Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 20, 2019, 05:31:14 PM
Yeah, like this scene from My Name Is Nobody:

I love this, and it's a really good movie.

I loved the Nobody movies but I didn't remember that scene.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 20, 2019, 01:06:45 AM
I noticed this notation regarding the movie Hellboy at my Redbox website.  I struggled with it because I couldn't believe there was such a movie Association.  I think it was hard to understand because some words are capitalized that might normally not be.  Also, it's 1:00 AM:

Rated R by the Motion Picture Association of America for Bloody Horror Violence
The MPAA?  Oh it's real alright.

It's the reason why a lot of movies were toned down to be PG-13 rather than R.

This rating system produces a lot of oddities like this:

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Natalie Portman announced as the new Thor.

I'm meh about this, not because "OmG fEmAlE tHoR!!!" but her character didn't really scream... Thor... to me.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on July 21, 2019, 12:43:35 AM
Natalie Portman announced as the new Thor.

I'm meh about this, not because "OmG fEmAlE tHoR!!!" but her character didn't really scream... Thor... to me.

Wait, what? But what happened to the original Thor? It's not like he died or anything. And didn't Natalie Portman play Thor's girlfriend in the earlier movies?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Sal1981

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 21, 2019, 10:04:31 AM
Wait, what? But what happened to the original Thor? It's not like he died or anything. And didn't Natalie Portman play Thor's girlfriend in the earlier movies?

In the comics Jane foster, Thor's on and off girlfriend is the one they make female Thor into, so by comic book continuity they are following that.

However, female Thor comics tanked and they had to cancel the series because nobody was buying the comics

Apparently that wasn't enough of a message for why making female Thor a movie might be the worst idea, you know, after hiring an sjw to play Captain marvel.

'progressives' don't buy comics, and as these ridiculous 'progressive' marvel character reimaginings have shown, these ideas won't win people over.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

I liked the ending of Endgame where Thor passed the torch to that plucky Valkyrie and previous drunk.  Natalie Portman?  I'm in love with her, so I'm open, but not convinced.  So will she no longer be the ex Jane Foster, and what happens to that other chick that was to become the new Thor?  Does Portman just assume a new character?  This role switching is more disturbing to me than the gender issue.  Should Robert Downy Jr. become the next Captain America?  I don't mind suspending my disbelief for science fiction, but the switching of roles kind of tests my limitations.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on July 21, 2019, 12:05:39 PM
I liked the ending of Endgame where Thor passed the torch to that plucky Valkyrie and previous drunk.  Natalie Portman?  I'm in love with her, so I'm open, but not convinced.  So will she no longer be the ex Jane Foster, and what happens to that other chick that was to become the new Thor?  Does Portman just assume a new character?  This role switching is more disturbing to me than the gender issue.  Should Robert Downy Jr. become the next Captain America?  I don't mind suspending my disbelief for science fiction, but the switching of roles kind of tests my limitations.

Taking character who have been that character doe decades, and then just race/gender swapping them out tends to piss most normal people off. This is why female thor comics tanked, infact its why most of marvel comics lineup in the last few years have been doing so badly because they keep doing this.

Also, race/gender swapping characters is just showing how creativity bankrupt someone is, to not make there own new characters, but instead ride off the back of pre-established ones, giving them no real identity.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/apr/03/marvel-executive-says-emphasis-on-diversity-may-have-alienated-readers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GtbtJMjgNZI

Blackleaf

Thor is in space at the moment, with the Guardians of the Galaxy. How is Jane Foster supposed to get Thor's powers? Is she going to space? Also, wasn't it established that Thor's powers were from himself, not the hammer? But passing off the hammer gives them his powers? Doesn't make any sense. Wait. Is female Thor going to be in a movie, or just one of those spinoff shows with questionable canonicity?
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 21, 2019, 03:42:20 PM
Thor is in space at the moment, with the Guardians of the Galaxy. How is Jane Foster supposed to get Thor's powers? Is she going to space? Also, wasn't it established that Thor's powers were from himself, not the hammer? But passing off the hammer gives them his powers? Doesn't make any sense. Wait. Is female Thor going to be in a movie, or just one of those spinoff shows with questionable canonicity?

Their trying to push phase 4 MCU as being super inclusive to representation (something more important then story) so they aren't really going to care about correct continuity or plot holes

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 21, 2019, 04:20:47 PM
Their trying to push phase 4 MCU as being super inclusive to representation (something more important then story) so they aren't really going to care about correct continuity or plot holes

Yeah, but is this for a movie or a spinoff? I know they're doing a Loki spinoff, and a Winter Soldier / Falcon (I think) spinoff for their new streaming service no one asked for. Those shows seem to be for the stories no one will see on the big screen. So if that is where fem Thor is going, no big deal.
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

It's hard to imagine Natalie Portman wielding Thor's hammer.  Now, a whip; I could get off on that.