News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on October 16, 2019, 08:46:46 AM
I'm not familiar with any of the animations.  I've never watched one, but I'll take your word for it.

Really should check out the series if it ever appears on Netflix, one of the best cartoons of the 90s
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

The Art of Self Defense

This made it to the theaters as limited release a couple of months ago.  It sounded interesting to me, but I think the nearest theater it played was 150 miles away from me, but it is now out on DVD.  I'm hesitant to recommend it, because I'm not sure everyone will enjoy it as much as I did.  The plot didn't follow any common Hollywood format, which is always interesting to me.  It's moderately violent, and Jesse Eisenberg is usually a good bet.  Jesse is beaten up by muggers and joins a karate class, but then all sorts of unexpected things start to happen.

I give it a 9/10

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on October 16, 2019, 08:23:20 AMThis to me has always been the best archetype of the Joker, it combines the comedic elements where he could be goofing around like a cartoon character one minute, and the next he's pulling a knife and stabbing someone while laughing about it.
It's not the murder you have to watch out for - he has a rather corrupting presence.  He's more likely to get in your head and really do some damage than to off you.  And he can either scale it up for city-wide carnage or scale it down for a truly unforgettable bad day.

drunkenshoe

The Laundromat

Guys you should watch this. It's not long. It's a documentary like movie about the tax laws in the US, based on real events. It's not like movie-movie, it is like the Big Short. Ratings are bad, but of course it would be. It's not a claim of art.

Apperantly, it was sued to be removed from Netflix, but of course it was rejected by the judge.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 21, 2019, 02:45:10 AM
The Laundromat
Guys you should watch this.
It has a cast of good actors, but I don't subscribe to Netflix, and Amazon doesn't even list it a something that's going to come out on DVD.  It probably will, of course, and I'll buy or rent it then.  The Big Short, both the book and the movie, are excellent.

SGOS

Rotten Tomatoes seems to be removing archives and content from their coverage of movies and focusing on the current Box Office, and some of their links that used to lead to useful information are now coming up as blank screens.  I don't know if they are reorganizing their format, or if they just decided to reduce services.  This has been happening over the last month.  As an aid for my purposes, I'm finding it be 60% useless.  I'm now using IMDb most of the time to choose movies.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on October 21, 2019, 08:39:50 AMAs an aid for my purposes, I'm finding it be 60% useless.  I'm now using IMDb most of the time to choose movies.
Same.  Their scores tend to more closely match audience scores, which is good.  RT is fast becoming the Yelp of movie reviews - less a straight reflection of the public's views than an attempt to manipulate the public's views.  Mind the gap!

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 21, 2019, 09:04:20 AM
RT is fast becoming the Yelp of movie reviews - less a straight reflection of the public's views than an attempt to manipulate the public's views.
OMG, the Yelp horror. When Google redirects me to Yelp, I always feel flim flamed.  I look up local roofing contractors, and I am given an incomplete list of a few local general contractors, but also some from other states.  I sometimes end up driving around nearby towns looking for signs of body shops, dentists, and home heating sales and installation services, instead of using the net.  I ended up getting a new roof this summer by being redirected from one busy contractor's office to others, until I finally got one I felt like I could trust.

How can it be that local competing businesses can be a better source of directions to other businesses than some source that passes itself off as a comprehensive list?  I think Yelp makes money by charging business to be on Yelp, and Google makes money by charging Yelp to be on Google.  In the meantime, totally overlooking the needs of users and what they are using the internet for.  And the internet turns into a 24 hour advertising channel for people that want to look at commercials.

Oh, you want to buy a jar of rubber cement?  How about buying this set of dishes from Walmart instead?  Or this leash for your dog that has blinking lights on it?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 21, 2019, 09:55:24 AM
OMG, the Yelp horror. When Google redirects me to Yelp, I always feel flim flamed.  I look up local roofing contractors, and I am given an incomplete list of a few local general contractors, but also some from other states.  I sometimes end up driving around nearby towns looking for signs of body shops, dentists, and home heating sales and installation services, instead of using the net.  I ended up getting a new roof this summer by being redirected from one busy contractor's office to others, until I finally got one I felt like I could trust.

How can it be that local competing businesses can be a better source of directions to other businesses than some source that passes itself off as a comprehensive list?  I think Yelp makes money by charging business to be on Yelp, and Google makes money by charging Yelp to be on Google.  In the meantime, totally overlooking the needs of users and what they are using the internet for.  And the internet turns into a 24 hour advertising channel for people that want to look at commercials.

Oh, you want to buy a jar of rubber cement?  How about buying this set of dishes from Walmart instead?  Or this leash for your dog that has blinking lights on it?

How about Angie's List?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XApJJu0q8R0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFvEt6VbhLg&t=10s

lol, this is amazing. I remember reading about all the edgy shit leto did on the set of suicide squad, trying to be like someone like Daniel day Lewis, but just only pissing off everyone, and then getting pretentious to their reactions, and having some of his scenes cut from suicide squad.

I feel people really need to just cut his version of the joker from any lineup of jokers we've had, because him attempting to ruin Joaquin Phoenix's role just shows his lack of self awareness on how shit a version he was.

Far as I'm concerned, the lineup goes.

which probably explains a lot about letos self image, being the only bad one in a line of of good versions.

SGOS

Now that we know who the Joker is going to be, who is the next Batman?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 25, 2019, 05:58:50 PM
Now that we know who the Joker is going to be, who is the next Batman?

A transexual Hispanic dwarf ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9QbXwCoV2oQ

Good look at the problem with how women are portrayed in modern movies and TV, how today they strip women of any feminine qualities in an attempt to compete with male roles, but in an ironic twist make women as toxic as the 'toxic masculinity' many progressives today accuse men of being.

This is why characters like Ripley still stand today as how to write a strong woman

Baruch

It is difficult to be hard ass and not break a nail ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKHihAPr2Rc

As individuals, I support liberty.  When we generalize to all men, all women etc ... there are reasonable stereotypes, but always people who violate the stereotype.

So how to portray women?  Why do we have theater, movies, TV?  For escapism or realism?  I prefer feminine women in real life, but hard ass women have their value as well.  Hard to find a woman who is both.  I find those in fiction only.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers