News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I still have a hard time thinking of Jim Carrey as robotnik, but if he gives an entertaining performance then that's all that matters
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 17, 2020, 10:35:14 PM[spoiler]Am I the only one who is super curious about the origin and full extent of sonic's powers?  Because it seems to me like he was born that way, which makes me wonder about who exactly his parents were.  And given his time-stopping Quicksilver-esqe powers, he has a LOT more powers at his disposal than mere speed.

For starters, extremely rapid reaction-time (to navigate so quickly and dodge incoming attacks) and somewhat superhuman durability (to not injure himself rapid acceleration/deceleration and survive impacts at high speed).  And the time-stops appear to show an innate ability to manipulate the flow of time, which is basically an Infinity Stone-tier powerset.

And just how fast is Sonic?  We see him at the beginning of the movie clocking in at a mere 300mph (134m/s or a little more than 1/3 the speed of sound), but imo, that's his just his low-end cruising speed.  Later on, he moves so fast that he's practically invisible to casual onlookers.  And after that, he goes from Montana to the Pacific ocean in 10 seconds flat.  That's roughly 145,000 m/s (about half the speed of light).

Bottom line: He is a fast, fast guy.  So fast, that I'm pretty sure he could cause sonic booms at will, causing shock waves with the potential to damage anything nearby.  And those electrical discharges?  Amazing!  That sort of power...properly harnessed, would be a gamechanger for life on earth.

And that's to say nothing of the insane utility of these teleportation rings.  Those wouldn't just change life on Earth, those would fundamentally change mankind and its place in the cosmos.  We could transport goods and people instantly to anywhere on Earth and beyond.  We would make first contact (and second contact, and third contact...) in rapid succession.  We would have access to alien technology, lifeforms, and raw resources literally overnight.  The technological and social changes accompanying such a rapid discovery and exploration of new planets and peoples...it's mind-boggling.  For the first time ever, it'd be possible for a vast chunk of humanity to live amongst the stars.  It would make the Age of Discovery look like a infant walking from one corner of its room to the other.  It would make all other technological eras look like cavemen fumbling with wooden spears.  And that discovery is just chilling out in the attic reading Flash comics.  Such a waste![/spoiler]

I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'm not going to spoiler tag my response. Sonic's speed is very inconsistent in various media. It tends to be much more exaggerated outside of the video games than within them. I don't know if Chaos Emeralds are in the movie (would be a sin, if they're not), but he can use them to become Super Sonic. In that form, his speed increases even further. Additionally, Sonic later learned Chaos Control from copying Shadow, which uses a single Chaos Emerald to manipulate time and space (teleporting or stopping time completely).

The warp rings also come from the games, though this is the first time they've been used this way. In the games, jumping through a giant ring would teleport you somewhere else, usually to separate dimensions. They've never, to my knowledge, been carried around in a shrunken form. Additionally, they've previously disappeared after a single use.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on February 17, 2020, 10:41:19 PM
I still have a hard time thinking of Jim Carrey as robotnik, but if he gives an entertaining performance then that's all that matters
It somehow really works.  Jim Carrey as Dr Robotnik steals the show.  Granted, he's a little more maniacal and obsessive now.  The SatAM cartoon had him more like Dr Claw.  So don't expect Dr Claw.

He's very condescending and sociopathic.

Superficial charm?  Check.
Grandiose sense of self?  Big check.
Callousness/lack of empathy?  Check
Lack of remorse/shame/guilt?  Unapologetic check.
Need for stimulation?  Check.

And you also see in him a corrupted form of scientific curiosity.  He genuinely wants to understand the unknown, but he has zero qualms about the repercussions of any of it.  He might even be sadistic - though it's tough to tell if he's delighting in victory or in causing harm.  There doesn't appear to be much of a distinction to him.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 17, 2020, 10:56:41 PM
It somehow really works.  Jim Carrey as Dr Robotnik steals the show.  Granted, he's a little more maniacal and obsessive now.  The SatAM cartoon had him more like Dr Claw.  So don't expect Dr Claw.

He's very condescending and sociopathic.

Superficial charm?  Check.
Grandiose sense of self?  Big check.
Callousness/lack of empathy?  Check
Lack of remorse/shame/guilt?  Unapologetic check.
Need for stimulation?  Check.

And you also see in him a corrupted form of scientific curiosity.  He genuinely wants to understand the unknown, but he has zero qualms about the repercussions of any of it.  He might even be sadistic - though it's tough to tell if he's delighting in victory or in causing harm.  There doesn't appear to be much of a distinction to him.

Like Sonic's speed, Eggman's personality is very inconsistent. In the Adventure era, he was much more malicious than he is now. The Eggman of Sonic Adventure 2 held Amy at gun point. Later games treat him as more of a comedy relief character, which I fucking hate. Everyone, even his own henchmen, treat Eggman like a complete joke.

But about Jim Carrey. The character is called Eggman. Because he's shaped like an egg. Jim Carrey does not fit that description. I thought they'd try to make him look fat with special effects and makeup, or at even have him as a CGI character like Sonic. But they didn't even try.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 17, 2020, 11:27:21 PMBut about Jim Carrey. The character is called Eggman. Because he's shaped like an egg. Jim Carrey does not fit that description. I thought they'd try to make him look fat with special effects and makeup, or at even have him as a CGI character like Sonic. But they didn't even try.
Ehh...don't make me spoil stuff but let's just say you definitely might want to stick around during the credits.

In this movie, Eggman is very competent and actually gets very, very close to winning.  He's not a joke or a pushover.  He doesn't target innocent people, but if innocent people have to get hurt for him to win, he has absolutely not qualms about pulling the trigger.

Neutral evil, imo:

"The neutral evil is an unscrupulous, self-serving character who is only out for himself. Power, glory, wealth, position, and anything that will make his life more comfortable is his goal. It matters not who gets caught in the middle, as long as he comes out smelling like a rose. This person will lie, cheat, and kill anyone to attain his personal goals."

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 17, 2020, 11:36:18 PMEhh...don't make me spoil stuff but let's just say you definitely might want to stick around during the credits.

I know. The trailer gave it away. From what I've heard, it's exactly what it looked like in the trailer. A teaser. The giant mushrooms in the background were a dead giveaway. Although, if this is supposed to be the movie's version of Sonic 1, it's odd that they'd skip straight to Sonic 3. Can't really blame them, since Sonic 2's story was basically the same as Sonic 1's, except with Tails and Super Sonic involved.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

You know far more about this stuff than me, I just played the first game and watched the Saturday morning cartoon.  So I couldn't tell you what they adapted or didn't adapt.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 18, 2020, 12:33:20 AM
You know far more about this stuff than me, I just played the first game and watched the Saturday morning cartoon.  So I couldn't tell you what they adapted or didn't adapt.

The stories in the original games were pretty simple. Not much to adapt into a film. Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) has the most complicated story, and it's the only one showed in the game rather than just the instruction manual.

Sonic 1: Eggman captures Sonic's friends and uses them as a power source for his robots (called Badniks). He plans to use the Chaos Emeralds for evil...stuff.

Sonic 2: Tails meets Sonic and impresses him by spinning his helicopter butt to keep up with him. After collecting the Chaos Emeralds, they use Sonic's plane, the Tornado, to hitch a ride on Eggman's rocket, following him to the Death Egg (Eggman's Death Star). Sonic wins, the Death Star blows up, and Tails flies the Tornado to find Sonic re-enter the atmosphere as Super Sonic.

Sonic 3 (& Knuckles): The Death Egg apparently landed on Angel Island, a mysterious floating island in the sky. Eggman meets the island's only living resident, Knuckles the Echidna. He tells Knuckles that Sonic is the enemy. Knuckles, having never met either one before, is tricked, and he gets a sneak attack on Super Sonic, stealing his Chaos Emeralds. Sonic collects the emeralds again, and stops Eggman from launching the Death Egg back into space. Sonic then finds Knuckles' secret rings, which teleport to the Master Emerald altar. The Chaos Emeralds float away, becoming gigantic and taking their spots around the altar, transforming into the Super Emeralds. The Super Emeralds are gray and powerless at first, but Sonic reactivates each and unlocks Hyper Sonic, a form stronger than Super Sonic. Eggman steals the Master Emerald while Sonic and Knuckles fight, and Knuckles realizes he's been tricked. Without the power of the emerald, angel island falls into the ocean, but the Death Egg floats. Sonic defeats Eggman and returns the Master Emerald to Knuckles. Angel Island returns to the sky as Knuckles watches Sonic and Tails fly away on the Tornado. Knuckles also has his own story, taking place after, where a robotic Eggman, called an Eggrobo, basically repeats everything Eggman does in Sonic's story, but it ends with a different boss.

So yeah, the story is mainly get emeralds, beat Eggman.
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Either way sonic isn't exactly the easiest thing to pull off story wise, they've made some baaaad sonic games and some with plots all over the place. But it they just took the premise of sonic and made their own interpretation of it that still turns out okay then I have no complaints them changing things up just to appeal to a general audience.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on February 18, 2020, 05:45:11 AM
Either way sonic isn't exactly the easiest thing to pull off story wise, they've made some baaaad sonic games and some with plots all over the place. But it they just took the premise of sonic and made their own interpretation of it that still turns out okay then I have no complaints them changing things up just to appeal to a general audience.

Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 both have potential for a movie adaptation. The first expands on the history of Angel Island, Knuckles' ancestors, and the significance of the Master Emerald. In ancient times, Knuckles' ancestors raided the Chao for the power of the Chaos Emeralds, despite the pleas of the chief's daughter Tikal. Enraged by the violence, Chaos, the then guardian of the Master Emerald as well as the Chao, used the power of the emeralds to decimate the invading tribe. Tikal, uses the Master Emerald to seal herself and Chaos within the Master Emerald. For centuries, the echidna tribe guarded the Master Emerald, the land around it rising into the sky, to prevent Chaos from being unleashed on the world again. Years later, Knuckles continues to guard the Master Emerald as the only survivor, but he doesn't know why. The Master Emerald shatters, thanks to Eggman, and Chaos is released. Knuckles finds Chaos and the shattered emerald and becomes enraged, thinking the monster had destroyed the thing he swore his life to protect. Angel Island falls, merging with the land it originally came from. Eggman partners with Chaos, feeding him Chaos Emeralds, increasing his power. Eventually, however, Chaos goes rogue, turning on Eggman and taking the last emerald. He destroys an entire city, called Station Square, where Sonic comes to confront him. Tikal's spirit tells Sonic to seal Chaos within the repaired Master Emerald, but Sonic refuses, knowing that would only be a temporary solution. Sonic transforms into Super Sonic and fights Perfect Chaos, but just as Chaos seems defeated, he rises again. As an immortal being, he cannot be killed. However, with enough blows to the head, Chaos becomes pacified and returns to his normal form. Tikal appears in front of him, accompanied by the spirits of the Chao he used to protect. Tikal thanks Sonic, and she, the Chao, and Chaos float into the air, disappearing in a flash of light.

There's other stuff that happens too, but those are the main points. The Adventure games were a lot more plot heavy than most Sonic games, and they were actually competently written, unlike the stories to follow.
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

I admit, I like aspects of later sonic games and it's characters, sonic, tails and knuckles, and later characters like amy, rouge, silver, shadow, and further plots into robotniks past and family, it's always had potential to be a good story. Hey just seem to go between making something entertaining one minute, and flopping the next.

Anyway I'm glad the sonic movie is doing alright, and glad the film makers actually listened to criticism and made changes to improve on it.

LoriPinkAngel

Re-watching Silver Linings Playbook  8/10

SGOS

Midway was very good.  I missed it at the theater, and back then a lot of people dissed it because it was just a remake.  I saw the one before just a few years ago, but I thought this one was much better.  The photography was spectacular.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on February 18, 2020, 07:36:19 PM
Midway was very good.  I missed it at the theater, and back then a lot of people dissed it because it was just a remake.  I saw the one before just a few years ago, but I thought this one was much better.  The photography was spectacular.
Just got my copy from Amazon today. Fine tooth comb out.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 18, 2020, 08:34:26 PM
Just got my copy from Amazon today. Fine tooth comb out.

Movie covers too much action in first 6 months of America in the war.  But that is what happened.  Requires a mini-series.  Minor technical errors, but much less of a Hollywood movie, almost documentary.  The old version was a Hollywood movie.  Of course this is a "sea-air" level retelling.  The event doesn't make much sense, unless you take the all-seeing narrator POV ... because too many moving pieces on the board.  But then nobody at the time, and not for decades later, could piece that all together.  The Navy bureaucratically ultimately shafted Capt Rochefort, the key cryptanalyst.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.