7/10

I've also been watching "Orphan Black" from BBC Americas on-demand. This is one of, if not the the best, TV shows in a long, long time. Basic premise: Sarah Manning returns to (generic North Am. city, I think they mention New York but it looks more like Ontario) after nearly a year away. Upon here arrival she witnesses her doppelganger commit suicide by train. She decides to run a scam, taking the dead girl's place and things start to get real interesting. 9.5/10. If you're interested, watch from the beginning. There's too much back story to be able to really understand the plot if you jump in now. You can find on-demand here: http://www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-black/where-to-watch-orphan-black/  Seriously good show!
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 10, 2013, 01:37:48 AM
NOOOO!!!

I wanted to like the new Oz film.  Don't tell me it's crappy!   <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->

then don't come an obvious spoiler thread.

Mama - first half of the movie was okay, had some scary moments and atmosphere, acting wasn't to outstanding except for the little girls.
Then second half it just wilts and becomes funny instead of scary when you see the horribly rendered cgi 'mama', the bad acting just gets worse, and nothing redeemable about it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

X-Men Days of Future Past  10/10

After 5 or 6 X-Men movies, with the one devoted to Wolverine a throw-away, and the last one a bit jarring for me with the teenage versions of Xavier and Eric, this last film brings the new and old characters together into a very interesting story that kept my attention very well.  I think it's the best movie I've seen this summer, even without the hype given to Captain America and Spiderman.  I think it's the additional element of a good tale added to the typical Superhero formula that makes the difference for me.  It helps to have seen the previous films.  Otherwise, there are parts of the movie that will cause you to think you missed something.

Jennifer Lawrence takes over the sexy blue shape shifting character of Mystique, and I bring this up to point out a glaring error in the film.  It's a rather big error (which I also forgive).  The nearly naked quality of her blue form early in the movie shows her from the back and clearly reveals a zipper from the back of her neck to her bottom.   :wtff:  We all know Hollywood is going to use a body suit for the character, and in later scenes, the editing room fuzzes the zipper out.  But I'm pretty sure the real Mystique wouldn't be shifting her shape by donning a wardrobe of various body suits.   :smiley:

Still it's a very good movie that ties in with the previous X-Men plots without simply repeating a plot with a new set of villains, like superhero sequels often do.