News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickcopeland648

"Teen Treak"... Meh... Nothing particularly engaging... Strictly C+ work...

The Rick Copeland is finally irritated with these things. Why do these movies such as "Star Trek Kids" or any super hero movie feel the need to bring back villains from the tv show/previous movies/ comic books. The Rick Copeland would like for at least one of these movies to give us a new bad guy nobody has seen before...
"It was then I understood my mission. I knew I must overthrow the white man and all he stood for. But that would not be easy. I would need the help from my organizing brothers and sisters. But most of all, I\'d need the help of Allah. All thanks be to Allah, praise be his sweet and blessed name."
   -- From "Dreams From my Father: The Unexpurgated Version THEY don\'t Want You To Read". By B. Obama Hussein, Forward By Jerome Corsi"

"Syphilis is the algebra of infection."

SGOS

Gangster Squad     9.5/10

Stellar cast with Ryan Gosling, Josh Brolin, Emma Stone, Sean Penn, and Nick Nolte.  It's classic 1949 cops and robbers in comic book format:  "You dirty copper, ZAP, WHACK, THUMP, BLAMO.  Take him away boys."  Scene after scene captured the feeling of panels right out of those old comic books my parent's never let me read.

Neat old classic cars from the 1940s brought back fond memories; Fords and Studebakers for the cops, while the gangsters drove Packards. Shootouts employ a liberal use tommy guns and sawed off shotguns with at least a 32 ounces of lead in the air at any given second.  Guys go down doing the 'Tommy Gun Shimmy' as they get riddled with bullets in the true comic book tradition.  Love the 1940s blues and jazz music (Chickee Boom Chickee Boom) in the gangster night clubs sung by some dame with bananas and grapes on her head.

Sean Penn is the brutal gangster cornering the crime syndicate in LA (I'm takin' over this town and then the rest of the West Coast), but harassed by cops taking liberties with the law and equally demented themselves:  WHACK, THUNK, CRUNCH, "They'll be waiting for you with a lead pipe in Alcatraz, Mickey!"

I'm not usually a fan of crime movies, but this one was a wonderful exception.  It was a great bloody, almost satirical film. Everyone was a fantasy tough guy, except for Emma Stone, who gets sexier every time I see her.  I'm putting this one in my private collection.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"Gangster Squad     9.5/10

Stellar cast with Ryan Gosling, Josh Brolin, Emma Stone, Sean Penn, and Nick Nolte.  It's classic 1949 cops and robbers in comic book format:  "You dirty copper, ZAP, WHACK, THUMP, BLAMO.  Take him away boys."  Scene after scene captured the feeling of panels right out of those old comic books my parent's never let me read.

Neat old classic cars from the 1940s brought back fond memories; Fords and Studebakers for the cops, while the gangsters drove Packards. Shootouts employ a liberal use tommy guns and sawed off shotguns with at least a 32 ounces of lead in the air at any given second.  Guys go down doing the 'Tommy Gun Shimmy' as they get riddled with bullets in the true comic book tradition.  Love the 1940s blues and jazz music (Chickee Boom Chickee Boom) in the gangster night clubs sung by some dame with bananas and grapes on her head.

Sean Penn is the brutal gangster cornering the crime syndicate in LA (I'm takin' over this town and then the rest of the West Coast), but harassed by cops taking liberties with the law and equally demented themselves:  WHACK, THUNK, CRUNCH, "They'll be waiting for you with a lead pipe in Alcatraz, Mickey!"

I'm not usually a fan of crime movies, but this one was a wonderful exception.  It was a great bloody, almost satirical film. Everyone was a fantasy tough guy, except for Emma Stone, who gets sexier every time I see her.  I'm putting this one in my private collection.

YAY!  Us too.   Just rented this from Redbox --- we thought it was fantastic!  A bit cheesy but who cares?
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

WitchSabrina

Watched Broken City.

:sigh:

I'm gonna give it a 4 out of 10 based on some pretty lousy writing.  Much too cliche to get the job done.  And what a waste with such a good cast.  Some pretty big holes in the plot which I assume landed on the editing floor (?)

WitchSabrina

Actually a pretty good flick.  I'll give it a 7/10.  Great acting and a side of ol Franklin R I didn't know.

Solitary

The series written or on film I highly recommend is this: The Millennium series consists of three bestselling novels, originally written in Swedish, by the late Stieg Larsson (1954–2004). The two primary characters in the saga are Lisbeth Salander, a woman in her twenties with a photographic memory and poor social skills, and Mikael Blomkvist, an investigative journalist and editor of a magazine called Millennium. Blomkvist, the character, has a history similar to Larsson, the author. Larsson planned the series as having ten installments, but due to his sudden death, only three were completed and published.[1] Those three books are:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Män som hatar kvinnor, literally, Men who hate women) (2005)

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Flickan som lekte med elden, literally, The girl who played with fire) (2006)

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Luftslottet som sprängdes, literally, The air castle that was blown up) (2007)

Bill
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"[ Image ]

Actually a pretty good flick.  I'll give it a 7/10.  Great acting and a side of ol Franklin R I didn't know.

Say, that does look like a pretty good movie.

[youtube:3eneruht]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R898wegx6Y[/youtube:3eneruht]

SGOS

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"YAY!  Us too.   Just rented this from Redbox --- we thought it was fantastic!  A bit cheesy but who cares?
I think "cheesy" was intentional by the director.  In fact for me, it was part of the charm.

Jutter

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
Lazenby owns the action sequences, but not the Bond part. Telly Savalas does an admirable Blowfeld. Diana Rigg is smoking hot.
The middle part drags on for a little too long. The bobseigh chase gives a novel finale, but soon afterwards the film ends all too abrubtly.
7/10

Diamonds Are Forever (1971)
Some of the 007-films turn the formula into a parody of itself. Moonraker and Die Another Day are two later examples, this was the first.
Blowfeld's henchmen laughably fail at being menacing. The fightscene in an Amsterdam elevator is okay. However..the encounter with Bambi and Thumper, and kiddy-sized trikes chasing some stupid looking  moonbuggy make the movey more memorable than the first two Bonds, but for the wrong reason. The composite effects (explosions added in post production) are outright crap; probably because the bulk of the budget got swallowed up by Mr Connery's astronomical fee.
5/10

My favorite Connery Bonds: Goldfinger and Thunderball.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

stromboli

Quote from: "Solitary"The series written or on film I highly recommend is this: The Millennium series consists of three bestselling novels, originally written in Swedish, by the late Stieg Larsson (1954–2004). The two primary characters in the saga are Lisbeth Salander, a woman in her twenties with a photographic memory and poor social skills, and Mikael Blomkvist, an investigative journalist and editor of a magazine called Millennium. Blomkvist, the character, has a history similar to Larsson, the author. Larsson planned the series as having ten installments, but due to his sudden death, only three were completed and published.[1] Those three books are:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Män som hatar kvinnor, literally, Men who hate women) (2005)

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Flickan som lekte med elden, literally, The girl who played with fire) (2006)

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Luftslottet som sprängdes, literally, The air castle that was blown up) (2007)

Bill

Seconded. I recommended this earlier before the forum died. I still think Rooney Mara was the better protagonist (American version) but Noomi Rapace isn't bad either. The Swedish version is being shown every now and then on the Sundance Channel. Very involving story with an intricate plot.

Shiranu

I loved the Swedish version, yet to see the American. I give it a 8.75/10 on a critical scale.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

gussy

I've always thought of James Bond films in general as satire.  They all use the same formula and all have the same ending.  Taking them seriously is difficult.  I've always enjoyed the more over the top ones (generally starring Roger Moore).  The more recent ones have had a more serious tone and I don't think that it helps the series.

Notthesun

The Purge - It was alright. I like the concept, but they went too small with it.

Grade: C-
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Notthesun"The Purge - It was alright. I like the concept, but they went too small with it.

Grade: C-

Yeah. A reviewer I watch said the premise had a lot of promise, but instead they simply remade The Strangers, which was a fucking awful movie in the first place.

WitchSabrina

I'm not sure I can take seeing Jason Stathman getting his ass kicked.  *shakes head*  Noooo!  I need him to be the Transporter in Every Movie.

*weeps*