News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Ingrid Goes West.

Independent movie. Realistic, disturbing. Some kind of horror.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

Brought myself some Halloween goodies, some classics like shining and poltergeist, and newer ones like first season of Americans horror stories and ghost stories
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on October 11, 2019, 04:09:49 PM
the links busted on that video

Weird, I've been having issues with youtube not wanting to link lately. Try this again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qd8PkLHwts&t=5s
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on October 11, 2019, 02:39:30 PM
I haven't watched the Academy Awards for years.  Most of the time I don't know who won what, nor do I care.  When I was younger, I had a mild interest in them, and I think I did enjoy some, perhaps many, of the movies that won something or other.  But there are some movies on the top of my list that were never nominated, and there are movies on the bottom of my list that have won big.  Sometimes I might agree and sometimes not, but mostly I don't care either way.  I suspect it's done mostly to create interest in movies and fill the theaters.  But I'm already interested in movies, so I don't need anyone to hype them to me.

The awards are a joke. They're less about the movies themselves and more about the actors and filmmakers kissing enough ass. That the makers of The Shape of Water weren't laughed off the stage speaks volumes about how detached from reality they are.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 11, 2019, 08:46:44 PM
The awards are a joke. They're less about the movies themselves and more about the actors and filmmakers kissing enough ass. That the makers of The Shape of Water weren't laughed off the stage speaks volumes about how detached from reality they are.

I realized this was the case when they ignored brokeback mountain for the academy awards in favor of Crash. Who the fuck even remembers Crash? I tried a few more after that but realized the pretentious nature of these award shows just discredits the art of film making itself.

drunkenshoe

Joker. Joker/Joker

This is the top of the genre based on the comic book characters and that's it. Don't expect anything better. I was sure that my expectations being so high, I will find it OK the most. I cried. It's...perfect. It's fucking zeitgeist.

I had a small medical operation today earlier (foot) and had mom with me. She knows about the movie and that I didn't want to miss it on big screen. We are going back home from the opreation and she keeps telling me off that I need to go and rest while I am giving puppy eyes, bitching her to come with me to the movie -we are walking, I am limping in pain- and she is sure she'll be bored and sleep AND I need to sit down blah blah... (Pathetic scene)

Well, now Joker has a 72 year old fan. She loved it and the last Joker she remembers is Jack Nicholson. (I explained a lot.)Now she wants to see the Batman series, but she'll be bored this time,lol. 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

It amazes me really, that a character like the joker, can have such a strong cultural relevance today, maybe more then ever before, yet the character has been around in peoples ethos for decades. At this stage he's almost become more popular then batman himself

drunkenshoe

Yeah. Offfff...he is fucking amaaaazing. I already loved Joaquin Phoenix as an actor, now he is somewhere up in the clouds.

Sal1981

The Lion King (2019) - meh/10

Liked the old animated movie more than this CGI version. The script and scenes are basically CGI copies of the original.

SGOS

The Joker has always seemed central to Batman during my lifetime, but he always seemed like one of several oddball villains that were more oddball than threatening.  Until Heath Ledger.  Heath Ledger brought the Joker to the central stage, and he did it with gusto, but it wasn't all about Ledger either.  Some writers decided to make the Joker a real badass for a change.  It was the first time I felt revolted by a Batman joker, and now he's in my head for good.  We could debate whether Ledger or Phoenix was the better Joker, but I don't think I'd know which side of the debate I'd want to be on.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on October 16, 2019, 05:39:15 AM
The Joker has always seemed central to Batman during my lifetime, but he always seemed like one of several oddball villains that were more oddball than threatening.  Until Heath Ledger.  Heath Ledger brought the Joker to the central stage, and he did it with gusto, but it wasn't all about Ledger either.  Some writers decided to make the Joker a real badass for a change.  It was the first time I felt revolted by a Batman joker, and now he's in my head for good.  We could debate whether Ledger or Phoenix was the better Joker, but I don't think I'd know which side of the debate I'd want to be on.

That's the thing with the joker, there have been several different portrayals of him over the years, all different in their respected ways, so it creates many different ways of looking at him. I myself realised how much of an intimidating villain he was thanks to Mark Hamills portrayed him in the animated series in the 90s. After that was ledger's Joker that did it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FK332cDUh8U

It was this animated series that sold me on the joker as character, before that I only had the old Adam west batman series joker, and Jack Nicholsons take.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on October 16, 2019, 05:39:15 AM
The Joker has always seemed central to Batman during my lifetime, but he always seemed like one of several oddball villains that were more oddball than threatening.
I dunno, Mark Hamill's Joker in the Batman animated series, while still somewhat campy, was definitely more menacing than campy.

Two words: joker fish.

QuoteSome writers decided to make the Joker a real badass for a change.
Agreed.  And by the same token, Jared Leto's joker was so poorly written that no actor could have saved it.  No one can say such infamous lines as "hunka hunka" without coming across as silly.

Imo, they should've revealed him to be a brainwashed Robin.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 16, 2019, 07:19:36 AM
I dunno, Mark Hamill's Joker in the Batman animated series, while still somewhat campy, was definitely more menacing than campy.

Not just that, but his take in mask of the phantasm was so sinister, and in this movie he actually killed people as opposed to nearly killing people in the animated show.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3OqQokqg1vg

This to me has always been the best archetype of the Joker, it combines the comedic elements where he could be goofing around like a cartoon character one minute, and the next he's pulling a knife and stabbing someone while laughing about it.

SGOS

I'm not familiar with any of the animations.  I've never watched one, but I'll take your word for it.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on October 07, 2019, 05:25:01 PM
You starting to see now the impact the social justice mindset has on people? It creates the same mental blocks for rationality that religion creates

SJWs are anarchists more than Marxist (See Extinction Rebellion reclassification).  Specifically anarcho-syndicalists ... as we saw over 100 years ago in French political history.  France, the moldy cheese that keeps on giving.

Gone back to old films.  Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes (saw most of these, but classics).  Peter Lorre as Mr Moto (I only ever saw one of these, 50 years ago).  Sidney Toler as Charlie Chan.  They made lots of good films, 1935-1945.  Look Ma ... no CGI!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.