News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

If you have have seen "Airplane!, 1980" you should see "Zero Hour!", 1957. You may experience some Déjà vu.

Hijiri Byakuren

I finally decided to watch a Saw film. The only one I was able to find on my streaming services was the most recent one, Jigsaw. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't quite as gory as it's hyped up to be (I'm not a big fan of gore), and the scenarios were rather enjoyable to watch for the most part. I particularly liked the scene with the shotgun keys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkgkvV-I8hk

It also had a nice thriller mystery to go along with the horror plot, another pleasant surprise. A few parts of the script could have used a bit of proofreading (a lot of things happen "ten years ago" which can't possibly all be from the same year), but other than that it was a pretty decent film. 7/10, good Halloween movie.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

GSOgymrat

Watched Bombshell last night. Very entertaining. Charlize Theron was amazing at impersonating Megan Kelly.

https://youtu.be/B2G9-KhBek8

Baruch

Interesting preview .. I like love stories, costume drama and fossils playing the bit parts ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcG0HQkVaD0
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Christmas Under the Stars  (somewhere between 2 and 8)

Tired of a constant bombardment of Trump's hate mongering and chaos while he attempts to destroy everything that is good?  Take a break and travel to the opposite extreme, as unrealistic as the the world of Trump, but instead filled with 10% idealism, 10% hope, and 80% unadulterated schmaltz.  You will shake your head in wonder at why you are watching, and if you search deep in your soul, you may even wonder why this much schmaltz doesn't make you vomit, and still makes you feel kind of good.  No this movie is not real, but it is a relief.  I won't even try to rate it.

Mr.Obvious

The hitman's bodyguard.

Really good, actually. Predictable formula. But the chemistry of the 'buddy cop' movie, just slightly out of that familiar mold, is there. It really flourishes with the leads and brings that mind numbing fun.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

I just watched the Da Vinci Code for the 2nd time after reading the book for the second time.  This time I liked the movie better than the book.  I realize none of this is insightful or interesting, but there it is.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 23, 2020, 05:56:37 PM
The hitman's bodyguard.

Really good, actually. Predictable formula. But the chemistry of the 'buddy cop' movie, just slightly out of that familiar mold, is there. It really flourishes with the leads and brings that mind numbing fun.
Jackson, the ultimate straight man, Reynolds, the ultimate goofball. And MRS. HITMAN!!!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 24, 2020, 11:25:01 AM
I just watched the Da Vinci Code for the 2nd time after reading the book for the second time.  This time I liked the movie better than the book.  I realize none of this is insightful or interesting, but there it is.

The documentary about the "Freemasonic" signs in Washington DC, that fed the second book is more interesting ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOjwVkmYMO8
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cassia

Just watched Bing Crosby in "A White Xmas" for the 1st time...Silly and sentimental flick with some cool dance numbers. I noticed the actress/dancer Vera-Ellen had a tiny waist. Google came back with 21 inches. Those old school actors could do it all act..dance..sing. I also read that costar Rosemary is George Clooney's Aunt

GSOgymrat

Coincidentally, we watched White Christmas for the first time a few days ago.  It was an enjoyable, classic movie. I too noticed Vera-Ellen's tiny waist.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Cassia on December 24, 2020, 09:42:07 PM
Just watched Bing Crosby in "A White Xmas" for the 1st time...Silly and sentimental flick with some cool dance numbers. I noticed the actress/dancer Vera-Ellen had a tiny waist. Google came back with 21 inches. Those old school actors could do it all act..dance..sing. I also read that costar Rosemary is George Clooney's Aunt

Hollywood Measurement.com, which apparently is a thing that exists, weighs in with 35-23-35" for the hyphenated Ms. Ellen. She's also listed second on their list of most popular celebrities, right between... fuck. Two people I've never heard of. Probably because most people look her up after seeing White Christmas this time of year, also noticing her freakishly slender waist.

There were rumors that she had an eating disorder. White Christmas was cited as evidence since her neck was covered during most of that movie, allegedly to hide the wrinkling of the neck that can occur with anorexia. Those who were close to her denied these rumors, stating she just worked out a fuckload to keep in shape (direct quote).

She may have been able to sing, but in man of her credits, a dubbed in singer was used. In White Christmas it was a singer named Trudy Stevens, except for "Sisters" where Rosemary Clooney sings both parts.

Personally, I've never seen this movie. It sound racist.

Blackleaf

White Christmas is referring to the snow. I don't remember anything in the movie being overtly racist. There are no important characters who aren't white, of course. Old movies are like that. But there's also a song which could be seen as mocking crossdressers, if you take it too seriously. But I don't think even that was intentional. If I remember right, the song is meant to be performed by the sisters, but the male leads take their place while the sisters escape people who are pursuing them.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on December 24, 2020, 09:42:07 PM
Just watched Bing Crosby in "A White Xmas" for the 1st time...Silly and sentimental flick with some cool dance numbers.
I saw that at the theater when it first came out.  As an eleven year old, I thought it was OK.  I rented it a couple years ago, and was not impressed at all the second time.  It's a typical 1950s musical, except with something that could pass for a plot, although a weak plot.

Baruch

White Christmas?  What, no lightsabers no aliens?  There are a lot of good old movies and TV shows.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.