News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Sent you a reply x

Saw the trailer for candy man. I mean, the trailer looked okay, acting might be okay, Tony Tod makes an appearance in it. I dunno though, it really just highlights how nobody has any fresh ideas anymore, why make this even?

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

The money men don't want to risk their money. Unimaginative seems safer. The box office proves this.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Avengers: Infinity War

I kinda knew how it was going to end. Though I think I would have predicted it somewhat, with so many main-characters dying.
But good. Truly good. Definitely one of the top-tier marvel movies. Perhaps a bit rushed, but how could it not with like 80 main characters or something.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 07, 2020, 06:21:39 PM

I kinda knew how it was going to end. Though I think I would have predicted it somewhat, with so many main-characters dying.
But good. Truly good. Definitely one of the top-tier marvel movies. Perhaps a bit rushed, but how could it not with like 80 main characters or something.

This style is called "target rich environment" like when Asgard was flattened.  Very American ... just go bomb the shit out of things, worry about the death toll later.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Yeah.  One of my favorites.  I've heard a few criticisms of it, mostly related to tactics and the most completely unrealistic thing ever: a grieving character doing something unwise.  Never seen that in reality, ever.

Imho, Endgame was kind of a letdown for me (though still very good) because the frantic pacing of Infinity War clashed so much with Endgame.  The tone just seemed off to me.

Gawdzilla Sama

I got to sit down recently and watch both movies in one five hours run. Other than "Five Years Later" it was nicely contiguous.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Trailer for Black Widow which will be at theaters in May.  I don't like thinking that Marvel is nothing but action, and it's probably hard to show human insight, vulnerabilities, and humor in trailers.  I hope there will be more than just Scarlett Johansson kicking ass and taking names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybji16u608U&mi_u=ee2028267755008758eed018dfefcad0acdbfa70

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 07, 2020, 09:45:46 PM
Imho, Endgame was kind of a letdown for me (though still very good) because the frantic pacing of Infinity War clashed so much with Endgame.  The tone just seemed off to me.
I actually liked that about Endgame, because the big question in the previous cliff hanger was, as usual, "How the Hell are they going to get out of this?"  I spent an inordinate amount of energy and thought coming up with possible scenarios, so I enjoyed the slowed down way the solution thoughtfully evolved.  I thought it was appropriate because to me that was the main reason for Endgame, and the team struggling to find a solution almost had to be what the whole movie was about.  Antman coming up with the solution was a total surprise.  I never saw that coming.  I enjoyed the action at the end, the way Capt Marvel returned after her hiatus while taking care of business in other parts of the galaxy.  I'd almost forgotten she was a part of the movie, but it made her seem like the superhero of superheroes that saved the day.  I'll be waiting for the next movie.  Did I hear right that Brie Larson is going to be replaced with a different Capt Marvel actor?

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on February 28, 2020, 07:45:03 AM
The original True Grit. Meh, John Wayne was never that good of an actor.
I always thought that too.  He sure was popular.  Maybe it was that post WWII macho image he always carried around.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on March 09, 2020, 01:45:38 PM
Trailer for Black Widow which will be at theaters in May.  I don't like thinking that Marvel is nothing but action, and it's probably hard to show human insight, vulnerabilities, and humor in trailers.  I hope there will be more than just Scarlett Johansson kicking ass and taking names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybji16u608U&mi_u=ee2028267755008758eed018dfefcad0acdbfa70
Dull movies make money?
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 09, 2020, 02:08:29 PM
I always thought that too.  He sure was popular.  Maybe it was that post WWII macho image he always carried around.

Ever see him in Stagecoach (1939) ... he was hot.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on March 09, 2020, 01:45:38 PM

Marvel actually has a pretty good tract record of producing emotionally moving and well-written characters, so I'm not too worried about that. I think it's probably more that action sells a movie more than anything so that's what they are going to focus on on the trailers.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Been thinking strangely about the wizard of oz, and it got me thinking of all the adaptations of the stories.

The 1939 classic is just cinema gold, I've rewatched it so many times and owned it on vhs, dvd and blue ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njdreZRjvpc

Return to oz was also a classic for me, since it came out when I was still a child, and despite critic saying it was to dark for children, I really didn't feel that way about it then or now, I felt like it just added spookier elements you expect in a fantasy story. After all Grimms fairy tales wasn't exactly sunshine and rainbows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14EEGw_sdDQ

I've not seen wicked sadly, but would really like to one day soon, on at the west end in london.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR6sJO12FOQ

Oz the great and powerful, was.. something. I honestly only remember pieces of the movie. Most of it was pretty forgettable, and it sadly fell into that category of classic stories adapted into CGI blockbuster messes, like they did with Alice in wonderland (or what their doing with all disney remakes)   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhLaBpvS7os

Theres been a lot of other adaptations of the story, however for me one of my favorites as a child was surprising an anime adaptions they made into an ongoing series, made by company Panmedia, where they adapted many of the books. Looking back at it now, it surprised me how close to the original source material they made the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIXaNfk1N9A

most kids wanted to watch transformers and he-man and ninja turtles, which I did, but I was one of the only kids i know who wanted to watch an anime adaptation of the wizard of oz.

Dunno what made me think about all this, just something nice about thinking of all the ways the same classic story has been retold.

Baruch

1. Return to Oz I think is closest to the feel of the original stories.  A Persian girl played the lead part.

2. What?  No link to The Whiz? .... 1978, Michael Jackson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGtnHaEK66s
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on March 09, 2020, 10:04:58 PM
1. Return to Oz I think is closest to the feel of the original stories.  A Persian girl played the lead part.

2. What?  No link to The Whiz? .... 1978, Michael Jackson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGtnHaEK66s

Fairuza Balk? sure she was from California. Though yeah, people give it criticism but I think they purposely went for a darker tone because some of the oz books had that, and didn't want to skip on it.

And yeah, saw the wiz once, it was certainly an adaptation, in similar way the muppets wizard of oz was.