News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 11, 2019, 07:12:46 PM
The crazy thing about this is that I absolutely love this movie (I've seen it three times!) - I love the camera work, I love the acting, I love the drab setwork,  I love the music, I love the dark and disturbing tone, I love the surface-level plot, I love the hidden plot, I love the social/political message, I love the unreliable narration, etc.  I love all of that stuff and I am absolutely amazed this ever saw the light of day, let alone became the #1 R-rated movie this year.

But both the people I've seen it with (I went alone one time) did not like it much at all.  One only understood the surface-level plot and apparently wanted it to be more upbeat (dafuq?!) and the other wanted more of a traditional superhero movie where the Joker is fighting Bats.  Both of them showed up for the Joker and didn't seem to care much Arthur.  Apparently, a poor, downtrodden sod isn't much of a crowdpleaser.  I'm sorely tempted to inform them that that's the point.  A major theme is man's poor treatment of man and Arthur Fleck is a sort of everyman, albeit mentally deranged.

I was having a talk with a friend of mine who also saw the movie and loved it, about the theme of it and what it represented. I then brought up how back in the 90s, for me anyway, one of the best animated cartoons I'd ever seen and to this day is still one of the best, was batman the animated series from that time.
What made the show work wasn't big grand battles against villains like doomsday or darkseid or overarching plots that went on episode to episode, infact most of the batman animated series was episodic, so everything was self contained. What made the series so good, was how deep and developed it made its characters with clever writing.

The series did a lot not just for how it developed batman, but how it developed his villains. These weren't the goofy adam west era batman villains who were just one note bad guys committing crimes. In this series it showed the development of many of its villains, how they became what they were, how their beliefs and motivations drove them and what mattered to them.
The best story was that of mr freeze, who in the comics started as a goofy cartoon villain with ice based powers committing crimes. In this series, they made him into a broken man who despite his attempts to save his wife, had that taken away from him and changed into something inhuman, with only a vendetta left to motivate him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V956de8QyM

This is what i loved about this series, and I think why many others thought the same, because it didn't just make foes for batman to face, but made them into fleshed out people with depth and meaning.

This is what made the Joker movie so strong, because much like how in batman the animated series it gave his villains a deeper look into how they became what they did, this movie did the same for the joker, and you end up understanding his motivation and reasoning why he went down the path he did.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on November 11, 2019, 09:23:08 PM
You saw it three times?  I saw it twice.  The only movie I saw three times at the theater was Dr. Strange.
You know how Black Panther was a big hit and people went wild with it, overjoyed at finally getting on-screen representation?  I get that now.

Wanna hear a knock-knock joke?

Gawdzilla Sama

So Suri gets to make racist comments. I thought that was funny.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 11, 2019, 09:23:08 PM
You saw it three times?  I saw it twice.  The only movie I saw three times at the theater was Dr. Strange.

Only ever saw a in-theater movie 3 times ... first Star Wars movie.  Dating myself, yet you are older than me.

Yeah, I like to see fictional heroes, not fictional psychopaths.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

The young turks review of Joker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Qm4XyDjAk

These social justice idiots (and if you have ever had any doubts about someone else being called a social justice warrior, let this video be an example of what one is like), who are incapable of seeing the nuance, the characterization, the relatability of someone being driven insane by what society has made him into, because all these fuckwits on TYT can see if the colour of the guys skin. Because a white man couldn't possibly ever go though what the main character in the movie went though.

This is sick.

Blackleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-8k-o_ofDw

"From the makers of Inside Out, Up, and--"

Oh, boy. It's one of those crying movies.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Gugu Mbatha-Raw
Yes, she's attractive, but I never paid much attention to her until I accidentally stumbled on her name this morning.  Now I can't get her name out of my head even though I can't pronounce it.  I don't even know how many syllables are in "Mbatha."

Gawdzilla Sama

They probably dropped the apostrophe. Joy M'Batha is a Swedish rapper.

Swedish rapper.

:sigh:
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on November 15, 2019, 08:43:10 AM

Gugu Mbatha-Raw
Yes, she's attractive, but I never paid much attention to her until I accidentally stumbled on her name this morning.  Now I can't get her name out of my head even though I can't pronounce it.  I don't even know how many syllables are in "Mbatha."

Easy way to remember.

Gugu - sounds like Googoo, the stereotypical sound a baby makes

Mbatha - mmm, bath water

Raw - someone forgot the lube

Baruch

Pretty girl.  In Bantu languages, Mb and Nd are common starting consonants.  No apostrophe.  You use an apostrophe, when you colloquially remove a vowel that is normally there.  Like ... don't.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I found a pronunciation audio that makes Mbatha into maybe two syllables, or maybe two and a half.  OK I know that's impossible but you may see what I mean:

https://www.howtopronounce.com/gugu-mbatha-raw/

two or 2 1/2:    Emmbath a'
Probably three:  Emmb' ath a'

Without my hearing aids it sounds like two.  With them it's three.

Gawdzilla Sama

The apostrophe is a "glottal stop" IIRC. So you nailed it with 2.5.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Swahili for example was originally written in Arabic letters.  Here is the variant Romanization of the resulting sound ....

ـب‎  ـبـ‎  بـ‎  ب‎  b p mb mp bw pw mbw mpw 

Typical of non-European languages, the Romanization can vary by author.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood  10/10

This blew me away, partly because it's just a good movie, and partly because it was not what I was expecting at all.  I saw it cold, reading nothing other than it's overall critical review scores.  I'd leave Mr. Rogers' biggest fans at home.  The movie is not directed at preschoolers at all.  It was also creatively executed, unusually so.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on November 22, 2019, 03:17:19 PM
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood  10/10

This blew me away, partly because it's just a good movie, and partly because it was not what I was expecting at all.  I saw it cold, reading nothing other than it's overall critical review scores.  I'd leave Mr. Rogers' biggest fans at home.  The movie is not directed at preschoolers at all.  It was also creatively executed, unusually so.
I've been wanting to see that.  Fred Rogers was a rare example of a just plain decent man.  And, along with Charles Schulz, responsible for making me a bit of a jazz fan -- the music on his show was performed live on the set.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan