News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 07, 2019, 08:36:03 PM
He's not literally telling you his name, Cap.  Listen to the tone, not the words.  Same deal with Chewbacca and R2D2.
When he says "I am Groot" to Rocket just before he dusts he's saying "I love you" according to the Rousseau brothers.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 08, 2019, 06:14:11 AM
When he says "I am Groot" to Rocket just before he dusts he's saying "I love you" according to the Rousseau brothers.

Actually, that one time he said, "We are Groot."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on September 08, 2019, 05:39:27 AM
I got carried away at the Redbox and among other films, I rented The Utah Cabin Murders.  Supposedly this really happened. I don't know if it's a good movie, because I could only watch about 10%.  Early on in the film, a mother and daughter are having a discussion about religion, because the grown daughter had left the church, disgusted with all the hypocrisy and money grubbing that goes on in religion in general.  OK, OK, I agree, but this sounded like a set up for some future fuzzy where daughter sees the light and accepts Jesus as her savior, and I'm thinking, "Could this be a backdoor attempt to use Hollywood to save my soul?"  I mean it's THE UTAH CABIN MURDERS for crying out loud.

So I fast forwarded to the middle of the film, where one of the psychos is chasing one of the girls in the family who escaped from the cabin through the woods.  He's just behind her and the filmography shows him slowly gaining on her.  There's lots of shots of running feet:  Now hers.  Then his.  Now hers again.  Suddenly, she stops because she's out of breath, but somehow the psycho is nowhere around.  She's on the lookout though, and she's looking all around except right behind her.  Why doesn't she look behind?  "Look behind you, Dummy!"  Then the psycho comes out of the woods.  He's right behind her, but takes forever to get to her, while she surveys the woods in front of her, even though he was always behind her.  He grabs her shoulder, and she turns around and slams him a good one right in the face, and he's out cold lying on the snow having dropped his knife about two feet from where he's lying.  She doesn't pick up the knife, nor does she kick it away, but just walks around him with her feet always within 12 inches of his hands.  Now even when Cassius Clay sent Sonny Liston to the mat, Liston was still able to get up.  OK, he laid there kind of rolling around before they helped him up, but the psycho is out cold, until he suddenly wakes up with a start and grabs her by the legs.  He was probably just taking a rest, because he overpowers her with new vigor, like he just got up from a power nap.

I turned off the movie and took it back to Redbox.  What is wrong with these people?  Someone, please watch the movie, and tell me if it was any good.
I can't watch these things, either.  And something that always gripes me to no end, is where the girl running gets caught, they struggle and she somehow gets a weapon or brick or something and gets in a lucky hit or two and the monster/psycho goes down  The girl then throws the weapon down and starts running.  Why the fuck did she not just keep bashing the monster until it was only a bloody pulp? ???  And I see this play out in many more instances than just horror or monster movies.  Then the monster/psycho gathers himself and the chase is on--again.  Irritating as hell!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

First clip is where I am moving to ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4MXPIpj5sA

Watching this again.  Eat your jealous hearts out.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on September 08, 2019, 01:02:01 PM
First clip is where I am moving to ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4MXPIpj5sA

Watching this again.  Eat your jealous hearts out.

First thing I need to know, how is the internet connection there?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 08, 2019, 01:43:58 PM
First thing I need to know, how is the internet connection there?

I will be in town, not in a hogan ;-)  But in a pinch I can always ask the Kachinas.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 08, 2019, 11:15:14 AM
Actually, that one time he said, "We are Groot."
In Infinity War, it was "I am Groot".  "We are Groot" was Guardians of the Galaxy.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 08, 2019, 08:02:53 PM
In Infinity War, it was "I am Groot".  "We are Groot" was Guardians of the Galaxy.

Groot had seen the US miniseries, Roots?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Just saw It chapter 2 today.

The good points first. The adult cast in this were really good, I especially loved Isaiah Mustafa and Jay Ryan (why Mustafa hasn't been in more prominent roles is beyond me), but overall I loved the chemistry with the adult cast, it felt like these really were the adult versions of the kids from chapter 1. Bill Skarsgård as pennywise was incredible again, had a couple chilling moments with him I loved.

I think some of the problems that weighed against this movie however were as something Chris Stuckmann said in his review of it. What worked so well in the first chapter, is something that didn't work as well in the second chapter, and that was in the first chapter, because the perspective of the movie was from that of a group of children going up against a lovecraftian monster, that gave a lot more tension, from the childrens perspective and fear they had for what they were faced with.

The adults from their perspective, they had already been though all that, and now are grown up, having lived lives, and you would think the fears children have would be different to the fears adults have, and that would come out in what It/pennywise did with them.

Another issue is the pacing of the movie. It the novel is a massive book, with a loooot of lore added by stephen king, that made everything else in the book work as a narrative. Because the book had so much detail in it, the movie had to cut out a lot of that, and so there are things in this movie that feel like plotholes or plotpoints that deserved more explanation. And yet with the near 3 hour run time, it felt like details were put into things that could have been used to better flesh out other things, like explaining what IT is, the ritual and its origins, further backstory on derrys legacy and pennywise what he was doing.

Of course like say an adaptation needs to cut out a lot of stuff to make it work sometimes, and for the most part it did. I really wanted to know what they would face at the end of this, because I remember how pissed off people were at the end of the TV movie in the second half and the giant spider thing. This thing did have the giant spider, but it was felt more like the movie makers did that very tongue in cheek in homage to the original, while still showing what It really looked like.

Overall, I liked the movie, the pacing was off in places but it didn't feel it dragged as badly as some people say, but the problems like say where the fear aspect didn't work as well with the adults as it did with the children, I felt it could have used some more fleshing out in places, but the actors and performances were really good, and this one didn't feel like a bunch of daytime TV stars coming into a role and messing it up.

overall 7/10. Not as good as the first chapter, but for sure a ton better in the tv movie second half from the 80s, due to the actors.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 07, 2019, 08:10:05 AM
The Guardians are a crowd of dysfunctional people who are a rolling trainwreck. Fun to watch.

Yes I do like the racoon.  And "trainwreck" is a good description.  I just hate Groot.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 03:27:20 AM
Yes I do like the racoon.  And "trainwreck" is a good description.
Please! "Trash panda." Show some respect.
QuoteI just hate Groot.
Vin Diesel did the voice for Groot to make his children happy. I can forgive almost anything with that motivation.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 11, 2019, 06:49:14 AM
Please! "Trash panda." Show some respect. Vin Diesel did the voice for Groot to make his children happy. I can forgive almost anything with that motivation.

Van who?  The purpose of doing the voice has little to do with the viewers of the movie.   I seldom recognize the voices.   I did see an ad recently and realized "hey, that was Bob from 'Bob's Burgers'.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 07:28:21 AM
Van who?  The purpose of doing the voice has little to do with the viewers of the movie.
I agree with that puzzling statement.
QuoteI seldom recognize the voices.   I did see an ad recently and realized "hey, that was Bob from 'Bob's Burgers'.
I like to back track artists. Like "Nagini" in the latest "Fantastic Beasts", movie. Claudia Kim was the Korean scientist in "Age of Ultron" and the seer in "Dark Tower." It's a game Boss Lady and I play, "hey, who's that?" "Oh, it's a (regularly seen) face."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 11, 2019, 07:57:23 AM
I agree with that puzzling statement.I like to back track artists. Like "Nagini" in the latest "Fantastic Beasts", movie. Claudia Kim was the Korean scientist in "Age of Ultron" and the seer in "Dark Tower." It's a game Boss Lady and I play, "hey, who's that?" "Oh, it's a (regularly seen) face."

Who, what?  ;)

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 08:02:31 AM
Who, what?  ;)

Godzilla is the kind of guy who memorizes baseball stats, only not that.  Autistic symptom.  I am nothing like that ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.