News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 21, 2019, 08:12:50 AM
Meh. The Matrix was contrived, the plot was a bit lame, and the action was cartoonish. Other than that it wasn't much.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on August 21, 2019, 02:34:38 PMThe Matrix is honestly a masterpiece of cinematography, and looking back at the second and third one's through the lens of, "How does this movie speak on a philosophical level" rather than, "OO GUNS! SLOW MO! COOL!!!!", they are actually pretty deep movies as well.
I'll be honest, I really loved the bullet time and kung fu.  The security checkpoint scene blew my...err...mind.

But the lore is really fascinating.  I actually sympathize with the machines on some level, since they were cruelly treated, but obviously, they went too far, humans are no longer a real threat to them, so they can be lenient and at the very least, give them their own virtual world without an intelligent machine presence.

I didn't think about it from a transgender angle until extremely recently, but that makes sense.  It always struck me as odd that people's Matrix personas weren't all that different from how they are in reality.  Though I suppose it would confuse the audience too much if two different actors play the same character.

Quote"Show me, don't tell me" like the first one did, and it shows.
Vis-a-vis concordiantly erudite dialeticism.  I thought I was such an idiot for not be able to understand that the first time around.

I've gotta say though, I really enjoyed the Merovingian.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on August 21, 2019, 04:43:19 PM
I love this, it just further confirms how bad the next phase of the MCU will be, with killing off or swapping out major marvel heros with more 'woke progressive' forced narrative.
Of course Spiderman, a little white boy, wasn't going to survive in it.

What the fuck does a squabble between Sony and Disney over how they share the cut of the earnings from Spider-Man movies have to do with "woke progressives?" You're just completely obsessed with your SJW boogieman narrative, aren't you?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Sal1981

MiB: International - 6/10

Nothing too fancy. Pretty much just boilerplate story-telling.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 21, 2019, 05:00:55 PM

First, I love that gif. Second, his opinion on comic book movies clearly disqualifies his opinion on any other movie so it's whatever ;).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 21, 2019, 04:47:07 PM
Holy mother of identity politics.

Coming from you my dear, I consider that a compliment. *tips hat*
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 21, 2019, 05:38:46 PM
What the fuck does a squabble between Sony and Disney over how they share the cut of the earnings from Spider-Man movies have to do with "woke progressives?" You're just completely obsessed with your SJW boogieman narrative, aren't you?

When you live through seeing your fav comic book characters upended by wokeness to the point of it near bankrupting many comic titles, and the threat of these things destroying a once good industry, you tend to look at the progression of the movieverse going in the same direction and the same mistakes being made with heavy cynicism
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

QuoteComing from you my dear, I consider that a compliment. *tips hat*

If you dislike something someone does, and you do the same thing to the point where even that person is aghast at how stupidly far you took it, that's hardly something to take pride in.

Of course, you have always been the biggest player of identity politics here so it's not all that shocking you took it that far... but even though you always know it's possible, it's still batshit to see it actually voiced.

QuoteWhen you live through seeing your fav comic book characters upended by wokeness to the point of it near bankrupting many comic titles, and the threat of these things destroying a once good industry, you tend to look at the progression of the movieverse going in the same direction and the same mistakes being made with heavy cynicism

Let  me sum that up for you....

"I don't care about reality because it doesn't agree with my hurt feelings, so it's wrong and I'm right."

Comic books were failing long before "woke" culture.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 21, 2019, 05:12:43 PM
I'll be honest, I really loved the bullet time and kung fu.
I pass on Kung fu movies.  I don't even read the synopsis when one shows up.  Certain names associated with the art of Kung fu get rejected out of hand also.  The Matrix was worthwhile for other reasons.  To me it's not even a Kung fu movie, although I realize that Kenau Reeves built much of his reputation as a Kung fu kind of guy, so I guess that had to be part of the movie, but I don't think it was really necessary.

Maybe it's a generational thing for me.  My childhood fantasies involved judo.  No one I knew ever heard of Kung fu.  I remember it being explained to me when it became fashionable.  I said, "Well isn't that just judo?"  I was corrected by my playmate, a self identified authority on the subject.  He said, "No, no, it's completely different," as he went on to explain the finer points, none of which I can remember.  It just seemed like judo.  Still does, but it seems like it has more shouting.

I was born during the last days of WWII, and I cut my teeth on Saturday afternoon war hero films at the local theater, which were basically just propaganda films starring John Wayne.  I remember wondering with my playmates, if a judo guy and a wrestler guy had a fight, who would win?  Somewhere around the age of 7, my fascination with the art of judo was squashed, along with any potential fascination with any other forms of the marshal arts, when a kid two years older laid it all out for me and my friends in the alley behind my house.  He said, "All that judo stuff is just junk.  That's the reason we beat the Japs, cause the old American one-two always beats that judo crap."  I think he probably got this from his father, who was actually in the war.  Anyway, I didn't question him, because he was almost ten, which in my mind qualified him as an adult, and it never occurred to me that the atom bomb or the potential alternative of fire bombing all of Japan's major cities had anything to do with the outcome of the war.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on August 21, 2019, 04:43:19 PM
I love this, it just further confirms how bad the next phase of the MCU will be, with killing off or swapping out major marvel heros with more 'woke progressive' forced narrative.
Of course Spiderman, a little white boy, wasn't going to survive in it.

The Culture Progressives won't be happy until every boy is turned into a transgendered, African-Hispanic, Muslim terrorist in a burkha, wielding a pink plastic nerf AK-47 ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on August 21, 2019, 08:02:07 PM
The Culture Progressives won't be happy until every boy is turned into a transgendered, African-Hispanic, Muslim terrorist in a burkha, wielding a pink plastic nerf AK-47 ;-)

Please don't feed his delusions.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on August 21, 2019, 07:34:50 PMI remember wondering with my playmates, if a judo guy and a wrestler guy had a fight, who would win?
A question for the ages.

I would assume that a master martial artist would have the advantage since a lot of basic martial arts moves focus on intercepting basic incoming blows and turning them aside.

Personally, I would like to learn taijiquan (tai chi) sometime.  It seems fluid and elegant - more defensive and lower strength requirements than other martial arts.  There's something supremely gratifying in seeing a 20-year-old lunge at an 80-year-old and the aged defender just grabs his attacker's wrist and twists, spinning his attacker off balance and helpless.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 21, 2019, 08:28:49 PMThere's something supremely gratifying in seeing a 20-year-old lunge at an 80-year-old and the aged defender just grabs his attacker's wrist and twists, spinning his attacker off balance and helpless.
Budokan, 1983. Awesome to watch.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 21, 2019, 08:13:59 PM
Please don't feed his delusions.

You may have matured past being a cadre of the Woke World Revolution ... but there are always more 20 somethings where you came from ;-)

Identity politics is a real thing.  And I have the wrong identity according to the Left.  They can make as many Blair Witch Projects as they like.

But I wouldn't even rape that Gillette commercial (borrowed from Sargon of Akkad).

Anyone see "War of the Arrows" ... from 2012.  Warning, low-testosterone suffers won't like this one.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--