News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Bloodshot - 6/10

Lots of film clichés, but entertaining nonetheless.

Shiranu

The Avengers

Second time watching it, I had forgotten just how much I had forgotten about it... which is to say, nearly everything, particularly the New York fight scene, which is perhaps the most forgettable aspect of it to me.

Still a great movie, but honestly one of the weaker ones in my opinion. But it did what I needed to do and bring the crew together, and it has some really great moments in it as well. Some the foreshadowing of stuff that would happen years and years down the line is still amazing to see (as well as knowing what those foreshadows would entail adding so much more meaning behind it), particularly in a world that is not particularly concerned with longevity.

I'm no longer going to try to classify movies in a 1/10 scale, but I would certainly say it's worth a re-watch, though don't expect too much. It is still in the MCU's childish fun stage (which is not a negative) and lacks much of the depth we see near the end of the character arches, but it's legitimately fun to just watch something made in a simpler time with simpler sensibilities.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

You won't get a silk purse out of a comic book.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on May 14, 2020, 04:57:35 AM
The Avengers

Second time watching it, I had forgotten just how much I had forgotten about it... which is to say, nearly everything, particularly the New York fight scene, which is perhaps the most forgettable aspect of it to me.

Still a great movie, but honestly one of the weaker ones in my opinion. But it did what I needed to do and bring the crew together, and it has some really great moments in it as well. Some the foreshadowing of stuff that would happen years and years down the line is still amazing to see (as well as knowing what those foreshadows would entail adding so much more meaning behind it), particularly in a world that is not particularly concerned with longevity.

I'm no longer going to try to classify movies in a 1/10 scale, but I would certainly say it's worth a re-watch, though don't expect too much. It is still in the MCU's childish fun stage (which is not a negative) and lacks much of the depth we see near the end of the character arches, but it's legitimately fun to just watch something made in a simpler time with simpler sensibilities.

The negatives probably only seem like negatives because later MCU movies spoiled us. lol. I remember everyone being super excited about that first Avengers film. It was the first of its kind (that I'm aware of, at least). I remember when Age of Ultron came out, some people thought it felt a little samey, and worried that every Avengers movie would center around them fighting hoards of nameless enemies in New York. But nobody complained the first time they did that. They were just happy to see all these characters, who each (excluding Black Widow and Hawkeye) had stand alone movies fleshing out their characters, all coming together. Over the years, as the movies continued to find success, there was backlash from people getting tired of all the superhero movies in theaters, and so the writers for the MCU had to step up their game to keep people coming back. People will never know how good they had it until the MCU disappears (or new leadership runs it into the ground).
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 14, 2020, 05:54:54 AM

Best (2012) line of all time ... "Puny god"

I still like Green Lantern (2011).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 14, 2020, 05:54:54 AM

But you will get Vicuna wool, which is far better anyways.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on May 14, 2020, 04:57:35 AMThe Avengers

At the time, no one had really done a big crossover movie like this, weaving multiple films together (Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor, Captain America).  Now that that's a normal regular thing (Avengers 2, Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame) it seems less impressive now than it was at the time.

I remember watching it and being absolutely blown away by it - the authentic characters, the high-budget action scenes, the top-notch special effects, even Joss Whedon's jokes - it truly aimed high in terms of production in a way that comics movies rarely had before.  The most memorable parts by far were that sweeping group shot at the battle of New York and of course, the schwarma post-credits scene.

While I wasn't too impressed by the easily-dispatched hordes of mooks, I did like Loki a lot (even though the logic behind his attempted conquest was pretty sketchy) and overall I found it very enjoyable - a solid summer blockbuster - and at the end of the day, that's what it's all about, right?

This was the movie that ushered in the reign of the MCU and cemented a lot of the conventions of modern comic book movies (ensemble cast, high budget actors and special effects, high stakes, post-credits scenes).  It paved the way for a lot of other movies.

Hydra009

One thing I really like about the Marvel movies is that they give all the heroes something to do - even heroes with comparatively weak powersets (muggles like Black Widow and Hawkeye and Nick Fury) have their moments.

That's not an easy thing to do.  It'd be super easy to ignore them or write them out of the story entirely, yet the writers try really hard to keep them interesting and in the action instead of focusing entirely on the literal god right beside them.  Kudos.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 14, 2020, 01:50:12 PM
One thing I really like about the Marvel movies is that they give all the heroes something to do - even heroes with comparatively weak powersets (muggles like Black Widow and Hawkeye and Nick Fury) have their moments.

That's not an easy thing to do.  It'd be super easy to ignore them or write them out of the story entirely, yet the writers try really hard to keep them interesting and in the action instead of focusing entirely on the literal god right beside them.  Kudos.

Hide the Mary Sues.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Almost forgot, watched 1917 a few nights ago.

Was pretty drunk, which I felt actually added to the horror and mood of the movie. Really enjoyed it, I definitely understand the hype around it. Probably one of my favorite movies to come out in the last couple years.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 14, 2020, 06:55:45 PM
Almost forgot, watched 1917 a few nights ago.

Was pretty drunk, which I felt actually added to the horror and mood of the movie. Really enjoyed it, I definitely understand the hype around it. Probably one of my favorite movies to come out in the last couple years.

Yes, horror and moody are good descriptions.  Really felt sorry for the one protagonist who died early, after saving the life of his friend.  Of course like any storytelling, there are a lot of implausible setups.  I really didn't expect the German fighter pilot to be bad ass.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 14, 2020, 01:50:12 PM

its more believable (as believable as a comic book movie can be) seeing a heroes power set in a situation like avengers where the more human characters fight on a ground level against alien enforcers and the big hitters like hulk and thor tear though the bigger ones, then it is every time they have batman and the justice league where batman seems to be able to hit or take on foes at the same degree superman or wonder woman can.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on May 14, 2020, 07:01:12 PM
Yes, horror and moody are good descriptions.  Really felt sorry for the one protagonist who died early, after saving the life of his friend.  Of course like any storytelling, there are a lot of implausible setups.  I really didn't expect the German fighter pilot to be bad ass.
I thought he was afraid for his own life and tried to pre-empt an attack. Both sides could be rough with flyers. It was one more wild, desperate moment in the struggle to get to their objective. And the Albatross was cool.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 15, 2020, 06:06:56 AM
I thought he was afraid for his own life and tried to pre-empt an attack. Both sides could be rough with flyers. It was one more wild, desperate moment in the struggle to get to their objective. And the Albatross was cool.

The airplanes were cool.  But neither the Red Baron or Snoopy would do that ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I'm re-watching The Avengers just to refesh my memory, and there are a few really great things I noticed:

Show-don't-tell - the scene with Black Widow was genius because it quickly establishes her as a super spy and martial artist by having her pretend to be interrogated (in reality, it's the other way around) and be annoyed that she has to break cover and abandon the assignment.  She kicks the crap out of her captors like she could have done it at any time.  It's beautiful.

Exposition trickle, not exposition dump - they keep the details light, but scattered throughout.  Doesn't overwhelm or underwhelm.  One could theoretically not watch any of the previous films and mostly understand this one - it least enough to get the gist of it.  It's not an overly complicated plot anyway - MacGuffin, villain from 5th dimension tries to take over the world, etc.  Pretty standard plot.

Avengers assemble, but not all at once - let's face it, getting the gang together is the worst part of action/heist movies.  This movie very carefully and methodically introduces the main characters only a couple at a time, interspersed with action scenes.  First, it's Nick Fury and Hawkeye.  Then action with Loki.  Second, it's Black Widow.  Then action with her interrogators.  Third, it's Cap and the Hulk and Iron Man.  Then action with Loki.  Thor's introduction doubles as an action scene.  My point is that the audience stays entertained and engaged during these introductions.