News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Till Death
Megan Fox is NOT the worst actress you have ever seen.  She redeems herself in this movie, and I've got to tell you, I WAS surprised.  The first 20 minutes drag, but the film gradually pulls you in while the tension builds in this bloody thriller.

aitm

Beer and potato chips, old style French onion dip and settled for the comedy Hitmans wife’s bodyguard….or whatever the hell it is. Goofy, dumb, but fun and a couple surprise in characters that makes one just giggle. Will never become a cult movie…even goofier than Rocky Horror, but at the end I realized I enjoyed it and had fun. That’s a win for me.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on August 17, 2021, 08:21:16 AM
even goofier than Rocky Horror,
Goofier than Rocky Horror??  I can't believe anything could be that goofy.  Now don't get me wrong.  I love "goofy", but if anyone starts singing a musical number, I'll be outa there faster than the Red Blue Blur.

Mr.Obvious

We watched 'there will be blood' for the first time. Been meaning to watch it for a while, and now it came on TV so we recorded it.
Gf kept falling asleep, not because she didn't like it but due to genuine fatigue. And despite it being a great movie, it is not a fast paced one.
Kind of sucked that I had to watch it over the span of three nights. But it kind of added to drawing me in to see what would come next.

Loved it. Stories about greed always seem to hit home with me. Great performances overall.
Did think Eli and Paul were actually the same person for about half of the flick.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

No idea why this idea popped (or pooped) into my mind.  I wondered if any major movies have been made and released to theaters, that had no music.  Personally I like music and I like it in movies.  But then, when going about my daily life there is no music playing in the background (unless I produce it myself).  I found this article.

15 Great Movies With No Musical Score.

https://thecinemaholic.com/great-movies-with-no-musical-score/

Would you believe I have not seen a single one of these?  Has anyone seen any of these--and if so, did you miss music, or not? 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Seen "Dog Day Afternoon." Everybody was chanting "Attica! Attica! Attica!" for months after. And most of them had no idea what that meant, even after having seen the movie.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 18, 2021, 06:31:21 PM
Seen "Dog Day Afternoon." Everybody was chanting "Attica! Attica! Attica!" for months after. And most of them had no idea what that meant, even after having seen the movie.
Did you miss the music??
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Biffster

Watched Tenet a few days ago. While I was lost for the first half, I started to understand the whole reverse time travel thing more in the second half and thought the film was actually pretty cool. Nor perfect, but up there with other Chris Nolan films.

Biffster

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 18, 2021, 06:13:06 PM
No idea why this idea popped (or pooped) into my mind.  I wondered if any major movies have been made and released to theaters, that had no music.  Personally I like music and I like it in movies.  But then, when going about my daily life there is no music playing in the background (unless I produce it myself).  I found this article.

15 Great Movies With No Musical Score.

https://thecinemaholic.com/great-movies-with-no-musical-score/

Would you believe I have not seen a single one of these?  Has anyone seen any of these--and if so, did you miss music, or not?
My Dinner with André.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 18, 2021, 06:50:46 PM
Did you miss the music??
Eh? I saw the movie once, original release. /clueless
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I heard a coworker years ago tell another that he had watched Dinner with André as if it were some cinematic event.  So I rented it, but I don't think I got through the whole thing.

Hydra009

Old.  Probably the laziest, least interesting twist I've ever seen in my life.

[spoiler]Basically, it's Cabin in the Woods.  Or maybe The Scorch Trials.  That's it.  No double twist, no scifi shenanigans, nothing.  This probably wouldn't cut the mustard for a Twilight Zone episode, let alone a feature film.  But I paid, so...[/spoiler]

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 19, 2021, 11:45:56 PM
Old.  Probably the laziest, least interesting twist I've ever seen in my life.
The core idea seemed like it offered some possibility, but the trailer made it seem like people just got old.  I'm passing on it.

Shiranu

Rewatching HBO's "Chernobyl", and I think the second time around makes it so much better; at least the first episode is some of the best horror I have ever seen and I didn't realise it on first watching.

On the first viewing I was very much invested in it as a story, with my focus being on plot points and narrative. I found it plenty enjoyable watching it like this and that there were elements of horror in doing so, but I've found that if you really try to insert yourself into the eyes and mind of the characters it truly becomes one of the most terrifying pieces of media I have ever seen.

Imagine being the firefighters who are awoken by the explosion at 1:30 in the morning, receiving an all-hands-on-deck call for what you are told was a roof fire at the facility; you don't have the slightest clue of how nuclear radiation works and anyways you are only responding to a roof fire so there is nothing to worry about... until you get there and see the air glowing, the building destroyed the taste of metal in your mouth and your skin starts to sunburn in the middle of the night.

Next to you a coworker picks up a strange piece of rock, and minutes later you hear him screaming in pain and his hand literally bursting open with wounds and burns... and then you are told it's not good enough to sit outside this building, you need to go inside to put the fire out. You still don't really know what's going on, but you're being told it's what you have to do.

Now imagine that from top to bottom, no one knows what is actually going on... and the few who have a clue are either in denial or hiding it because they fear the governing party more than the radiation that they do fully understand. And once you do learn what's going on... now it's even worse, because you know you are standing next to a flame that is putting out as much radiation as two Hiroshima bombs every hour.

If you can really get inside the mind of these people, it is fucking terrifying... far more than any monster flick. At least monsters are a physical creature you can in some sense understand... but this is completely beyond your average citizen's understanding and cant even be seen. It's what we don't, or can't, know or understand that is truly the most terrifying and I think the director did an amazing job of portraying the show as accurately as possible (even releasing a podcast with each episode explaining what changes they did make and why they did it) rather than over-dramatizing it; it's the fact that it was so real that makes it so terrifying.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Don't Breathe I became aware of Stephen Lang when he played Gen. Pickett in the mini-series Gettysburg. He was the man who (albeit unknowingly) informed Bobby Lee that the South had lost the war.

In this movie he's a rage-monster and he is believable to a frightening extent. Damaged in war, devastated in peace, he's relentless and merciless.

Don't Breathe 2 is out, I hope it continues at the level of the first one.
PZ Myers