News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

The lizards with "Lee Press-On Fins" were a hoot.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Come to think of it, the name of the horse Sea Bisquit raced against was War Admiral, not War Horse.

Baruch

Quote from: Cassia on August 16, 2020, 04:36:42 PM
How did you all feel when you first saw Jurassic Park? I saw it on the big screen and let me just say that dinosaur movies looked pretty sad and unbelievable before JP I. The series didn't progress as well as it may have but I will never forget the sense of awe and terror when these creatures first "came to life" in my eyes.

I saw the book first, before the movie.  Read the book review.  The idea of it made me say to myself "oh shit, bad idea".  Love dinosaurs otherwise.  We have a T-Rex in our local museum.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 16, 2020, 06:40:06 PM
The lizards with "Lee Press-On Fins" were a hoot.

I always wondered what they gave the lizards to make them fight.  Showed them a girl lizard "you can have her if you kill the other guy"?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on August 16, 2020, 04:36:42 PM
How did you all feel when you first saw Jurassic Park? I saw it on the big screen and let me just say that dinosaur movies looked pretty sad and unbelievable before JP I. The series didn't progress as well as it may have but I will never forget the sense of awe and terror when these creatures first "came to life" in my eyes.
I though it was one of the best movies I've ever seen.  I was awestruck and inspired by the first half - the idea of cloning dinosaurs back to life seemed possible, especially a few years later when Dolly the sheep was born.  I should've been a bit more critical of the "extra" DNA to fill in the gaps, but kid me didn't know any better.  I really liked the idea of some remote island serving as an ecological sandbox for ambitious scientists (the tourism business model seemed kinda iffy even to kid me, a lot of people might be too scared to go - little did I know that in-universe the demand for a dino theme park dropped off, lol).

The second half was absolutely terrifying.  Even that electric fence dad joke was scary.  And I have Newman's rain-soaked encounter with a Spitter forever seared into my mind.  I still think about it sometimes when my car breaks down and remember to check all the seats after fixing with the problem.  One thousand times scarier than the T-Rex.

The Velociraptor "clever girl" scenes were horrifying, but any decent melee weapon would work wonders at evening up the score.  I'm a little less terrified of them after realizing that they were misnamed Deinonychus and the real Velociraptors were much smaller.

Every now and then, I get annoyed with the science of the film being inaccurate.  Imho, they should never have included a T-Rex in the film - those are Cretaceous creatures - but that's what gets asses in seats, so whatcha gonna do.  *shrugs*

I bought a pack of Jurassic Park-themed playing cards and they were the bomb!  The fronts of the cards used stills from the movie.  I played with them all the time until I lost them.  C'est la vie.

Hydra009

And you know what, unlike Jeff Goldblum's character, I'm genuinely in favor of using science to revive and conserve endangered and select extinct species, especially ones of great cultural or scientific or practical interest.  Especially after the main cause(s) of their extinction have been removed or greatly reduced.  Needless to say, poaching said species would be HIGHLY illegal.

If I had the technology at my disposal, I would sail across the stars, build a space station near a lifeless but potentially life-supporting planet, and intentionally seed it with life, creating a new Eden.  It would be periodically surveyed with drones (biodegradable, of course).  A pristine world of nature unbounded and therefore forbidden to people - attempt no landings there.  Not a mere curiosity, but a grand experiment in the course of evolution and a world whose biological treasures can be sampled and used for new medicines and foodstuffs and who knows what else.  That space station could even have a private garden with the rarest fruits and vegetables in the galaxy.  A lot of work for a salad and glass of juice, a philistine might say.  The garden is just the cherry on top - the real accomplishment is the joyful act of creating, making endless forms most beautiful appear as if by invocation...

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 16, 2020, 11:48:49 PM
And you know what, unlike Jeff Goldblum's character, I'm genuinely in favor of using science to revive and conserve endangered and select extinct species, especially ones of great cultural or scientific or practical interest.  Especially after the main cause(s) of their extinction have been removed or greatly reduced.  Needless to say, poaching said species would be HIGHLY illegal.

IMO, I think a park like Jurassic Park would work IRL. The only reason it failed was because John Hammond was a lying asshole and a complete moron. He hired ONE GUY TO program everything. And why did he pick Dennis Nedry? Because he was the cheapest. Overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated. Spared no expense my ass. No wonder he betrayed them.

Of course, it also didn't help that the only thing between dinosaurs and the guests was an electric fence. It doesn't take a genius to realize a power outage would end in disaster. For all its problems, Jurassic World actually got that right. It's a little more believable when shit goes down in that movie.

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 16, 2020, 11:48:49 PMIf I had the technology at my disposal, I would sail across the stars, build a space station near a lifeless but potentially life-supporting planet, and intentionally seed it with life, creating a new Eden.  It would be periodically surveyed with drones (biodegradable, of course).  A pristine world of nature unbounded and therefore forbidden to people - attempt no landings there.  Not a mere curiosity, but a grand experiment in the course of evolution and a world whose biological treasures can be sampled and used for new medicines and foodstuffs and who knows what else.  That space station could even have a private garden with the rarest fruits and vegetables in the galaxy.  A lot of work for a salad and glass of juice, a philistine might say.  The garden is just the cherry on top - the real accomplishment is the joyful act of creating, making endless forms most beautiful appear as if by invocation...

That sounds like the plot of a book. Imagine a story about space poachers infiltrating the space station, and the extinct species turn out to be a bit more than they can handle.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

I can't remember when I first watched Jurassic Park. I remember being at my grandmother's house when I heard family members talking about a dinosaur movie. I said I wanted to see it, but my mom said it was too scary. That just made me more curious. I'm sure I liked it, though. I still do. Despite the continuity errors, it's still the best of the movies.

That being said, I enjoyed all of the movies in the series. Lost World, Jurassic Park III, Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom. I understand the criticisms, but none if the movies are perfect, even the original. I just think they're fun.

I also enjoyed some of the video games. Jurassic Park on the Genesis is hard AF, and a bit wonky (especially with the final boss, which requires frame perfect precision). Operation Genesis was a cool park simulator, and I'd occasionally let the dinosaurs out on purpose to see what happened (after saving, of course). Jurassic World: Evolution is pretty similar to Operation Genesis, but it has many more dinosaurs to choose from, and you can alter their genes to change their colors or stats. You can even change their preferred population size, turning a loner species like the t-rex into a pack animal. The more changes you make, though, the greater of the chance the incubation will fail. Dinosaurs will even sometimes interact with guests from the other side of the fence. I've seen brontosauruses stand at the gate and watch the people pass by. Then one of them makes a noise, and the passersby act frightened. Carnivores will stare at guests on the viewing platforms and occasionally roar at them. They're apparently working on a sequel, and I'm very much looking forward to it. Maybe we'll get aquatic and avian creatures, like the fans had been asking for.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 17, 2020, 02:01:13 AMI also enjoyed some of the video games. Jurassic Park on the Genesis is hard AF, and a bit wonky (especially with the final boss, which requires frame perfect precision).
I played it on Super Nintendo, but it was super hard.  For starters, the character is always in the middle of the screen and the game scrolls as you move, which wouldn't be so bad except there's like 20 feet between your character and the edge of the screen and these dinos come at you FAST.  Imagine walking around irl and you can only 20 feet in front of you.  I'd get run over trying to cross the street.

Mr.Obvious

JP2 for Gameboy.
Top 5 of childhood handheld games, easily.
Allong with Pokémon blue, Pokémon gold, tmnt back to the sewers and Tetris. 5th place, I need to think about.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

I'm watching Pacific Rim and I have yet to find a good reason why a kaiju can't just be downed by aircraft.  On a related note: I don't understand why aircraft have to fly so close to the kaiju that it can reach out and snap them in half.

Also, I'm kinda mystified as to why Kaiju - whose primary weapons are close range - aren't engaged at long range.  Either with aircraft or coastal cannons or cruise missiles from naval ships.

Am I making sense?  Cause I feel like I've taken crazy pills.

Hydra009

I'd prefer aircraft and missiles not just for the obvious reasons (it kinda makes sense to use tech you already have), but also because aircraft and missiles can be launched in minutes while god knows how long it takes to startup and transport a mech to the battlefield. (what's the weight on these things?)  Any plausible timetable would probably be an hour or two.

drunkenshoe

I lost my head for the first Jurassic Park movie. I was 18. I ran away from school and watched it 8 times on big screen. I teared up at the scene Ellie and Alan saw the brachiosaurus...her soft, deep, primal sound. Sigh. (I have just gone and watched it when I saw you guys are talking about the movie,lol). And then I fell in love with velociraptors forever.

Honestly, I never expect Jurassic movies to be realistic. I watch them to see 'dinosaurs', they have secured me long time ago. I turn in to a 12 year old kid, rooting for them when they start to eat people. But yeah last one sucked the worst.

It does have a good universal message. Creating something so powerful you can't control or deal with, not respecting/considering any other power than yours to begin with. That's so human, it is like the best sum in pop culture. In the first one, our dear chaotician has good lines to point all that out. Also "Life finds a way" is a good start to teach any little kid about evolution.

And Seabiscuit! I forgot about that movie. I cried like a baby. We, a few friends, have a silly theory that you shouldn't trust anyone who doesn't get emotional or teary about true stories like that.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 25, 2020, 12:19:19 AM
I'm watching Pacific Rim and I have yet to find a good reason why a kaiju can't just be downed by aircraft.  On a related note: I don't understand why aircraft have to fly so close to the kaiju that it can reach out and snap them in half.

Also, I'm kinda mystified as to why Kaiju - whose primary weapons are close range - aren't engaged at long range.  Either with aircraft or coastal cannons or cruise missiles from naval ships.

Am I making sense?  Cause I feel like I've taken crazy pills.
It's a direct result of the Rock'em Sock'em Robots not being able to deliver a flying drop kick.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

I just watched The Color Out Of Space.  Well, that escalated quickly.  âŽ' out of ⏣

In short, it's odd and weird and strange and creepy and perplexing and harrowing and profoundly terribly wrong wrong wrong and I...I can't even words.  *chuckles*

It's like The Tommyknockers combined with Signs and a little bit of the Shining.  And I'm pretty sure I got a contact high.