News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 18, 2020, 01:27:05 AMSo yeah, the story is mainly get emeralds, beat Eggman.
Once I find all of the Emeralds, then I'll find the truth.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on February 18, 2020, 10:25:54 PM
Movie covers too much action in first 6 months of America in the war.  But that is what happened.  Requires a mini-series.  Minor technical errors, but much less of a Hollywood movie, almost documentary.  The old version was a Hollywood movie.  Of course this is a "sea-air" level retelling.  The event doesn't make much sense, unless you take the all-seeing narrator POV ... because too many moving pieces on the board.  But then nobody at the time, and not for decades later, could piece that all together.  The Navy bureaucratically ultimately shafted Capt Rochefort, the key cryptanalyst.
I started studying WWII in 1965. I worked for the Naval History and Heritage Command for twenty years. So I'm curious what you think the Navy did to Rochefort?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 18, 2020, 10:34:44 PM
Once I find all of the Emeralds, then I'll find the truth.

Well actually it's more like your go super Saiyan
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 19, 2020, 05:23:24 AM
I started studying WWII in 1965. I worked for the Naval History and Heritage Command for twenty years. So I'm curious what you think the Navy did to Rochefort?

He deserved greater rewards ... but he didn't fit the DC model of the politically connected officer.  He got his greatest awards posthumously.  This has happened with many brave men and women, who have done outstanding service, because ... petty assholes in the upper echelons.  Some of those people were even guilty of wearing medals they never earned.  Of course, at the time, the insight regarding the Japanese plans wasn't clear ... but post facto, no excuse.

Unless of course, you think that only the top officer should be rewarded, that Nimitz and McArthur are the only heroes in the Pacific?  In my own case, contractors by law don't get any special notice (I got a commander's coin, illegally from the commander himself), and I was content that my GS boss got all public credit for our work.  I don't slum for honors, but polite to accept the commander's appreciation.  Captain Rochefort at the time, was not slumming for honors either, I can respect that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Fantasy Island gets 10% from RT critics.  I just had to mention this because I never understood that TV series. This is touted as horror, based on the old saw of "be careful what you wish for."  It's actually not a bad premise, even while it's a worn out cliche', but apparently the whole thing is flawed.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2020, 08:32:27 AM
He deserved greater rewards ... but he didn't fit the DC model of the politically connected officer.  He got his greatest awards posthumously.  This has happened with many brave men and women, who have done outstanding service, because ... petty assholes in the upper echelons.  Some of those people were even guilty of wearing medals they never earned.  Of course, at the time, the insight regarding the Japanese plans wasn't clear ... but post facto, no excuse.

Unless of course, you think that only the top officer should be rewarded, that Nimitz and McArthur are the only heroes in the Pacific?  In my own case, contractors by law don't get any special notice (I got a commander's coin, illegally from the commander himself), and I was content that my GS boss got all public credit for our work.  I don't slum for honors, but polite to accept the commander's appreciation.  Captain Rochefort at the time, was not slumming for honors either, I can respect that.
Didn't take you long to get the strawmen in nice neat ranks.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on February 19, 2020, 11:05:12 AM
Fantasy Island gets 10% from RT critics.  I just had to mention this because I never understood that TV series. This is touted as horror, based on the old saw of "be careful what you wish for."  It's actually not a bad premise, even while it's a worn out cliche', but apparently the whole thing is flawed.

I like the idea of a tropical paradise that is a honeytrap for people who become victims of their own desires or forced to confront the consequences of their bad behavior, however I prefer psychological intrigue to horror.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on February 19, 2020, 11:05:12 AM

I saw this review, and yeah... I'm baffled how this movie even got greenlit, considering their previous project. Great premise, terrible implementation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aOdkuP_A-c
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 19, 2020, 11:07:52 AM
Didn't take you long to get the strawmen in nice neat ranks.

Don't understand.  Are you saying the Pentagon's shit doesn't stink?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 19, 2020, 02:29:48 PM
Baruch is seldom worth the click.

Be careful old vet, shaving with that titanium katana ;-)  Don't be the apocryphal martial arts Marine who knocked himself out accidentally, saluting ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I couldn't be a Marine, I admitted to having bathed once.
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Godzilla (2014)

I don't know what I expected... But I kind of expected more.

The special effects were impressive, I guess. But ... I don't know. It didn't hook me.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 20, 2020, 06:54:14 AM
Godzilla (2014)

The special effects were impressive, I guess. But ... I don't know. It didn't hook me.
It's the restart of the Daikaiju universe. Kong: Skull Island sets up the spectrum of monsters.

[spoiler]Humans fighting the Mutos in "Godzilla" leads in to the human/kaiju alliance in "Godzilla: King of Monsters". [/spoiler]
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 20, 2020, 06:54:14 AM
Godzilla (2014)

I'm from a generation that cut it's teeth on the original stop motion Godzilla being attacked by model airplanes sliding down sometimes visible wires.  Just imagine 10 year old kids coming home from the Saturday Matinee laughing about how stupid that horror movie was.  I've never been able to take Godzilla or Godzilla wannabes seriously since.

But there is one 2017 movie, Colossal, that I really enjoyed involving a similar creature starring Anne Hathaway as a hopeless drunk.  Try to avoid reading about it beforehand, because it was fun watching the mystery unfold.  I don't know if it even made it to theaters, and it's possible I'm alone on this one, but I really enjoyed it, bought it, and watched it three times already.  I may pull it out again tonight now that I'm thinking about it.  It's a unique story, poignant, hopeful, funny, maybe a little creepy, but in a "WTF? kind of way" to be taken too seriously.  But it's got big monsters that smash buildings with people running in all directions. lol