News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

I had finally gotten around to watching Chronicle. For those who don't know or remember, which is most of you, it's a super hero-style story told Blair Witch style. Three friends find this thing that gives them all super powers. Pretty much just telekinesis which they can use to fly and create force fields and shit. Some telepathy is suggested but not explored.

I liked the movie, but I found myself identifying with the main character a bit too much. So much so that when I first started watching the opening scenes where we see how much he and his life sucks, I had to turn it off because I got too upset.

The main point of the story seems to be that people who've had shitty lives shut never get the ability to rise above it because they'll invariably misuse their new-found power. They've been taught that only dicks have power, so they'll become a dick when they get it. Or maybe it's just lashing out in anger at how shitty their life has been. But it's give a nerd the means to fight back, and you'll get Columbine. I'm not sure if that's a positive message.

But otherwise, I liked it. They get away from the found footage look by having the character use their powers to move the camera around. It has a great fight at the end between two super-powered characters that, I think, was better than that fucking Superman movie. Partially because the characters were better developed and the stakes were better explained. Scriptwriter Max Landis had put in a pitch for a Superman story to DC which they had stupidly rejected. They'd do better if they haired Max to write their DC heroes movies. He had better love for the material and an understanding of how to make it work.

stromboli

Chronicle was a better movie than I thought it would be. Reminded me strongly of Akira, which I suspect was an influence. It showed how different people with extremes of life experiences and personalities might deal with ultimate power. Was a lot more philosophical in that sense than I expected.

leo

Noah. The movie is fairly good. 8/10. If you go without great expectations , it's a good ride.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

AllPurposeAtheist

Why are there never zombie cats, dogs, birds, etc.?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

GalacticBusDriver

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 30, 2014, 12:21:25 AM
Why are there never zombie cats, dogs, birds, etc.?
Well, there were plague vampire dogs in "I am Legend."
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner

Savior2006

Quote from: stromboli on March 29, 2014, 02:09:39 PM
Chronicle was a better movie than I thought it would be. Reminded me strongly of Akira, which I suspect was an influence. It showed how different people with extremes of life experiences and personalities might deal with ultimate power. Was a lot more philosophical in that sense than I expected.

Akira was mentioned in the Chronicles page on TV tropes for the same reason. Chronicles was good and I don't know if I said that in this thread. That particular movie gets a 5/5.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Aroura33

The Man From Earth.  8/10

I heard about this film on some top 20 atheist friendly movie list.  It was the #1 movie recommended, and described as hard to describe without spoiling it.  And it's true.  It's got no action, no special effects, mediocre acting, but a fascinating story to tell.  I 100% recommend this movie.  It's free on Hulu.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

the_antithesis

aitm

Jackie Chan's er......something or another.. I already forget.... if lousy actors are the best they could find, they fucked that up and found worse ones.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Anchorman II: 1/10

A few comedians of some merit, badly hampered by a weak plot and bad directing.  Possibly on my list of 25 worst movies ever.

leo

Captain America 2 8/10 . The movie is very good , specially the second half. The beginning of the movie is kinda slow:
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

SGOS

Yep 8/10 was my guess also.  Pretty good for a sequel, I think.

aitm

so Keanu Reeve's Ronin 47 or 47 Rodents or something involving the number 47......yeah..er.....if yer desperate for a movie try Heidi or Teenage mutant ninja turtles or maybe just eat some chocolate turtles while watching the grass grow.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

I liked Captain America 2, I will also give it a 8/10.

47 Ronin I actually enjoyed a good bit. I give it a 7/10.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

I want to see the new captain America.

I just downloaded Knights of Badassdom. It's supposed to be a comedy/horror. Hopefully it's funny enough that I can get past the scary parts and I don't have nightmares... :lol:

Sent via Internet Explorer