News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 02, 2020, 07:54:49 AM
I agree. Bad CGI is as bad as poor modeling.

That's what I've been saying, we can't just dismiss older methods of filmmaking if it's done well, and same time believe all modern versions of filmmaking is better by default. It's like the difference between traditional animation and modern day cgi animations, cgi can produce some quality work, but something is lost when it's just always cgi animation all the time now, something the director is the movie Klaus seemed to understand when he combined both methods to make a visually pleasing film
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

No, I don't even remember the name.  If it came out after Cowboys and Aliens, I probably avoided it.  Was it done with tongue in cheek, or were they trying to be serious?  Well, I suppose all zombie movies have to be tongue in cheek, so I probably have to see it.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 02, 2020, 07:10:04 AM
If the Red Sea could actually part, Hollywood could make it happen.  It's just cheaper to use CGI.  I think the Red Sea did actually part once around 5,400 years ago.  Who would lie about such a thing?

Initial effect of a tsunami, at a shoreline.  The water recedes and people get curious.  Then the water returns in a big way.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 01, 2020, 06:04:43 PM
What would movies look like without CGI these days? "Ten Commandments"? That Red Sea parting was soooo realistic.

You could do better in 1956, I know you could.  Like a music critic who can't plan an instrument?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 02, 2020, 08:28:26 AM
No, I don't even remember the name.  If it came out after Cowboys and Aliens, I probably avoided it.  Was it done with tongue in cheek, or were they trying to be serious?  Well, I suppose all zombie movies have to be tongue in cheek, so I probably have to see it.

I liked Cowboys and Aliens ... and the similar reboot of Howard Carter of Mars.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on January 02, 2020, 08:16:37 AM
That's what I've been saying, we can't just dismiss older methods of filmmaking if it's done well, and same time believe all modern versions of filmmaking is better by default. It's like the difference between traditional animation and modern day cgi animations, cgi can produce some quality work, but something is lost when it's just always cgi animation all the time now, something the director is the movie Klaus seemed to understand when he combined both methods to make a visually pleasing film
Please filter that bath water, there's an infant in there somewhere.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on January 02, 2020, 08:28:26 AM
It came out slightly before C&A, and was simply hilarious. Not sure of that's what they were going for, however.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

The empire strikes back.

GF had to double check: "What, really?" When the big revelation came out.
Though she didn't respond as much I had expected.

Great film, still. It's odd though. I always found it to be the best star wars film out there. And I still do.
But really, a new hope is much closer to this than I had previously thought. It is the ultimate sequel and set up to the end of the OT.
But a new hope somehow feels bigger than this. Even though this has much better pacing. Which puts it slightly on top.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 02, 2020, 03:57:44 PM
The empire strikes back.

GF had to double check: "What, really?" When the big revelation came out.
Was this recently?  If so, that's a deliciously rare treat.

Sal1981

Frozen 2 - 9/10

I don't get the hate this movie gets. It has a classical Disney movie feel to it of an unraveling story and it doesn't play for woke points or anything. Or at least not any I could notice.

Munch

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 02, 2020, 07:54:52 PM
Frozen 2 - 9/10

I don't get the hate this movie gets. It has a classical Disney movie feel to it of an unraveling story and it doesn't play for woke points or anything. Or at least not any I could notice.

Maybe that's why it received hate.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 02, 2020, 03:57:44 PMGreat film, still. It's odd though. I always found it to be the best star wars film out there. And I still do.
But really, a new hope is much closer to this than I had previously thought. It is the ultimate sequel and set up to the end of the OT.
But a new hope somehow feels bigger than this. Even though this has much better pacing. Which puts it slightly on top.
Empire Strikes Back or A New Hope as the best Star Wars movie?  I admit, that's a tough one for me.  A New Hope had the classic hero's journey with a complete character arc, an amazing supporting cast, and an iconic climax.  The beginning might be a little "boring" but imo it's necessary to set up the juxtaposition of Luke's simple rustic life with his life in the Rebellion.

Meanwhile, Empire Strikes Back was a hell of a gutpunch and introduced a lot of the darker themes of Star Wars, as well as the iconic Hoth battle and the fan-favorite bounty hunter Boba Fett.  Overall, I think Empire has a narrow lead.

Now that all 9 (plus two prequels) movies are complete, I've seen a lot of people post rankings.  Here is my ranking.

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope
3) Return of the Jedi
4) Rogue One
5) Rise of Skywalker
6) Force Awakens
7) Revenge of the Sith
8) Attack of the Clones
9) The Last Jedi
10) Phantom Menace

(Solo excluded because unseen)

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 02, 2020, 07:35:57 PM
Was this recently?  If so, that's a deliciously rare treat.

Yes, just last night. I knew it was coming too.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 02, 2020, 08:33:29 PM
Empire Strikes Back or A New Hope as the best Star Wars movie?  I admit, that's a tough one for me.  A New Hope had the classic hero's journey with a complete character arc, an amazing supporting cast, and an iconic climax.  The beginning might be a little "boring" but imo it's necessary to set up the juxtaposition of Luke's simple rustic life with his life in the Rebellion.

Meanwhile, Empire Strikes Back was a hell of a gutpunch and introduced a lot of the darker themes of Star Wars, as well as the iconic Hoth battle and the fan-favorite bounty hunter Boba Fett.  Overall, I think Empire has a narrow lead.

Now that all 9 (plus two prequels) movies are complete, I've seen a lot of people post rankings.  Here is my ranking.

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope
3) Return of the Jedi
4) Rogue One
5) Rise of Skywalker
6) Force Awakens
7) Revenge of the Sith
8) Attack of the Clones
9) The Last Jedi
10) Phantom Menace

(Solo excluded because unseen)
Solo would be about 15th on that list.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Freaks 9/10

Feels like a horror flick with he traditional creepy old house, an ice cream truck that lures children to their doom (or is it something else), and demon like supernatural powers that possesses humans and murders them, but described as science fiction in at least one review.  As the movie ended I found myself puzzling over what genre it was.  It differed from most horror films in that it has an intensely interesting and creative plot, but its creep factor was beyond most science fiction.  Whatever classification it falls under, it had my attention.  I'm getting this one for my private collection.  I'm looking forward to watching it again.  It may be of interest to some movie fans here.