News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on December 08, 2019, 08:03:48 AM
You’re taking points from Baruch....I have no idea what you mean.
I was mocking the howdareyouists, people who act like anyone who has expressed a favorable opinion of Epis 1-3 is a child murderer or worse.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK8FHdFluOQ

The trailer doesn't look bad. But ugh... Another Disney remake. And where is Mushu? Is he cut out of the movie?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 12, 2019, 01:17:05 AM

The trailer doesn't look bad. But ugh... Another Disney remake. And where is Mushu? Is he cut out of the movie?

A silly cartoon dragon in a urban serious remake of a Disney classic? Pff, who needs silly cartoon characters when Disney's trying to do it's take on Dancing Tiger Hidden Dragon.
Disney doing funny cartoon characters, what a novel idea XD
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Game of Thrones executive producers to make a Lovecraft movie

I can't be certain, since there are a LOT of comics under Lovecraft's name, but I think I've read the comic they're looking to adapt.  It's great, though I'm sure Lovecraft himself would spin in his grave about it.

The comic paints HP Lovecraft as a young child discovering the Necronomicon, and thereafter the line between this world and some nightmarish otherworld is blurred.  He'll talk to someone and he'll see their nightmarish doppleganger for a few seconds, but no one else will.  Or he'll visit a mental hospital in Providence and he's in Arkham Asylum.  Basically, he sees really traumatic stuff that messes with his ability to distinguish reality from "fiction" (it's not really fiction).  As you might guess, this has taken quite a toll on his personal and professional life.  But he writes a flurry of stories before his untimely death, works which reveal the existence of this nightmarish realm to the world, but mask it as fiction.  And his last trick was inserting magic phrases in the stories, seemingly mad cultist chants, which in actually, help ward our world against the invaders.  And the more people who recite it the more powerful the effect - so the popularity of his work ensures the protection of our world!

Lovecraft would probably hate this take on his life because it undermines his talent as a writer (crafting fiction is hard work, yo), paints him as a lunatic (he wasn't), and a practitioner of magic (also negatory)

In the words of Anthony Hopkins: "Everything in this world is magic, except to the magician."

Lovecraft's stories seem real to the audience, but they aren't, least of all to the guy who wrote and rewrote and rewrote them!

Anyway, Lovecraft would spin in his grave doubly quickly with D&D on the case.  A perfectionist and own worst critic meets the guy who writes his essay on the bus and hands it in with a shit-eating grin on his face, now there's a horror story!  A real Odyssey on Red River situation.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on December 12, 2019, 04:58:49 AM
A silly cartoon dragon in a urban serious remake of a Disney classic? Pff, who needs silly cartoon characters when Disney's trying to do it's take on Dancing Tiger Hidden Dragon.
Disney doing funny cartoon characters, what a novel idea XD

Didn't stop them from doing Iago in the Aladdin remake. A common trend in these movies are a copy/paste of the plot, with random weird changes here and there, a sprinkle of unnecessary new stuff that adds nothing to the overall plot, and a lack of colors. Iago was still in Aladdin's remake because he was in the original, but they sucked out his personality and color and made him bland. That's what I was expecting for Mushu.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 12, 2019, 11:14:21 PM
Didn't stop them from doing Iago in the Aladdin remake. A common trend in these movies are a copy/paste of the plot, with random weird changes here and there, a sprinkle of unnecessary new stuff that adds nothing to the overall plot, and a lack of colors. Iago was still in Aladdin's remake because he was in the original, but they sucked out his personality and color and made him bland. That's what I was expecting for Mushu.

That sums up all these remakes in a nutshell.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 12, 2019, 01:17:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK8FHdFluOQ

Forget Mushu, I want to know why the fuck they're using katanas. Don't get me wrong, some Chinese swords somewhat resembled katanas, but the sword Mulan's dad briefly uses in the trailer is clearly a katana. China. Did. Not. Use. Katanas. (╯°□°)╯︵ â"»â"â"»
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

Richard Jewell  8/10

Has not been a big hit at the box office, although here it missed the weekend opening for some reason.  It was unusually well attended when I saw it.  I've never been a fan of Clint Eastwood films.  Play Misty for Me was about his only film I enjoyed.  As a director, Eastwood is about as subtle as a sledge hammer, and nuance is not one of his strengths.  He overcame some of that weakness in this film, but only slightly.  Professional critics claimed he didn't get deep enough into the character.  I disagree, but maybe there was more than what I remembered.  This actual event took place so long ago that I didn't remember much about it.  I remember an onslaught of media attention (which is all the media cares about), but I could not recollect the outcome of the event.  How could I not remember the outcome of such a colossal event?  Poor memory?  Or did the media just not bother to spend as much time on the less than  spectacular conclusion because it did not bolster enough ad sales?  About all I remembered was the original hype and "Richard Jewell = Paul Blart; Mall Cop Loser."

[Spoiler function does not work]
I had no recollection of the FBI actually apprehending the real criminal involved in the bombing.  Turns out the guy actually had a name, but I had to find that out from Wikipedia.
[End Spoiler]

Gawdzilla Sama

Hijiri, I have a Luger (WWI vintage) and a panzerschreck (with a training load). I doubt the Chinese would throw away a good sword simply because it was made in the land of the rising sun.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 18, 2019, 06:27:59 AM
Hijiri, I have a Luger (WWI vintage) and a panzerschreck (with a training load). I doubt the Chinese would throw away a good sword simply because it was made in the land of the rising sun.

The movie should have used titanium katanas ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 18, 2019, 06:27:59 AM
Actually they might. Japan never submitted to China as a tributary, and because of that they weren't allowed to have formal trade relations. If you got caught with something that had clearly been made in Japan, it could land you in some trouble. Not to mention katanas at the time were made with inferior metal compared to Chinese swords, so there's simply no reason a Chinese soldier would want to use it over something made locally.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on December 18, 2019, 12:08:05 PM
Actually they might. Japan never submitted to China as a tributary, and because of that they weren't allowed to have formal trade relations. If you got caught with something that had clearly been made in Japan, it could land you in some trouble. Not to mention katanas at the time were made with inferior metal compared to Chinese swords, so there's simply no reason a Chinese soldier would want to use it over something made locally.
You find a washed up junk, beached after a taifun. Everybody's dead. But there's all this really cool stuff on board. Stuff that now belongs to the Emperor. If you toss it in the ocean the officials will have your balls. The cargo winds up in the Forbidden City. It might get gifted out from there.
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 18, 2019, 06:27:52 PM

I saw reviews of it, from people like Jeremy Jahns and others.

[spoiler]lets just say they all thought it was a mess, the pacing is terrible, they try to cram 4 hours of movie into a 2 hour run time. They fucked up so much with characters in the last movies they had to substitute for new ones in this one, and the writing is just awful with constant expositions to rush the story along and the characters are just negative to one another all the time for no reason. Ray is also now a massively overpowered mary sue who can't be beaten, so it removes any tension that could be in the film, something that wasn't a problem in something like return of the jedi[/spoiler]

At this stage, I've already stopped caring. I saw the first one in 2015 force awakens, thought it was alright but used to much of the original movies as copy paste plot points. Didn't see last jedi thought the plot summery and what went on with the production was shit, so i'm not wasting my time with this one either.

Munch