News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on October 25, 2019, 05:58:50 PM
Now that we know who the Joker is going to be, who is the next Batman?
Gilbert Gottfried.  The hero we deserve, but not the one we need right now.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 28, 2019, 08:09:16 AM
Gilbert Gottfried.  The hero we deserve, but not the one we need right now.
I'm quite sure you must be joking.  I googled him because I didn't know who that was. 

Apparently he has some history with Adam West, but he was always one of those comedians that I wished would just go away.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on October 28, 2019, 08:50:04 AM
I'm quite sure you must be joking.  I googled him because I didn't know who that was. 

Dam.. that's like someone never having heard of the concept of cringe

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjc0u3hRL2Q

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yIGBWR5W43M
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I knew him when I saw him.  I just never knew his name.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on October 28, 2019, 04:29:17 PM
Dam.. that's like someone never having heard of the concept of cringe

Given the sheer number of people, tons of people are learning/experiencing something for the first time every day.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 28, 2019, 09:32:25 PM

Given the sheer number of people, tons of people are learning/experiencing something for the first time every day.

oh so true, people do learn new things every day.

But then there are things people never learn, like how all religious belief and political belief is just based not on anything real, important or tangible, but on the human primate mind going back millions of years unchanging in its group think, leaving people unable to progress beyond the same bullshit one generation onto the next.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on October 28, 2019, 10:43:42 PM

But then there are things people never learn, like how all religious belief and political belief is just based not on anything real, important or tangible, but on the human primate mind going back millions of years unchanging in its group think, leaving people unable to progress beyond the same bullshit one generation onto the next.
Most people operate on a combination of personal experience and what people around them are saying (it is known) and what they wish to be so, not logic or empiricism.  Plus, these sorts of beliefs are generally not falsifiable anyway.  So I understand your frustration.

There have been some positive developments (compare and contrast with just 60 years ago, let alone 600) so things are slowly but surely coming around, albeit with some pretty serious slip-ups and a worrying general backsliding.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on October 28, 2019, 10:43:42 PM

I wish the Dem tribe still put a bone thru their nose and wore animal skins.  Makes them easier to identify on the street.

General backsliding ... worst general ever!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

The Fanatic 

imdb scores are all over the place from both critics and users ranging from worst ever to very good.  The metascore is 17.  I don't know what that is since I'm new to idbm.  I think that's a bad score.  But having said that...

I could not look away.  John Travolta plays an autistic man obsessed with a horror film star.  This may be the most interesting thing about the film.  I've never seen Travolta do a character study this unusual before, and it turns out he's quite good at it.  He reminds me of Lenny in Of Mice and Men.  The plot is simple, but not highly predictable.  I almost didn't rent it, but I was totally surprised and happy that I did.  I thought I would mention it here, because for me, everything about it was unexpected. 

Munch

Lion king (cgi version)

Had to sit watching this thing because it was one of the films my brother gave for the nephews to watch while I babysat them.

I'll say this, the cgi is impressive, sometimes photo realistic, at some points it looked like a nature documentary.

But that was it's only plus, which in fact made the movie worse. All my brain kept going to was how expressive and emotional the original animated film was, you could tell what emotions the characters had at any given moment, something these cgi mock ups were incapable of.

The cgi backgrounds were fine but again, compared to the vibrant artwork of the backgrounds in the original it just didnt have any substance.

Same goes for the singing, they had a couple of the original songs but even then they were shallow takes on the original lacking substance.

It's like they took the original, suckes out 80% of the life, colour and vibrancy from it, slapped on a cgi face lift and released it to the public.

Fucking awful, I hate that this was how my nephews were introduced to the lion king.

1/10

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on October 30, 2019, 02:22:38 PM
Lion king (cgi version)
1/10
I would have scored it a little higher, but not much.  It's strange that so much money was sunk into cgi, but very little in the script.  I think it would be worthwhile for children however.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on October 30, 2019, 02:34:21 PM
I would have scored it a little higher, but not much.  It's strange that so much money was sunk into cgi, but very little in the script.  I think it would be worthwhile for children however.

I feel children are being robbed of something better by these cgi mock ups

I feel like buying my nephews the originals, lion king, beauty and the besst, sleeping beauty, little mermaid, Cinderella, just to show them in comparison which is better

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on October 30, 2019, 02:39:32 PM
I feel children are being robbed of something better by these cgi mock ups

I feel like buying my nephews the originals, lion king, beauty and the besst, sleeping beauty, little mermaid, Cinderella, just to show them in comparison which is better
It would be interesting to see which they prefer.  I have a nostalgia for the old Disney classics done with the original hand drawn animation.  I'm not sure children today would think they are better.  I think the Pixar technology is brilliant, but I'd like to see some of it done the old way.  But it may just be an age thing that keeps me from embracing the newer "better" stuff.

Shiranu

QuoteBut it may just be an age thing that keeps me from embracing the newer "better" stuff.

I would say, other than perhaps voice acting, it is objectively not better. The medium they chose, of quasi-realistic CGI, is simply a less effective tool at conveying animal emotions than stylized animation.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur