News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 20, 2019, 07:29:44 PM
In movie news, there's going to be a Matrix 4.

Whoa.

How? What would it even be about? The war is over. Neo is dead. The agents are deleted. Are the robots just going to decide not to keep their word?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 20, 2019, 07:41:17 PM
There are movies I haven't followed.  I'm not even sure what Matrix 1 was about.
Glad you asked.  It's basically the allegory of the cave with robots thrown in.

It's about conformity vs non-conformity, predeterminism vs choice, it's even a little about technology and whether or not we should shun new techology, embrace it, or try to find some sort of synthesis between old and new. It's really fascinating stuff!

QuoteAnd no, I don't care.
:''''''(

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 20, 2019, 08:26:25 PM
How? What would it even be about? The war is over. Neo is dead. The agents are deleted. Are the robots just going to decide not to keep their word?
It's not completely wrapped up.

Neo *might* be dead, but he was plugged into the machine city, so we'll see if some small fragment if him survived.

And there is only a fragile cease-fire between the humans and the machines.  The Matrix is still up and running, the only difference is that the machines no longer violently suppress redpills.  The machines may have found a loophole in that agreement to use *other* means to lessen that without resorting to violence.  *gestating...*

Both the machines and humans will be faced with hardliners who hate the truce and want to resume hostilities.

Additionally, there could be an outside threat to both that we haven't seen yet...

Cavebear

Im waiting to see Incredibles 2 and Avengers;Infinity War.  I din't pay for movies .  The popcorn is bad and the teens are noisey and the chairs are stiscky,  I like my TV Chair and fridge.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 20, 2019, 09:26:23 PM
Im waiting to see Incredibles 2 and Avengers;Infinity War.  I din't pay for movies .  The popcorn is bad and the teens are noisey and the chairs are stiscky,  I like my TV Chair and fridge.
Infinity War is out on DVD, and the Matrix has been out on DVD since almost the beginning of DVDs.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 20, 2019, 09:22:00 PMAdditionally, there could be an outside threat to both that we haven't seen yet...

(God, I hope not. lol)
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

It's possible.  But less Martian, more Crystalline Entity.

But the real focus isn't the aliens, it's the pressure that threat exerts, which forces the machines and humans to form a more symbiotic relationship out of sheer desperation.

Think about how things were in Europe before and after the Black Death.  Now think about something like that times 10^2

Draconic Aiur

Lion King 2019 followed the classic 95 percent. Beyonce had to give it a shitty song. The movie had not the magic it does in the classic.
4.5/10

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 20, 2019, 09:26:23 PM
Im waiting to see Incredibles 2 and Avengers;Infinity War.
Incredibles 2 is a worthy sequel. Wait for Endgame to come out in a mode you approve of and watch the set back-to-back, a five hour marathon.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on August 20, 2019, 07:41:17 PM
There are movies I haven't followed.  I'm not even sure what Matrix 1 was about.  And no, I don't care.
I suppose you can survive without seeing the Matrix, and I don't think it's necessary to see II and III, but the Matrix at it's time, resonated with viewers on something people were thinking about, but Hollywood had never articulated so vividly before.  Today many sci fi movies are built on the concept of the Matrix, The Thirteenth Floor being one I would highly recommend. 

If you watched the Matrix today, it may strike you as "just another....", but way back when, it was the first of it's kind, although I think it still holds up well on its own today.  Also, there are some interesting characters that helped make the movie.  I don't think I'd ever noticed Hugo Weaving before the Matrix, but you will never forget him after seeing the Matrix.  Mr. Anderson, Mr. Anderson, Mr. Anderson.  Mr. Anderson will never forget him anyway, nor will will the name "Anderson" ever sound the same way to you again.

Gawdzilla Sama

Meh. The Matrix was contrived, the plot was a bit lame, and the action was cartoonish. Other than that it wasn't much.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 20, 2019, 09:13:22 PM
Glad you asked.  It's basically the allegory of the cave with robots thrown in.

It's about conformity vs non-conformity, predeterminism vs choice, it's even a little about technology and whether or not we should shun new techology, embrace it, or try to find some sort of synthesis between old and new. It's really fascinating stuff!
:''''''(

It's also a statement about transgenderism, which makes sense given the directors transgenderism.

The Matrix is honestly a masterpiece of cinematography, and looking back at the second and third one's through the lens of, "How does this movie speak on a philosophical level" rather than, "OO GUNS! SLOW MO! COOL!!!!", they are actually pretty deep movies as well. They just didn't follow the ethos of, "Show me, don't tell me" like the first one did, and it shows.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 20, 2019, 08:15:41 PM
https://youtu.be/IYomswXLYQ8

I love this, it just further confirms how bad the next phase of the MCU will be, with killing off or swapping out major marvel heros with more 'woke progressive' forced narrative.
Of course Spiderman, a little white boy, wasn't going to survive in it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur