Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimalist

Knowing.

Interesting idea.  Shitty execution.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Hydra009

Underworld. 6.5/10

Solid idea, meh execution.  It's the poster child of style over substance, which is a shame because it seemed to have some real talent going for it. 

I don't hate it, it's just kinda disappointing.

A vampire VS werewolf war should be riveting, instead it's kinda average.  Serious pacing issues for sure.  There's also a lot of stupid generic action movie stuff going on - limitless ammo clips, shooting the floor to drop down, attacked from the roof while in a car, it's just a fleshwound (semi-justified), and bizarrely, getting kidnapped and spirited away in a car and the kidnappers blast the radio (I guess they needed a way to make the soundtrack in-universe for some reason?)

All this nonsense makes me yearn for the good ol' days of Vampire the Masquerade.  So much lore and creativity.  So fascinating.  Quite the opposite from this movie.

Gawdzilla Sama

Took me a while to figure out where it was filmed. Kind of tips you off to why it's that way.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Terminator: Dark Fate 7/10

If you liked Terminator 2, just go ahead and watch that.  Much better movie.  Review over.

But in all honesty, this movie is to Terminator 2 what The Force Awakens was to A New Hope.  A mix of old and new characters, same roles, almost identical story beats.  It's the film equivalent of a remix.

Don't get me wrong, this movie isn't horrible, but it absolutely does not live up to the hype.  Almost everything in this movie is something we've already seen before.

I liked seeing Sarah Conner again, though she was pretty one dimensional in this one.  Almost all the characters are one dimensional.  And they might as well have had a cardboard cutout of Schwarzenegger for all he did in the movie.

And I swear to the Seven, the dialogue was straight out of Game of Thrones Season 8 - really brief, stilted lines with no emotion behind them.  Showing that clip from Terminator 2 in Dark Fate was a big mistake because it really highlights the disparity between these old but resonate monologues and the new, utterly forgettable lines.  Follow me if you want to continue vital functioning.

A couple things that really irked me:

[spoiler]The T-1000 spontaneously developing a conscience.  Makes zero sense.  How?  Why?  Someone tell the Westworld techs that it's that easy to make robots like people.  I'm sure Anthony Hopkins will be thrilled.

Legion is imitation Skynet.  And we know little and less about Legion, which is really annoying.  The only thing I know for sure about Legion is that it uses near-identical Terminator robots as Skynet (and even calls them Terminators!) despite these Terminators never actually being used as infiltrators in the future.  Then why make these robots look human?  They're humanoid robots with tentacles *coughRiftborncough* in the future, despite not needing to take a human form at all.  And in the past, the Terminator can just shapeshift to look human, so I don't see why its base form needs to be humanoid at all.  *shrugs*[/spoiler]

Munch

Every review I've seen about dark fate says the same thing, the acting is good, special effects are fine, but the story is utter garbage and shits all over fans of terminator 2.

Reports are the movies lost $120 million, and they are now cancelling the franchise
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Good god. Way to ruin a franchise. Should have left it alone after Terminator 2, but they got to have that sweet, sweet sequel money. At least Terminator 3 looked like it was building up to something interesting, but they failed to deliver after that.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Terminator 3 was so forgettable that all I remember is that there was a female T-1000 against Arnie.  That's it.  I can recite whole scenes verbatim from Terminator 2.  And I didn't even bother to see any of the movies between Terminator 3 and Dark Fate.

And as for Dark Fate, it's fading fast and not even a photo would help me remember.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 04, 2019, 11:47:13 PM
Terminator 3 was so forgettable that all I remember is that there was a female T-1000 against Arnie.  That's it.  I can recite whole scenes verbatim from Terminator 2.  And I didn't even bother to see any of the movies between Terminator 3 and Dark Fate.

And as for Dark Fate, it's fading fast and not even a photo would help me remember.

So you're saying that Dark Fate's fate is to the dark recesses of your mind?

I actually remember liking Terminator 3 alright. But I was more excited to finally see what the war between humans and robots would look like, as well as why this one person named John Conner was so damn important. The following movie was not what I was expecting, and it ends with John Conner being saved yet again, without showing why he was important to the survival of the humans.
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 05, 2019, 12:30:07 AM
So you're saying that Dark Fate's fate is to the dark recesses of your mind?

I actually remember liking Terminator 3 alright. But I was more excited to finally see what the war between humans and robots would look like, as well as why this one person named John Conner was so damn important. The following movie was not what I was expecting, and it ends with John Conner being saved yet again, without showing why he was important to the survival of the humans.
"Because he's John fucking Connor. Duh!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Dark fate makes me think of X-Men days of future past, but the opposite. With DOFP, it was designed to correct certain features that people didn't like about previous X-Men movies, invoking time travel before X-Men 3 last stand, which everyone hated, and managed to erase that train wreck off the X-Men timeline, as well as make a good movie, one that tied in the other X-Men franchise first class.
People didn't mind this because audiences were so unhappy with last stand they were happy to see it erased.

That's something the writers of dark fate didn't seem to get, because terminator 2 was a loved classic and it ended perfectly well with set up for the future. But now dark fate has managed to ruin that movies ending in a poor attempt to reboot the franchise. John Connor was built up for so long as humanities saviour, that audiences wanted see him achieve what he was building up to.
But in the director saying "Pff, fuck that, we need a new thing instead of actually completing this long build up! And it's gonna be completely out of left field!" They ended up alienating long term fans, and by fucking up so bad they quit the projects continuing, alienating new possible fans

Also, Arnold Schwarzenegger just feels so shoehorned in at this stage, just because his role as the bad and good t-800 was popular in the past, doesn't give reason to keep reusing him as this now age version of the original android

Baruch

There will be no Butlerian Jihad.  There are no giant worms on Arrakis.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Didn't they turn John Conner into a Terminator in the last movie or some stupid shit like that? I remember the trailer spoiling that twist, and I was like, "Well, I don't need to see the movie any more." What is with this fetish they have for removing John Conner from the plot? From what I heard of Dark Fate... Well, I should spoiler tag this just in case anyone actually wants to watch the movie.

[Spoiler]John Conner is killed off in the first few minutes of the film. Not only did this completely defeat the entire point of the first three movies, keeping John Conner alive long enough to do...whatever he does. But all they do with such a risky move is replace John with another character who has to be protected. It's completely unjustified.[/spoiler]
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 05, 2019, 10:22:37 AM
Didn't they turn John Conner into a Terminator in the last movie or some stupid shit like that? I remember the trailer spoiling that twist, and I was like, "Well, I don't need to see the movie any more." What is with this fetish they have for removing John Conner from the plot? From what I heard of Dark Fate... Well, I should spoiler tag this just in case anyone actually wants to watch the movie.

[Spoiler]John Conner is killed off in the first few minutes of the film. Not only did this completely defeat the entire point of the first three movies, keeping John Conner alive long enough to do...whatever he does. But all they do with such a risky move is replace John with another character who has to be protected. It's completely unjustified.[/spoiler]

I was in a video store today and brought myself copies of terminator 1 and 2 on Blu-ray on sale, and when I got to the checkout the cashier noticed what  was buying and asked "Oh are you going to see the new movie, I'm going to see it soon". I put on a smiled and said "well, I heard a few things about it, but don't want to spoil it" and just thought you poor bastard, that'll be £13 wasted.

I brought the originals as a reminder of good movies before they were ruined.

James Cameron is now like Steven Spielberg, or George Lucas, people who made something amazing in the past, but are now incapable of recapturing that magic they once did.

Munch

Munch

Thinking more on it, and just going flat out spoilers here don't care much for if someones not seen it, there is something that really pisses me off about dark fate, from the plot summery.

I can say in the same way how I felt about the alien series (alien and aliens), in the same way terminator 1 and 2 are amazing movies, but for two different reasons. The first movie was a straight up horror movie, the horror being a creature that resembled something human but had no humanity to it coming after the main character, who was just trying to protect herself and her unborn child, it was really creepy for its time.

The second movie however, while it had some horror elements with the t-1000, it was more an action movie with horror elements in it. But more then that, one of the best things I felt for in the movie was the relationship between john connor and the t-800, sent to protect him from the t-1000, and how by altering the chip in his head allowed the t-800 to process human emotion and learn, allowing john to form a close bond with him like a father figure. This is what made the t-800s sacrifice in the end of the movie all the more meaningful, because of that bond made with john connor, the fact a machine was able to understand human emotions, why they cry, just made it all the more heart felt.

Dark fate however, just fucks with all this. Starting off with having a t-800 that looked the same as the t-800 John saw as a father figure just show up and kill him, the fact it just happened with no build up, leaves that ending scene in T2 feeling less meaningful. But more then that, when it gets to later in the movie, then the new t-800 is now posing as a regular human, with a wife and adopted child, and working a regular job, this t-800 saying how he feels regret at killing John.. where the fuck did that come from? The whole emotional connection john built with the t-800 in T2 was built off of them changing that T-800s chip to allow him to learn, thus making the growth between him and john all the more meaningful. But here, for no bloody reason this new T-800 just now lives a human life and feels regret for killing john 'Just because', without reason why he now feels human emotion, no build up, nothing.

This movie just strips away at a movie I loved when younger, taking elements from it, and just making those elements into something brittle and vapid. I'm glad they lost so much money and cancelled the franchise.