News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 27, 2020, 09:54:28 PM
Imo, Mortal Kombat is the only one that has any business being a live-action movie (which makes sense considering the original game used motion capture and had a rather striking similarity to Enter the Dragon), though I admit that Resident Evil, Pokemon, and Sonic are feasible as well.  Pretty much all of the rest are DOA as far as I'm concerned.

kinda like street fighter, loved playing street fighter 2 turbo with my brother back in the day, and I got excited when they had the street fighter movies announced. Saw both, the live action movie was a mess, acting was terrible, and it felt more like a power rangers parody of street fighter. However the other street fighter movie they didn't get as much attention was the anime street fighter 2, by Gisaburō Sugii. That became The street fighter movie I always rewatched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CRqf1M2ewQ

typical case really, while japan sees anime as another legit form of entertainment, the west then and today still sees animated as just a lesser form of entertainment *coughmoderndisneycough*
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

LoriPinkAngel

I watched "The Theory of Everything,"  based on the book by Jane Hawking about the life of Steven Hawking while she was married to him.

Hydra009

Rewatched Captain America: Civil War.  Imo, it's not quite as good as I remember.  Though the airport scene was amazing, the dour and pretty miserable atmosphere made it a really tough movie to get through.  Plus, a lot of body aches could have been avoided with just a little negotiation.  Kids fight, adults talk.

While Cap did have some good points, I'm still very much on Team Iron Man for this one.  If you take a second to think about it, it really is crazy that superhumans act with impunity across national borders without any coordination or accountability.  Put a pin in the problem of accidental casualties, what I wonder about is what happens when a plane is about to crash and none of the supers are available?  Like they're offworld or something.  Or there's hostage situation in Queens while Peter Parker is taking his SAT or asleep or in europe.  3 hostages could get gunned down and he'd never know.  He's not psychic.

Ideally, there should be some sort of framework where supers are integrated into the first responder system.  Authorities could summon them to where their particular talents are needed to maximize effectiveness - Storm to a hurricane, Captain Marvel to stop a crashing jet, Hawkeye to a renaissance festival, etc.  Plus, they could provide cover stories for Peter Parker and others who live double lives.  And the teams could be tailored for each situation - the Hulk might want to smash some giant robots in downtown NYC, but when he's paired with a teleporting partner, they can teleport the combatants to someplace no one would miss, like South Carolina, and have their big fight there instead.  That'd be way better than the alternative.  Utility heroes (supers whose powers aren't well suited for combat) would benefit tremendously from teaming up, as would the combat heroes they'd be helping.

This needn't be draconian, just managed/coordinated a little bit more.

Gawdzilla Sama

The Sokovia Accords is the most contrived gimmick in a long history of comic book gimmicks.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 01, 2020, 04:32:07 AM
The Sokovia Accords is the most contrived gimmick in a long history of comic book gimmicks.
Writers must have sat around the table trying to think of something different, and someone said, "Suppose all the superheroes started fighting among themselves?"  I give credit for trying to think of something new, but that's the first plot that would have crossed my mind, and I'm no creative writer. 

Also, it happened when DC came up with the idea of Batman vs. Superman.  I don't know who thought of it first, but copying the other guy is not real creativity.  But the issue of creativity aside, I didn't care for either of those films.  Well at least relatively speaking in terms of stuff Marvel usually comes up with.  It seemed like the scenario was unlikely and the plot was contrived.  Instead of focusing on the action and entertainment, I found my thoughts wandering to the writers and wondering what they were thinking, and if they were satisfied with the outcome.  Or did they wish they would have come up with something else? 

I don't recall taking sides with one side of the issue or the other. I just remember seeing a bunch of superheroes that couldn't get their shit together.  It reminded me of a hypothetical government made up of Democrats and Republicans, with the inevitable outcome of chaos and confusion.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 01, 2020, 08:02:23 AM
Writers must have sat around the table trying to think of something different, and someone said, "Suppose all the superheroes started fighting among themselves?"  I give credit for trying to think of something new, but that's the first plot that would have crossed my mind, and I'm no creative writer. 

Also, it happened when DC came up with the idea of Batman vs. Superman.  I don't know who thought of it first, but copying the other guy is not real creativity.  But the issue of creativity aside, I didn't care for either of those films.  Well at least relatively speaking in terms of stuff Marvel usually comes up with.  It seemed like the scenario was unlikely and the plot was contrived.  Instead of focusing on the action and entertainment, I found my thoughts wandering to the writers and wondering what they were thinking, and if they were satisfied with the outcome.  Or did they wish they would have come up with something else? 

I don't recall taking sides with one side of the issue or the other. I just remember seeing a bunch of superheroes that couldn't get their shit together.  It reminded me of a hypothetical government made up of Democrats and Republicans, with the inevitable outcome of chaos and confusion.

Captain America: Civil War was political foreshadowing.  They weren't bright enough to come up with Avengers: Covid.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

I've watched Labyrinth a few weeks ago. For the 20th time but the first time in more than 20 years. It's still very good. Aw.

Maybe I should watch Time Bandits. Or start a Terry Gilliam marathon.

No. Willow. :)
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 01, 2020, 08:50:05 AM
I've watched Labyrinth a few weeks ago. For the 20th time but the first time in more than 20 years. It's still very good. Aw.

Maybe I should watch Time Bandits. Or start a Terry Gilliam marathon.

No. Willow. :)

Both Time Bandits and Willow are very good.  Classics!  Labyrinth with David Bowie was good too.  Pan's Labyrinth was too dark for me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 01, 2020, 08:02:23 AMI don't know who thought of it first, but copying the other guy is not real creativity.
*literally everyone in the comics industry except Jack Kirby*

Hydra009

While I'm on the subject of originality.  When was the last time you saw a wholly original action movie?  Heist film?  Rom com?  Scifi film?  I could go on.

In fact, how many movies have you seen in the past 10 years that weren't sequels, prequels, reimaginings, or adaptations?  I'm not sure if I can even name one.

SGOS

I think I could name one, but I'd have to think about it. On the other hand, I heard one time from someone who sounded quite authoritative, that every plot ever written had already been done by Shakespeare.  But that sounds like a rather sweeping claim. I never bothered trying to disprove it, although I haven't read much of Shakespeare, so that would be futile.

Maybe what that guy meant was something like this:
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20180525-every-story-in-the-world-has-one-of-these-six-basic-plots
Which basically says there's more than just one good way to skin a cat.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 01, 2020, 04:45:29 PM
I think I could name one, but I'd have to think about it. On the other hand, I heard one time from someone who sounded quite authoritative, that every plot ever written had already been done by Shakespeare.  But that sounds like a rather sweeping claim. I never bothered trying to disprove it, although I haven't read much of Shakespeare, so that would be futile.

Maybe what that guy meant was something like this:
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20180525-every-story-in-the-world-has-one-of-these-six-basic-plots
Which basically says there's more than just one good way to skin a cat.
And every war is won, lost, or indecisive.  Doesn't mean there aren't plenty of differences.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 01, 2020, 09:13:48 PM
And every war is won, lost, or indecisive.  Doesn't mean there aren't plenty of differences.

American Revolution never ended (Confederates restarted it).  Civil War never ended.  WW I never ended.  WW II never ended.  Korean War never ended.  Cold War never ended.  Need I go on?  The idea of success and failure is bullshit.  So I guess the answer is always "indecisive".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on June 01, 2020, 09:21:05 AM
Pan's Labyrinth was too dark for me.

Too real? That's the only one reflecting reality bluntly on that list.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp