News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2020, 02:28:06 PM
Not as cool - as Churchill would have claimed ;-)  Hollywood gangsters always used Thompsons.  The lawmen ambush on Bonnie and Clyde was close enough I bet (they have cover).
I had to break any number of FNGs from "spray and pray".

And the fact that that particular shoot-out happened at close range doesn't say anything about the relative ranges of the Thompson and BAR.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 07, 2020, 05:37:15 PM
I had to break any number of FNGs from "spray and pray".

And the fact that that particular shoot-out happened at close range doesn't say anything about the relative ranges of the Thompson and BAR.

So you recommend that ultra long range 50 cal single shot the military snipers user?  Why not just a missile?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Supposedly it had to do with the BARs larger caliber .30-06 cartridges being more effective at piercing the steel doors of cars back in the day than the Thompson's .45 ACP. I don't know how the penetration potential of the two compare when shot at an old-school steel door, but one is a proper rifle round vs a pistol-sized round so it's certainly possible the Thompson would have had a less consistent time making it through the exterior.

My guess is also... he had a BAR and he didn't have a Tommy, and the BAR was free so why switch?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2020, 05:51:32 PM
So you recommend that ultra long range 50 cal single shot the military snipers user?  Why not just a missile?
Missiles are used routinely, and they kill loads of people. One shot-one kill is cleaner. It also scares the shit out of people. The classic .50 round is supersonic.
Splat

Bang
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 07, 2020, 09:03:17 PM
Missiles are used routinely, and they kill loads of people. One shot-one kill is cleaner. It also scares the shit out of people. The classic .50 round is supersonic.
Splat

Bang

You just spend too much time down at the BAR ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2020, 11:57:10 PM
You just spend too much time down at the BAR ;-)
I was fourteen the first time I fired a .50 cal. on full auto. I had cleaned horse stalls all summer for the privilege.
PZ Myers

aitm

Just watched “the good the bad and the ugly, 50 odd years later from.the first time I saw it. God was that some awful movie.  LOL. Used to think it was great as a kid. Jesus, was that bad.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

I rewatched Resident Evil for fairly straightforward reasons.

It hasn't aged super well - the acting is kinda uneven and there are some bizarre pacing issues, but for the most part, it's fine.  It's kinda schlocky and over-the-top, but that's the point.  I still maintain that this series has an excellent aesthetic and I still love those CGI map sequences even now that I notice just how low-poly that sequence was.

That opening sequence of the poor office workers getting screwed over really hit me a lot harder than it used to because now that kinda thing is way more believable and I could see myself in that role a lot more easily.  I particularly felt bad for the resident codemaster cause holy moley, he must've had ptsd and survivor's guilt out the wazoo during that whole operation.

Milla Jovovich acted her ass off, and Michelle Rodriguez was pretty good, too.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on April 09, 2020, 10:34:36 PM
Just watched “the good the bad and the ugly, 50 odd years later from.the first time I saw it. God was that some awful movie.  LOL. Used to think it was great as a kid. Jesus, was that bad.

I am still a kid.  Saw it at a small theater in Kansas.  I still enjoy it.  Serve up as much spaghetti as you can dish out!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Milla Jovovich?  Like her as St Joan.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 09, 2020, 11:40:20 PM
I rewatched Resident Evil for fairly straightforward reasons.

It hasn't aged super well - the acting is kinda uneven and there are some bizarre pacing issues, but for the most part, it's fine.  It's kinda schlocky and over-the-top, but that's the point.  I still maintain that this series has an excellent aesthetic and I still love those CGI map sequences even now that I notice just how low-poly that sequence was.

That opening sequence of the poor office workers getting screwed over really hit me a lot harder than it used to because now that kinda thing is way more believable and I could see myself in that role a lot more easily.  I particularly felt bad for the resident codemaster cause holy moley, he must've had ptsd and survivor's guilt out the wazoo during that whole operation.

Milla Jovovich acted her ass off, and Michelle Rodriguez was pretty good, too.

Actually going back and rewatching that now as I play RE2.

Honestly, it seems to have aged in the same way the game has; poorly, but in a charming way.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

I don't see the charm in movies that are made of constant murder.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 10, 2020, 05:36:37 AM
I don't see the charm in movies that are made of constant murder.

They're zombies, it's different.

Edit: Well, actually the first... 500 some and 5 people are human... but otherwise they're zombies, it's different.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on April 10, 2020, 05:46:14 AM
They're zombies, it's different.

Edit: Well, actually the first... 500 some and 5 people are human... but otherwise they're zombies, it's different.
And the guy that dumped the virus murdered them. Then for the rest of the series of movies people are being murdered by people who have been murdered.
THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!!!
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 10, 2020, 06:52:21 AM
And the guy that dumped the virus murdered them. Then for the rest of the series of movies people are being murdered by people who have been murdered.
THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!!!

Exactly!