Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 09, 2020, 05:57:54 PM
We watched the Ben-Hur remake.

Been a long while since I've seen the original.
Good flick. Worthy remake.
Better jesus-movie than the passion of the christ, that's for certain.
But that's not saying a lot in and by itself.

Yes, the sea fight scene and the Roman soldiers chanting on entering Jerusalem were improvements.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Seabiscuit

Never saw this one before.
Pretty damn good.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Educating Rita

It's probably 40 years old, and Michael Caine is a lot younger (but he still looks kind of old).  It's almost a romance, but really about being friends.  It's one of those old movies I enjoyed and wanted to see again.  I had to buy the DVD for Region 2, but I have a Region 2 DVD player for such occasions.  It's still a good film that plays to the heart.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 10, 2020, 03:21:37 PM
Seabiscuit

Never saw this one before.
Pretty damn good.
It's hard to imagine someone being so late seeing that one. It's definitely in my top 20 favorites.  Maybe even my top 10.  When it was released 10 years ago, a competing studio put out Secretariat, another true horse story.  Not being a follower of horse racing, but not being one to dismiss it, I was captivated by both films.  So while they followed the common plot of "little guy becomes a success," I actually had fun learning about what happened in both films.  Secretariat is also a top 20 contender.  Not knowing anything about either horse, other than Secretariat's familiar name, I was blown away by the ending of Secretariat, which caught me completely off guard.  I'm going to pull it out of my collection and watch it again tonight.  It's that good.

Gawdzilla Sama

Have you seen "War Horse"?

"Based on a true story."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 15, 2020, 08:17:01 AM
Have you seen "War Horse"?

"Based on a true story."
I didn't know there was a movie about War Horse, but I will see if it's on Netfliks DVD, and if not I'll check Amazon and ebay.  eBay I've found is often the cheapest source.  Incidentally after posting, I looked up both Sea Biscuit and Secretariat, and it turns out that Sea Biscuit is a descendant of War Horse, and Secretariat is a descendant of both.  It "runs" in the family, apparently.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Loves Seabiscuit, and war horse haven’t seen secretariat. Don’t know how I missed that one. Would watch sea biscuit again, can’t watch war horse, too emotional for me...I’m such a pussy that way. But hey if you guys like tough horses, you should also watch Hildalgo, although the truthfulness of it is questionable it’s still a fairly good movie.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Oops!  I think it's a different War Horse, but I only skimmed Wiki.  I remember when War Horse came out, but from coming attractions I gathered that it was about a gallant horse that was used in WWI, and I guess I wasn't in the mood at that time, but generally, I like films about animals, until they start to get gooey.  There's been a few of those about dogs recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Horse_(film)

$3.20 plus shipping at ebay

Gawdzilla Sama

Yeah, I was talking about the WWI horse, didn't know there was a thoroughbred by that name, even it would highly unlikely there wouldn't be one such.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 15, 2020, 11:13:32 AM
Yeah, I was talking about the WWI horse, didn't know there was a thoroughbred by that name, even it would highly unlikely there wouldn't be one such.
I wouldn't have know that either, except for the fact that in the movie, War Horse was Sea Biscuit's eventual boss match.

Cassia

How did you all feel when you first saw Jurassic Park? I saw it on the big screen and let me just say that dinosaur movies looked pretty sad and unbelievable before JP I. The series didn't progress as well as it may have but I will never forget the sense of awe and terror when these creatures first "came to life" in my eyes.

Gawdzilla Sama

The T-rex ruined every Harryhausen there ever was. But Ray's critters ared still cool.
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cassia on August 16, 2020, 04:36:42 PM
How did you all feel when you first saw Jurassic Park? I saw it on the big screen and let me just say that dinosaur movies looked pretty sad and unbelievable before JP I. The series didn't progress as well as it may have but I will never forget the sense of awe and terror when these creatures first "came to life" in my eyes.

Still the best dino-movie I've seen.
Including all the Jurassic Park and -World movies, Ice age 3, the land before time, Dinosaur, The Lost World, We're back! A dinosaur's movie, and a few others I forget.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

I remember those old dinosaurs.  Even as a little kid, my friends and I would laugh at how fakey they were.  The motion was the worst thing.  As stationary models, they may have looked pretty good, but they couldn't get the movement right.