Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 29, 2019, 06:39:07 AM
It said "Godzilla" in the title.

It said "Monsters" in the title.
Sure, but an airplane the size of a small village? Come on.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 29, 2019, 01:13:50 PM
Sure, but an airplane the size of a small village? Come on.
You went to a movie touted as being about the Monsterverse and expected some tinge of reality?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

I am re-watching "Van Helsing", and I forgot how fucking amazing this movie is.

Is it shitty? Yeah. Is it cheesy? Yep. But is it a proper movie? Hell yes, and it's fun in bursts. It's got a certain realness to it, even with all the CGI, that nearly all modern movies lack.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on August 29, 2019, 07:41:36 PM

Is it shitty? Yeah. Is it cheesy? Yep. But is it a proper movie? Hell yes, and it's fun in bursts. It's got a certain realness to it, even with all the CGI, that nearly all modern movies lack.
And Faramir makes a great monk/savant.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Hugh jackman with long hair was a match made in heaven.

The movie itself was trashy fun, like a carnival, but it wasn't ashamed to do what it did, so I enjoyed it.

also my boyfriend has a thing for werewolves, so he enjoyed it.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

It really is glorious schlock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1mOeuI8JOs

It's one of those rare series that has such stylistic flair, such charisma, so drenched in the rule of cool, that it's good on that basis alone.

Its use of nazis is pretty interesting to me when I found out that werewolves are somehow associated both with nazis and vampires.  Or maybe I'm overthinking it and the animators just needed disposable goons whose deaths no one would be upset about.

Also, do Japanese animators know all that much about Christianity?  Japan was only partially Christianized, and it's something like 2% nowadays.  There are a hell of a lot of crosses and angels and halos in animation, but very little of actual Christian doctrine.  I wonder sometimes if they're aware of it and opted not to use it (understandable) or just have very little idea about it.

*edit - damnit, I'm just now noticing the "Van" in your post.  :(

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 29, 2019, 07:46:40 PM
And Faramir makes a great monk/savant.

It took me so long to know that was him. I kept on knowing he looked familiar, but couldn't figure it out.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 29, 2019, 08:51:30 PM
It really is glorious schlock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1mOeuI8JOs

It's one of those rare series that has such stylistic flair, such charisma, so drenched in the rule of cool, that it's good on that basis alone.

Its use of nazis is pretty interesting to me when I found out that werewolves are somehow associated both with nazis and vampires.  Or maybe I'm overthinking it and the animators just needed disposable goons whose deaths no one would be upset about.

Also, do Japanese animators know all that much about Christianity?  Japan was only partially Christianized, and it's something like 2% nowadays.  There are a hell of a lot of crosses and angels and halos in animation, but very little of actual Christian doctrine.  I wonder sometimes if they're aware of it and opted not to use it (understandable) or just have very little idea about it.

*edit - damnit, I'm just now noticing the "Van" in your post.  :(

Helsing Is also one of my all-time favorite series as well.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on August 29, 2019, 09:49:24 PM
It took me so long to know that was him. I kept on knowing he looked familiar, but couldn't figure it out.
An actor with more than one string in his bow.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Hydra009

I actually really liked the part with the Merovingian, though the part with the cake was stupid imo.  And the kiss.  And some of the fighting.  But it was really great for like 1-2 minutes.

But yeah, Reloaded was saddled with a shitton of exposition with very little character agency.  You could maybe make a case for that since the exposition is needed to set up the grand finale and the limited character agency is necessary to make the characters seemed trapped, but I don't buy it.

Even something as simple as a small heist inside the matrix where Neo and crew make choices (even something as simple as going left or right down a hallway) and their adversary anticipates and trounces them would have done wonders for this film.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 29, 2019, 10:20:34 AM
James Arness was The Thing from Another World, aka the walking carrot. In "Them" he was an FBI agent, you could actually see his face. Shortly after that movie came out, while playing a Greek warrior in a play, Arness was spotted by agent Charles K. Feldman, who represented John Wayne. Feldman introduced Arness to Wayne, who put the self-described 6' 6" actor under personal contract. Arness played several roles over the next few years for and with Wayne, whom he considered a mentor. In 1955, Wayne recommended Arness for the lead role of Matt Dillon in the TV series Gunsmoke (1955).

I knew it was Arness, but I was too late to the discussion....

I watch minor supporting roles in plays and movies in the credits (back when you could actually read them and tapes and DVDs let you slow down that part).  You get some real surprises. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2019, 01:57:35 AM
I knew it was Arness, but I was too late to the discussion....

I watch minor supporting roles in plays and movies in the credits (back when you could actually read them and tapes and DVDs let you slow down that part).  You get some real surprises. 
Like Leonard Nimoy in "THEM", uncredited.
PZ Myers

Sal1981

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum - 7/10

More deaths and melee fighting than in the 2 previous movies. You get what's on the tin; a thin story, and loads of excessive violence.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 31, 2019, 05:39:15 PM
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum - 7/10

More deaths and melee fighting than in the 2 previous movies. You get what's on the tin; a thin story, and loads of excessive violence.
Been a while since I saw someone beat to death with a book.
PZ Myers