Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Shiranu on July 06, 2020, 05:12:11 PM
Akira - 1988

Highly, highly disappointed in it. Always heard it was a masterpiece and the film that got the West into anime but it didn't do much for me. Would not recommend. The later-half was at least bearable, but the first hour I had to watch in 20 minute chunks because it was just too boring.

I remember being really impressed by Akira in '90 or '91... and then when I saw it some ten, twelve years later, it rapidly devolved into MST3K night.  It really didn't age well at all; I think it was only because I had never seen animation quite like that before, being used to try to tell a serious story rather than be a 'cartoon movie'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on July 06, 2020, 07:04:11 PM
Also, it's not slow motion.  It only looks that way because space is big.  I run realtime simulations in Universe Sandbox on these sorts of themes all the time.  One thinks of a supernova as blasting a solar system into cinders in an instant -- nope, the speed of light is still the speed limit.  I've set the sun to go supernova and let it run in realtime.  The light still takes eight minutes to get there -- Earth is toast within about half an hour of the sun going boom, but only because of the additional radiated energy across the spectrum.  The actual debris and shock wave takes about two hours to get to the Earth.
So absolutely yes, viewed from that distance, an asteroid impact like that would look like it's in slow motion, even though it's happening at tens of thousands of miles an hour.  An asteroid moving at 40,000 miles an hour is still going to take six hours or so to cross the Earth/Moon distance.

As far as the soundtrack for the end of the world, that'd be a good one to go out on.  :)
Have you read "Rescue Party"? https://www.baen.com/Chapters/0743498747/0743498747___1.htm
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on July 06, 2020, 07:04:11 PMAs far as the soundtrack for the end of the world, that'd be a good one to go out on.  :)
I'm a bit partial to Yakety Sax.  I suppose we'll have to create a playlist.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 06, 2020, 09:12:53 PM
I'm a bit partial to Yakety Sax.  I suppose we'll have to create a playlist.
I really can't see my way clear to denying Yakkity Sax as the outro music for humanity.  Bob knows we're fucked up enough to make it appropriate.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote"You know," he said to Rugon, "I feel rather afraid of these people. Suppose they don't like our little Federation?" He waved once more toward the star-clouds that lay massed across the screen, glowing with the light of their countless suns.

"Something tells me they'll be very determined people," he added. "We had better be polite to them. After all, we only outnumber them about a thousand million to one."

Rugon laughed at his captain's little joke.

Twenty years afterward, the remark didn't seem funny.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

For thirteen year old me that was a hell of a lot of new stuff that I had to work on. Loved it.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Atlas Shrugged Part 1 ...

I read the book when I was in HS, because my mother urged it on me.  Then went on to read everything Ayn Rand wrote.  But I didn't become a Republican.

From my POV, Atlas Shrugged is about a worldwide corrupt Elite who are trashing the world with their callous incompetence.  But there are a few Elite left, who are Chads.  People who can both talk the talk and walk the walk ... what if they abandoned the Karens and the Normies to their fate?

Who is John Galt?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

I read Atlas Shrugged in college and remember it being very long with elements I enjoyed and elements that seemed very heavy-handed and repetitive. I knew several people who LOVED this book. I may check out the movies since they are free on Amazon Prime.

Mike Cl

I went through an Ayn Rand period.  Loved Atlas Shrugged.  Fountainhead, not so much.  And really loved the tiny Anthem.  After college, I sort of forgot those three books.  Later I thought it would be a fun read to start on Atlas Shrugged and then the other two.  Not so much fun; wondered where my head was when I thought I loved any of that crap.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 07, 2020, 06:32:53 PM
I went through an Ayn Rand period.  Loved Atlas Shrugged.  Fountainhead, not so much.  And really loved the tiny Anthem.  After college, I sort of forgot those three books.  Later I thought it would be a fun read to start on Atlas Shrugged and then the other two.  Not so much fun; wondered where my head was when I thought I loved any of that crap.

I think a lot of the themes of Atlas Shrugged appeal to young men, especially rational types.

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 07, 2020, 06:32:53 PM
I did the same thing, but I only read Atlas Shrugged.  I think understanding that Rand was a lunatic may have taken all the fun out of her stories.  Science fiction and fantasy with a little mystery thrown in is fun, but not meant to be taken seriously as a political ideology. 

Mike Cl

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 07, 2020, 06:59:33 PM
I think a lot of the themes of Atlas Shrugged appeal to young men, especially rational types.
Yeah, you may be on to something.  I look back and wonder at myself.  How could anybody like Heinlein and Rand at the same time????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 07, 2020, 05:15:37 PM
I read Atlas Shrugged in college and remember it being very long with elements I enjoyed and elements that seemed very heavy-handed and repetitive. I knew several people who LOVED this book. I may check out the movies since they are free on Amazon Prime.

The Atlas Shrugged movie is much less pedantic ... it had to be.  The Fountainhead was made into a famous movie (1949 Gary Cooper), because it was a shorter novel, and had normal dramatic elements.  Atlas Shrugged (the book) is too long, and John Galt's speech toward the end (think V for Vendetta) was widely mocked for its length.'  The Fountainhead is about artistic integrity and architecture.  Artsy people still get upset about styles in architecture.  "The Fountainhead is the quintessentially American movie, and the most stylized and powerful presentation of a radical individualist ever presented on film."

Ayn Rand's characters tended to be as sociopathic as she was herself ;-)

"Anthem" is a post-apocalypse short story.  The bad guys are anti-technology ... so atheists like the protagonist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Rewatching the Lord of the Rings trilogy, extended edition (just like my quarantine :sad:)

The Fellowship of the Ring is a much better movie all around than from what I remember.  I think those extra scenes give it more connective tissue between the theatrical scenes.  They certainly place a lot of extra emphasis on Aragorn's lineage and on the elves in general.

The downside is that this movie is nearly 4 hours, practically a trilogy in its own right.  But having extra helpings of a great movie is a pretty nice problem to have.