News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: SGOS on August 01, 2019, 02:16:21 PM
How about this?  Thor realizes that his life has been unfulfilled because he finally recognizes that for the last thousand years, he's been a woman trapped in a man's body.  He undergoes reconstructive surgery and resumes his role as leader of his people?

Or:

In order to take revenge for being denied the throne, Loki changes Thor into a woman, but Thor remains unaffected by Loki's diabolical plot, kills Loki (I never liked that asshole much anyway), and learns to live with the change, but somehow get's his old eye back because I'm not that turned on my one eyed women.

Have to say, she don't do it for me either.

Actually, nobody in this manga, really, I think it's the over-the-topness.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 01, 2019, 01:57:05 PM
Bingo!  That sums it up for me.  I love women superheroes.  The so called fairer sex tearing the heads off bank robbers and rapists is very appealing.  Love Wonder Woman (the one character that put's DC ahead of Marvel on gender equality).  There's Red Witch and Black widow that deserve more attention.  Even revenge films where a woman hunts down her betrayers, and wipes the floor with them before she kills them off one after another are great fun.  Captain Marvel is OK, because I understand the DC restraining order over intellectual property, but changing Thor to a woman makes little sense.  Actual Norse mythology is what it is.  Maybe just magically transfer Thor's powers to Jane Foster, and make her the supreme ruler of Asgard, but call her Queen Jane of the New Realm or something.  This wouldn't be disrespectful to either gender, mythology, or the MCU, while still being empowering to modern women, if in fact this is what this whole gender reassignment is supposed to accomplish.  And you've already got some lesser women heroes with potentially interesting origin stories that have not been elevated to their full capacity for no other reason than Marvel just hasn't.  But that could easily be added in or fixed without getting rid of established characters.

Now I haven't seen the next Thor movie.  Maybe Disney can pull this off without disturbing fan's sense of continuity. But it's going to be challenging, and maybe even potentially harmful to the franchise too.

I think they will get away with it because the only ones who remember that Dr Don Blake originally became Thor by hitting his cane on a cave wall are annoying old farts like me.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Interesting this comes out, right after I read the comments about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Cp1R5u-B4
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

I'm still waiting for Infinity War to come on cable free.  I hate movie theaters.  And I hate paying for movies.  I'm waiting for Incredibles2 but that might actually be available.  Gotta check that.

drunkenshoe

It's always easier to change the gender rather than create a new one. As they are mostly male, they are turning them into female one by one to profit from the comic book movies era before it ends. They are only doing it for money, only money and people insist to see it from a gender war polemic. LOL It's kids watch these movies the most. When the heroes are familiar, parents choose them to bring/let their kids to watch it. Hype is much easier.

When they made Supergirl, I was a little kid. They made a Supergirl, because Superman was in and they expected it would make money because of superman. There weren't SJWs or these identity politics then.     

Now, it makes more money than ever. Why wouldn't they make them? They will make a pac woman movie. A friday the 13th with a female Jason, a female Freddy Kruger...etc. So many material. LOOL   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cavebear

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 05, 2019, 04:20:13 PM
It's always easier to change the gender rather than create a new one. As they are mostly male, they are turning them into female one by one to profit from the comic book movies era before it ends. They are only doing it for money, only money and people insist to see it from a gender war polemic. LOL It's kids watch these movies the most. When the heroes are familiar, parents choose them to bring/let their kids to watch it. Hype is much easier.

When they made Supergirl, I was a little kid. They made a Supergirl, because Superman was in and they expected it would make money because of superman. There weren't SJWs or these identity politics then.     

Now, it makes more money than ever. Why wouldn't they make them? They will make a pac woman movie. A friday the 13th with a female Jason, a female Freddy Kruger...etc. So many material. LOOL

I sadly agree.  It is the name "Thor" that sells tickets, not that the Thor of myth was male.  And I think it is probably a Good Thing that young women have more forceful characters to admire that look like them.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 05, 2019, 02:27:45 PM
I'm still waiting for Infinity War to come on cable free.  I hate movie theaters.  And I hate paying for movies.
Stop waiting and go look.
QuoteI'm waiting for Incredibles2 but that might actually be available.  Gotta check that.
At least as good as the first one. "Jack Jack vs. the trash panda" equals "Dash's Run" for me.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Hobbs and Shaw 4/10
Not Duane Johnson's best movie.  Action, high speed chases, and wise cracks throughout, but not that creative.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on August 05, 2019, 07:14:00 PM
Hobbs and Shaw 4/10
Not Duane Johnson's best movie.  Action, high speed chases, and wise cracks throughout, but not that creative.
Wasn't hoping for anything else from them.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hiB7pE9qank

Summery, race bending characters is stupid. It's cheap because rather then developing pre existing black characters, they take the cheap route of race changing characters, all just to force that diversity quota to appeal to idiots who have no connection to the source material
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sal1981

Green Book - 9/10

Viggo Mortensen is fat and plays an Italian hardball driving a black pianist through the deep south during the 60ies. Oh, and it won an Oscar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC-_Gon2p9M

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 05, 2019, 05:51:42 PM
Stop waiting and go look. At least as good as the first one. "Jack Jack vs. the trash panda" equals "Dash's Run" for me.

OK, OK..  Infinity Wars sometime some.

But "Jack Jack vs the Trash Panda"?  I have to watch that tomorrow night for sure (today is Thursday here).  I'll need some cooked ground meat.  I have tortilla chips, salsa, and cheap cheese.

Blackleaf

*Heavy sigh*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDj8Y2K0ODA

Who asked for this? I'll admit, it looks a lot better than the first one based on the trailer, but does every terrible movie really need to get a sequel?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 08, 2019, 11:54:40 AM
OK, OK..  Infinity Wars sometime some.

But "Jack Jack vs the Trash Panda"?  I have to watch that tomorrow night for sure (today is Thursday here).  I'll need some cooked ground meat.  I have tortilla chips, salsa, and cheap cheese.
Take a pound of ground beef. Brown it. Drain if you wish. Then add a jar of salsa. Simmer for five minutes. Instant taco meat.
PZ Myers