News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

New Chapelle special was really good, the closing story was a lot heavier than I expected shit to get.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on October 09, 2021, 08:11:24 PM
New Chapelle special was really good, the closing story was a lot heavier than I expected shit to get.

You mean aside from the part where he was being really transphobic and complaining about "cancel culture?"
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 10, 2021, 12:40:48 AM
You mean aside from the part where he was being really transphobic and complaining about "cancel culture?"

I guess so, since I didn't see either happening?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on October 10, 2021, 01:34:37 PM
I guess so, since I didn't see either happening?

Is this not the show where he spread misinformation about JK Rowling being cancelled and labeled himself a trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF)?

For reference:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1446435231938973696
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 10, 2021, 02:20:11 PM
Is this not the show where he spread misinformation about JK Rowling being cancelled and labeled himself a trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF)?

For reference:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1446435231938973696

he calls himself transphobic throughout the standup because he is making fun of the people who call him that because they cant take a joke. The entire show was him saying, "Fine, yall gonna call me offensive? I'll give you something to be offended about."

Not one instance does he call for violence or meanness towards the LGBTQ+ community; in fact his ending story is about how those same people calling him transphobic bullied a transgender comedian (Daphne Dorman) to the point she committed suicide because she stood up for him. When people bully  a friend of yours to the point she kills herself, I think you earn the right to be an offensive asshole right back to them.

He is a comedian who makes offensive jokes; Is Jimmy Carr a pedophile because he makes a shitload of jokes about fucking kids? Probably not.

Also, that clip leaves out the punch line, which... he ain't wrong.

https://twitter.com/MyMovieFixPod/status/1446755317275107330

Cassia

People have been telling me that Cheech and Chong movies are so funny for years.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on October 15, 2021, 08:27:56 AM
People have been telling me that Cheech and Chong movies are so funny for years.
Definitely a niche market.

SGOS

Cheech and Chong had a reputation for being wildly funny.  They were a big hit with a lot of hippys.  I don't recall anyone in the establishment thinking they were funny, which I thought was odd because mostly they were making fun of hippys.  I only saw one Cheech and Chong movie.  My friends, all thought it was hilarious, but I never had any compelling drive to see them again after that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on October 16, 2021, 06:41:50 AM
Cheech and Chong had a reputation for being wildly funny.  They were a big hit with a lot of hippys.  I don't recall anyone in the establishment thinking they were funny, which I thought was odd because mostly they were making fun of hippys.  I only saw one Cheech and Chong movie.  My friends, all thought it was hilarious, but I never had any compelling drive to see them again after that.
"Dave's not here!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on October 16, 2021, 10:18:23 AM
Exactly!
Setting on the fantail of a guided missile destroyer cruising through the Straits of Magellan, trippin' balls. Perfect backdrop for a C&C album.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

I was high as a kite, still didn't find Cheech and Chong funny.

Sad, because I like both of them as well.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on October 16, 2021, 12:44:09 PM
I was high as a kite, still didn't find Cheech and Chong funny.

Sad, because I like both of them as well.
They reminded me of the guys I knew in high school, the ones that volunteered to help mow the school grounds because they couldn't stand sitting in a study hall.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on October 15, 2021, 08:27:56 AM
They were somewhat amusing.  Not really funny.  But then Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis were not all that funny either.  Even Abbott and Costello movies were not that good.  Their skits were usually funny as hell, but the movies were just too long.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

I think cheech and Chong best piece was the kamikaze….”Any questions?”  “You out your fuckin mind?”
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust