News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

I have seen The Lost Boys when I was a kid. I should see it again. I vaguely remember it. Weird... I dunno why I haven't seen it later again.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 28, 2020, 10:12:09 PM
Oh my gawd. I was at the last grade of high school, it was a cult movie. It was esp. popular among boys.

We said 'It can't rain all the time' to each other whenever feeling bad for a decade after that movie.
I heard about it from the woman who cuts my hair.  We were talking about superhero films and she mentioned her favorite was The Crow.  I'd never heard of it and thought how can that be?  It must have been before I developed an interest in movies. So I found it on ebay or Amazon or something and bought it. It's time to find that one in my collection and watch it again.  I've found other movies of that genre that flew under my radar.  They are older but not advertised well enough, and may have just seemed like some old movie that I never bothered seeing.  Electra with Jennifer Garner was one I missed when it happened.  I guess they were heroes that Marvel discarded, or didn't receive as much welcome from the public.

Baruch

The Crow was interesting, a modern gothic take on Batman-like vigilantism.  I would never do a revenge fantasy myself.

On Romantic Comedy ... wasn't that how your SO experience went?  It was my SO experience.  And yes, in reality, the relationship goes on, until it doesn't and then in old age you get back together again, but different.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Oddly enough, the last movie I watched was 'A Christmas Story' while staying at the house next door to the actual 'A Christmas Story' house in Cleveland (the 'Bumpus House').  I don't know how my cousin got to be in his 70s without ever having seen it, so we watched it.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on November 05, 2020, 01:49:47 AM
Oddly enough, the last movie I watched was 'A Christmas Story' while staying at the house next door to the actual 'A Christmas Story' house in Cleveland (the 'Bumpus House').  I don't know how my cousin got to be in his 70s without ever having seen it, so we watched it.
Is the Bumpus House for rent?  I heard the Christmas Story House is available for rent by the night.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on November 05, 2020, 04:52:25 AM
Is the Bumpus House for rent?  I heard the Christmas Story House is available for rent by the night.
Both can be rented -- we stayed on the first floor of the Bumpus House, and it's really nice.  The upper unit has the second floor and a loft.  And you can stay in the Christmas Story house itself.  If you want it on Christmas proper it is a) booked for the next five years at least and b) $4000 for that one night.  The Rowley, the restaurant across the street, is fantastic.  I had an albino stout and a pecan brown that I am keeping an eye out for here in town, and I can definitely recommend the chicken paprikas.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on November 05, 2020, 10:00:50 AM
Both can be rented -- we stayed on the first floor of the Bumpus House, and it's really nice.  The upper unit has the second floor and a loft.  And you can stay in the Christmas Story house itself.  If you want it on Christmas proper it is a) booked for the next five years at least and b) $4000 for that one night.  The Rowley, the restaurant across the street, is fantastic.  I had an albino stout and a pecan brown that I am keeping an eye out for here in town, and I can definitely recommend the chicken paprikas.
None of that sounds the way it looked in the movie, which showed a rundown neighborhood, not unlike many of neighborhoods where I grew up in the Chicago suburbs.  I don't recall a restaurant across the street in the movie.  The neighborhood back then would not have been a place to go eat.  Much of what I liked about the movie was that it took me back to my childhood and the family I grew up with, the bullies, the classrooms, the dress, the cars, the coal burning furnace in the basement, the push button wall switches, and the culture.  And I always wanted a Daisy Air Rifle, which my parent's wouldn't let me have because I could shoot my eye out.  That movie captured my past better than any movie I can think of.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on November 05, 2020, 10:12:36 AM
None of that sounds the way it looked in the movie, which showed a rundown neighborhood, not unlike many of neighborhoods where I grew up in the Chicago suburbs.  I don't recall a restaurant across the street in the movie.  The neighborhood back then would not have been a place to go eat.  Much of what I liked about the movie was that it took me back to my childhood and the family I grew up with, the bullies, the classrooms, the dress, the cars, the coal burning furnace in the basement, the push button wall switches, and the culture.  And I always wanted a Daisy Air Rifle, which my parent's wouldn't let me have because I could shoot my eye out.  That movie captured my past better than any movie I can think of.
The restaurant isn't contemporary with the story (although it fits in really well), but the neighborhood definitely feels right for that house and family.  It's quite close to downtown; the back yard overlooks an old steelyard.  The guy who bought and renovated the house has set up a fund for locals to assist in renovating their own properties.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 05, 2020, 10:12:36 AM

Beat you on one thing, I did get a Daisy from my parents.  And I did shoot my thumb (which was over the end of the barrel).  Ouch!  I did nearly put my eye out accidentally, but that was because I was trying to sneak a peak at some girls, and lost situational awareness.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

If you enjoyed The Hunt, you may like ANTEBELLUM.  Both movies have a similar weirdness about them, which is something I usually enjoy.

Weird (my definition):  fanciful, sometimes in a morbid way with an emphasis on strange and not done before.

Mike Cl

In these times of sleepless nights, I caught A Knights Tale on late night tv.  2001 movie that stars Heath Ledger.  Set in the medieval times and follows a page's assent into the world of jousting.  For me, it is a feel-good type movie where the underdog finally prevails.  And the sound track is fantastic; critics panned it because it was rock and roll, not classical music.  But it fit the theme and the mood--one of my favorite soundtracks.  We Will Roccccck You!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 06, 2020, 09:50:27 AMcritics panned it because it was rock and roll
Pure conjecture here, but imho, if medieval knights had access to rock music, most of them would grow to love it.  Especially on campaign.  Metal, too.  Anything with bass drums.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 06, 2020, 09:50:27 AM
In these times of sleepless nights, I caught A Knights Tale on late night tv.  2001 movie that stars Heath Ledger.  Set in the medieval times and follows a page's assent into the world of jousting.  For me, it is a feel-good type movie where the underdog finally prevails.  And the sound track is fantastic; critics panned it because it was rock and roll, not classical music.  But it fit the theme and the mood--one of my favorite soundtracks.  We Will Roccccck You!

The rock music was Ok as such, and broke the 4th wall.  The girl blacksmith was appropriate, as one of my daughter's best friends was just that kind of girl.  She had thieves try to steal her anvil out of the back of her pickup one night, but they all died from hernias ;-)  Actual armor workers went deaf from the loud banging all day, every day.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

This was my blackball movie ... Constantine, not Matrix, but the same actor ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzukJ90emEE

I am on a race with mortality, to burn my own secularity straight to Hell.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

LoriPinkAngel

I actually went to a movie in a theater.  We saw Honest Thief with Liam Neeson. I was a good film.   We ordered the tickets online and chose our seats.  I think there were maybe 5 other people in the theater.  It was really weird.