Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on December 20, 2019, 08:54:03 PM
This movie broke reviewers..
It bombed with critics at Rotten Tomatoes too.  But audiences seem to think it was OK.  Not great, but OK.  I won't bother with it at the theaters, but I'll probably rent the DVD.  I may or may not watch the whole thing.

Gawdzilla Sama

Cats got a 65% audience rating. I suspect the other 35% didn't know what they were going to see. I watched the 1998 with a couple of dance majors, their running commentary helped me enjoy it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 21, 2019, 12:34:10 PM
Cats got a 65% audience rating. I suspect the other 35% didn't know what they were going to see. I watched the 1998 with a couple of dance majors, their running commentary helped me enjoy it.
My ex saw the original stage production.  I'd never seen her that moved by such an event.  I may like the movie... or not.  The trailer as clever as the human to cats makeovers was interesting, but nothing else grabbed my attention.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on December 21, 2019, 04:24:40 PM
My ex saw the original stage production.  I'd never seen her that moved by such an event.  I may like the movie... or not.  The trailer as clever as the human to cats makeovers was interesting, but nothing else grabbed my attention.
I'm sneaking out to see it Monday morning. If it does the stage production justice I'll be happy.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on December 20, 2019, 08:54:03 PMThis movie broke reviewers..
The trailer broke me.  I thought it was an elaborate joke at first.

Munch

Shrek 2.
I've not watched this movie in a decade, but remembered it fondly. I'm surprised really at just how well it holds up today as much as it did then. The animation quality might no be on par with the quality of something like toy story 4 today, but the humor, fast pace slapstick and action is still really fun, and the actors performances in it is still a lot of fun, especially jennifer saunders as the fairy godmother.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on December 30, 2019, 01:47:28 PM
Shrek 2.
I've not watched this movie in a decade, but remembered it fondly. I'm surprised really at just how well it holds up today as much as it did then. The animation quality might no be on par with the quality of something like toy story 4 today, but the humor, fast pace slapstick and action is still really fun, and the actors performances in it is still a lot of fun, especially jennifer saunders as the fairy godmother.

Just don't be a gay villain like Prince Charming ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Rise of Skywalker.  8/10.  That's how much of the plot made sense.

And it's probably the best of the Sequel trilogy loosely-connected movies, too.

Mr.Obvious

A new hope, taking the gf through the star wars franchise one installment at a time, for her first time.

Movie aged well, even despite the added cgi that looks off.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Uncut Gems 
92% at Rotten Tomatoes
54% audience reaction

I wouldn't rate it because I can't explain why I liked it so much.  I understand the audience reaction.  It's one weird flick.  As a comedian, I never thought highly of Adam Sandler.  He reminds me of me trying to be funny when I was in 4th grade.  As a comedian he's weird, although playing a straight role he was praised highly for Punch Drunk Love, a movie I didn't care for at all.  He's deadly serious throughout Uncut Gems, but he is still weird in an extremely annoying way.  Basically, he acts like a total fuckup, but you're never sure if he actually is.  I got annoyed so much that I times I wanted to leave, even if he was getting beaten up.  But I couldn't leave.  When the movie was over, I finally understood the movie.  I think it was well written without any highly observable plot holes, and far enough away from Hollywood's most common formulas to be worthy of praise for creativity.

Munch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 01, 2020, 12:32:43 PM
A new hope, taking the gf through the star wars franchise one installment at a time, for her first time.

Movie aged well, even despite the added cgi that looks off.

I'm waiting for the point when they re-release Goonies in cinemas with cgi added, like one eyed willy being a cgi character and a high definition version of the truffle shuffle
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

What would movies look like without CGI these days? "Ten Commandments"? That Red Sea parting was soooo realistic.
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil - 7/10

It was entertaining.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 01, 2020, 06:19:37 PM
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil - 7/10

It was entertaining.
Same look and feel?
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 01, 2020, 06:33:09 PM
Same look and feel?
It's a different story than the first, but it has the same vibe.