News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

The shape of water.

Good flick. Charming. Great movie to watch with your gf, earn you some bonus points without having to sit through a mindnumbing romcom or musical. Instead you get a worthwhile ride, with good acting, consistent atmosphere and a universally understandeable and relateable story.

I give it 8 fishsticks out of 10.

Edit: You know what? Fuck it, 9 fishsticks.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 16, 2020, 05:26:33 AM
The shape of water.

Good flick. Charming. Great movie to watch with your gf, earn you some bonus points without having to sit through a mindnumbing romcom or musical. Instead you get a worthwhile ride, with good acting, consistent atmosphere and a universally understandeable and relateable story.

I give it 8 fishsticks out of 10.

Edit: You know what? Fuck it, 9 fishsticks.
I like that.  Give me a bottle of catsup and I'm good to go!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on February 15, 2020, 02:06:46 PM
Are you vegetarian?  Nothing wrong if you are.

I used to be a pescatarian, but not any more. I don't want to give up meat. I want meat that comes from animals that are raised humanely, and not treated like objects. I do buy organic, pasture raised eggs, but I don't know how much more I can do. I don't think this is something that can be fixed by the every day person. There has to be enough pressure put on the government to do something about it, and I don't think most people care enough to make anything happen.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Watched All the President's Men, the first half of The Elegant Universe, and then the Rifftrax version of Manos: Hands of Fate.  My DVD rack is a strange place.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 16, 2020, 10:22:57 AM
I used to be a pescatarian, but not any more. I don't want to give up meat. I want meat that comes from animals that are raised humanely, and not treated like objects. I do buy organic, pasture raised eggs, but I don't know how much more I can do. I don't think this is something that can be fixed by the every day person. There has to be enough pressure put on the government to do something about it, and I don't think most people care enough to make anything happen.

Only other method is having your own chickens. Your taste the difference when it's your own chickens laying them
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on February 16, 2020, 03:32:28 PM
Only other method is having your own chickens. Your taste the difference when it's your own chickens laying them
Try feeding your chickens M&Ms sometime.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 16, 2020, 03:58:48 PM
Try feeding your chickens M&Ms sometime.

Shouldn't give chickens chocolate, Same as dogs

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 16, 2020, 10:22:57 AM

I accept self-chosen individual action, in whatever circumstances one is, in regard to your own diet.  Freedom and intelligent dietetics.  It is when we want authoritarian conformism that I get political hives.  But then I don't believe in the efficacy of political action anymore.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on February 16, 2020, 04:09:16 PM
Shouldn't give chickens chocolate, Same as dogs
You are going to kill them eventually.

The chickens too.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 17, 2020, 05:28:41 AM
You are going to kill them eventually.

The chickens too.

If your only keeping them as pets and for eggs, then no, your want your chickens healthy. Even if you would view them as livestock, you'd still want them healthy

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on February 17, 2020, 05:32:36 AM
If your only keeping them as pets and for eggs, then no, your want your chickens healthy. Even if you would view them as livestock, you'd still want them healthy
I've had dogs who loved chocolate. The chickens who don't do well with chocolate are still useful, if you add dumplings.
PZ Myers

Munch

Chocolate, unless specially designed for them, is toxic to dogs.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on February 16, 2020, 03:32:28 PM
Oh holy Bob, this is true.  I have friends in rural Ohio who get eggs from a neighbor who raises chickens and there's just no comparison between farm fresh and grocery eggs.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

Quote from: trdsf on February 17, 2020, 08:39:54 PM
Oh holy Bob, this is true.  I have friends in rural Ohio who get eggs from a neighbor who raises chickens and there's just no comparison between farm fresh and grocery eggs.

same with honey. all the cornsyrup supermarkers dump into honey your never get a true taste of it unless you get it from a farmers market. My aunt in london kept bees, and was the best honey I ever tasted, also really good for allergies.

Hydra009

Sonic the Hedgehog.  Solid 8/10.  Never thought I'd see the day.

The reworked VFX are a huge improvement, a lot of the jokes landed, the acting is decent to scenery-chewing (hilarious!), and the movie overall felt fun.

Seriously, Jim Carrey is at peak performance here - comparable to how he was during The Mask or as the Joker in Batman Forever.  Extremely goofy and over-the-top, but it somehow really works in this movie.  (This movie is going to get memed to death, mark my words)

Structurally, this movie is VERY similar to Detective Pikachu.  Let me know if you've seen this before:  talking animal hero teams up with human sidekick, wacky high-jinks ensue, they defeat an evil mastermind while becoming good friends.  Very predictable, but it's such an entertaining predictable that it's actually not a bad way to go.

Oh, and stick around for the mid-credits scene.  It's a doozy.

[spoiler]Am I the only one who is super curious about the origin and full extent of sonic's powers?  Because it seems to me like he was born that way, which makes me wonder about who exactly his parents were.  And given his time-stopping Quicksilver-esqe powers, he has a LOT more powers at his disposal than mere speed.

For starters, extremely rapid reaction-time (to navigate so quickly and dodge incoming attacks) and somewhat superhuman durability (to not injure himself rapid acceleration/deceleration and survive impacts at high speed).  And the time-stops appear to show an innate ability to manipulate the flow of time, which is basically an Infinity Stone-tier powerset.

And just how fast is Sonic?  We see him at the beginning of the movie clocking in at a mere 300mph (134m/s or a little more than 1/3 the speed of sound), but imo, that's his just his low-end cruising speed.  Later on, he moves so fast that he's practically invisible to casual onlookers.  And after that, he goes from Montana to the Pacific ocean in 10 seconds flat.  That's roughly 145,000 m/s (about half the speed of light).

Bottom line: He is a VERY fast guy.  So fast, that I'm pretty sure he could cause sonic booms at will, causing shock waves with the potential to damage anything nearby.  And those electrical discharges?  Amazing!  That sort of power - properly harnessed - would be a gamechanger for life on earth.

And let's talk about the insane utility of these teleportation rings.  Those wouldn't just change life on Earth, those would fundamentally change mankind and its place in the cosmos!  We could transport goods and people instantly to anywhere on Earth and beyond.  We would make first contact (and second contact, and third contact...) in rapid succession.  We would have access to alien technology, lifeforms, and raw resources literally overnight.  The technological and social changes accompanying such a rapid discovery and exploration of new planets and peoples...it's mind-boggling.  For the first time ever, it'd be possible for a vast chunk of humanity to live amongst the stars.  It would make the Age of Discovery look like a infant walking from one corner of its room to the other.  It would make all other technological eras look like cavemen fumbling with wooden spears.  And that discovery is left completely untapped - just chilling out in the attic reading Flash comics.  Such a waste![/spoiler]