Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 01, 2021, 01:43:13 AM
Star Trek has kinda been a mess lately in terms of message:

I could swear that these two series are entirely unrelated.

Piccard's vineyard is actually just a front for his cannabis production, he had to make some dough after leaving Star Fleet.

I didn't remember just how... D.A.R.E. the Next Generation sounded lol. But holy hell, that is a hard 180.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Classic Trek certainly could come across as preachy, but I appreciated that they didn't just frown upon addiction (so many other 80s and 90s programs just stopped there) - they showed that the characters are self-actualized people striving to be their best selves, busying themselves with career and education and entertainment and socializing as fellow adults, so becoming a problem drinker or junkie makes sense as a huge step down from that sort of life.

drunkenshoe

Finding Nemo. I'd seen it first around back then when it came out. Probably, one of the best things ever made, imho.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

The idea that humans eliminate the need for money, as all human needs are provided for, is quite optimistic to say the least. The elites at the top would not easily give up their power over others. They'd fight that kind of progress as long as they could. Hell, at this point, I'm doubting we will even live to survive to the 24th century. Just look at how we're handling climate change. We're not. We have a tendency to ignore problems until they get too bad, and then use pseudoscience in the place of the real thing once the problem gets too hard to ignore. Even when the sea levels rise, hurricanes become more frequent and more dangerous, and all that other stuff, there will be people blaming it on other things and refusing to get on board with expert recommendations.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

I've resigned myself to the fact I will probably die in my late 40s (if I'm lucky, late 50s) either violently over resource shortage, or just starve to death. All in all, could be worse; that's probably a good 20 years longer than 99.99% of humanity lived historically.

I don't see civilization really making it past 2100, and humanity itself will be iffy on if it ever recovers.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 01, 2021, 03:04:15 PMThe idea that humans eliminate the need for money, as all human needs are provided for, is quite optimistic to say the least.
Well, if I told someone living in the 12th century that most people in the 21st century are literate, highly educated, have all sorts of gadgets with ludicrous amounts of information stored on them, have weird jobs like Senior VP of Social Media Messaging, slavery has been outlawed, peace is the norm in most of the world, kings aren't really a thing anymore, overindulging in food is more common than food deprivation, spices are plentiful and cheap, etc they'd think I was absolutely nuts.  In fact, if I gave them a tour of even a fairly quaint town, they'd likely die from a heart attack from overexcitement.

Why not assume that our own future will be equally as bizarre to us?

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on September 01, 2021, 03:33:15 PMI don't see civilization really making it past 2100, and humanity itself will be iffy on if it ever recovers.
It's crunch time for us as a species.  We have to transition how we do things into a way that's much more sustainable or we're screwed.  We have to make it into space or we're screwed.  And if we collapse now, succeeding generations won't be able to climb as fast because those resources will be depleted and unavailable.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 01, 2021, 04:03:14 PM
It's crunch time for us as a species.  We have to transition how we do things into a way that's much more sustainable or we're screwed.  We have to make it into space or we're screwed.  And if we collapse now, succeeding generations won't be able to climb as fast because those resources will be depleted and unavailable.
I used to think that our species was on a very, very slow rise.  That we would overcome all thrown at us.  I don't think so anymore.  Since Bush was first elected, my sensitivity to human stupidity has become more pronounced.  The past 5 years has blown that out of the water.  We are dangerously stupid--probably fatally so.  I think I am too old to see the end start unfolding.  At least I hope so.  As Forrest says--Stupid is as stupid does.  And we have been doing stupid quite well, lately.  And we are perfecting it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 01, 2021, 06:16:34 PM
I used to think that our species was on a very, very slow rise.  That we would overcome all thrown at us.  I don't think so anymore.  Since Bush was first elected, my sensitivity to human stupidity has become more pronounced.  The past 5 years has blown that out of the water.  We are dangerously stupid--probably fatally so.  I think I am too old to see the end start unfolding.  At least I hope so.  As Forrest says--Stupid is as stupid does.  And we have been doing stupid quite well, lately.  And we are perfecting it.

I look at it like wild game and overpopulation; our natural instinct of self-preservation and replication is paradoxly also self-destructive and species ending.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on September 01, 2021, 07:11:14 PM
I look at it like wild game and overpopulation; our natural instinct of self-preservation and replication is paradoxly also self-destructive and species ending.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgS1Lwr8gq8

He's not wrong.

PopeyesPappy

The Vault

Classic bank heist film about breaking into the Bank of Spain's famous flooding vault in order to retrieve the coordinates to Sir Francis Drake's hidden pirate treasure. Not the best movie I've seen but worth a watch.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Shiranu

The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf

Absolutely brilliant movie, but I will be completely honest that damn near anything Witcher will be heavily tainted with bias. A surprising thing to me was that even though the character design was so different and the voice actor a new one... Vesimir truly felt like Vesimir to me. Something in the way he talk just felt... right... for the character.

Learning more about the world before Geralt was also extremely interesting. Nothing but full recommendations for this movie if you like the Witcher series.

SGOS

Archive 2020 is a film worth looking into.  It had a limited release at theaters in 2020 because of covid.  I watched it once and liked it, and then put it away until last night.  It's a British sci fi film and is engaging but hard to follow.  You don't know what's going on until the end, and then it still left me hanging, because i wanted more.

Hydra009

Gawdzilla Sama

So, just pretend #3 never happened? I'm good with that. I just hope they don't use a lot of CGI, we're over that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers