News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

A-heh.  Re: the Cats trailer... I read that last as 'Directed by Tobe Hooper'... now THAT would be something completely different!

And, I'm clearly overdue for new glasses. XD
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

'Logan' (from the X-men character Wolverine).  Apparently ailing and no longer healing in real time from wounds (as shown by scars and wounds and barely functioning).  He dies, Xavier dies.

I don't understand the timeline.  This is in the near future but another movie has them both alive in the future.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 05:24:37 AM
'Logan' (from the X-men character Wolverine).  Apparently ailing and no longer healing in real time from wounds (as shown by scars and wounds and barely functioning).  He dies, Xavier dies.

I don't understand the timeline.  This is in the near future but another movie has them both alive in the future.

Some think it's a non-canon alternative future. In the comics this movie took inspiration from, the series he was called old man Logan, in which he was manipulated by mystero into killed the X-Men, which screwed him up and forced him into exile, living out his days alone.

But yeah just look at the movie Logan as an alternative future like if things happened a certain way.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on July 20, 2019, 05:32:57 AM
Some think it's a non-canon alternative future. In the comics this movie took inspiration from, the series he was called old man Logan, in which he was manipulated by mystero into killed the X-Men, which screwed him up and forced him into exile, living out his days alone.

But yeah just look at the movie Logan as an alternative future like if things happened a certain way.

Thank you.  I read the  Marvel "comics" for 20 years but was way too poor for a decade to keep up and then it was all graphic novels.  I can well imagine an issue or 2 about Logan as an ailing guy..  The gaps drive me nuts sometimes.  BTW, when you say "mystero", you don't mean Spiderman's "Mysterio", right?

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 10:01:58 AM
Thank you.  I read the  Marvel "comics" for 20 years but was way too poor for a decade to keep up and then it was all graphic novels.  I can well imagine an issue or 2 about Logan as an ailing guy..  The gaps drive me nuts sometimes.  BTW, when you say "mystero", you don't mean Spiderman's "Mysterio", right?

mystero in the new spiderman movie is the mystero owned by marvel studios, in the x-men movie franchise it was detached from the marvel studio movies, so they didn't really state what logan did in the movie that caused him to go down the path he was on, but we can assume it was something as bad as the death of the x-men.
In the comic version of old man logan, yeah, it was That mystero, who joined up with a bunch of other villains to take on the x-men.

Blackleaf

Since Marvel characters typically live in the same universe (except in movies, where legal stuff limits them that way), there are a lot of times a villain associated with one hero interacts with another.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on July 20, 2019, 11:34:57 AM
mystero in the new spiderman movie is the mystero owned by marvel studios, in the x-men movie franchise it was detached from the marvel studio movies, so they didn't really state what logan did in the movie that caused him to go down the path he was on, but we can assume it was something as bad as the death of the x-men.
In the comic version of old man logan, yeah, it was That mystero, who joined up with a bunch of other villains to take on the x-men.

OK, so "Mysterio" the Marvel Universe movie special effects guy and Spiderman villain of the comic books, is the same as "Mystero" in the new movie?   Forgive me asking twice.  I'm still not sure.  And don't worry about spoilers, by the time I see it free on TV, I'll know all the details I bother to learn.

Aside from all that. I was rather moved by that girl Laura? with the Wolverine claws on hands AND feet who called him "Daddy" at the end and moved the Cross to an X.  I didn't see the whole movie all at once, so parts of it are missing.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on July 19, 2019, 08:44:38 PM
fact that its so ugly looking, that its another CGI nightmare, which today is the cheapest form of creativity
Gotta see that one.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 20, 2019, 12:36:31 PM
Gotta see that one.

In the sense your expecting to be entertained or in the sense your expecting it to be hilariously bad in the 'so bad it's good' category.

I only watch 'so bad it's good' movies if it's free online or bargin bin cheap dvd

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on July 20, 2019, 02:14:09 PM
In the sense your expecting to be entertained or in the sense your expecting it to be hilariously bad in the 'so bad it's good' category.

I only watch 'so bad it's good' movies if it's free online or bargin bin cheap dvd

There are some movies best watched for specific scenes.  'Aliens' after Ripley gets in the mech suit and when she leans over the edge in Aliens3 (for example).  I could mention several from LOTR but I won't.  There are some movies I only watch for the ending.

I'm not into "famous films" for the whole glory.

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 04:03:52 PM
There are some movies best watched for specific scenes.  'Aliens' after Ripley gets in the mech suit and when she leans over the edge in Aliens3 (for example).  I could mention several from LOTR but I won't.  There are some movies I only watch for the ending.

I'm not into "famous films" for the whole glory.

Yeah I saw you say, so do you only watch most films in bits and pieces? I admit there are times watching a movie where I feel like fast forwarding through areas of it, but sometimes I feel doing that can take away a lot of impact certain scenes have.

For example you mentioned lord of the rings, one of my favourite scenes in it was in return of the king where samwise and frodo are climbing mount Doom, and frodo has all but given up, having Sam tell him "come on Mr frodo, I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!".
This moment still makes me weep to this day, because of the context of the moment. Frodo and Sam had been through everything together, frodo held the weight of the one ring, until he was nearly consumed by it, but same time samwise held the weight of being there beside him through everything, moments we see all throughout the three movies leading up to that moment, his determination to help frodo to the end, and the impact is more felt because we saw all that through the three films.

Sometimes the sum of the whole gives greater meaning to the smaller moments

Baruch

That is why I love Youtube.  Snippets.  My next marriage will be to Youtube.  If a guy can marry his smartphone, I can marry Youtube.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on July 20, 2019, 04:35:01 PM
Yeah I saw you say, so do you only watch most films in bits and pieces? I admit there are times watching a movie where I feel like fast forwarding through areas of it, but sometimes I feel doing that can take away a lot of impact certain scenes have.

For example you mentioned lord of the rings, one of my favourite scenes in it was in return of the king where samwise and frodo are climbing mount Doom, and frodo has all but given up, having Sam tell him "come on Mr frodo, I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!".
This moment still makes me weep to this day, because of the context of the moment. Frodo and Sam had been through everything together, frodo held the weight of the one ring, until he was nearly consumed by it, but same time samwise held the weight of being there beside him through everything, moments we see all throughout the three movies leading up to that moment, his determination to help frodo to the end, and the impact is more felt because we saw all that through the three films.

Sometimes the sum of the whole gives greater meaning to the smaller moments

I sometimes watch movies I have seen before in bits.  But sometimes I am conflicted by opposing new ones vs sports and miss parts.  I'm not good at recording for later viewing.

Munch, the scene you described is a very powerful one and is figuratively dripping with meaning.  Sam can't be The Ring Bearer, but he can be the bearer of the bearer of The Ring.  I have always thought that Sam is the True Hero of the story.  Even Frodo failed at the end under the Power of The Ring...

Other story/movie moments of great meaning to me...

Eowyn and Merry killing the Nazgul Witch-Lord of Numenorea: He could not "be killed by Man" but neither Eowyn not Merry were.  IIRC Merry's sword "undid the undead sinews of his body", and Eowyn killed his then-mortal body in great pain.  It could be read otherwise, but it took both of them to do it in my mind.

I also am deeply moved by Galdriel's refusal of the offerred Ring at The Mirror.  The movie reflected the book well on that part.

And I was impressed by the movie Fall Of Sauron, The Ride Of The Rohirrim, and the Ents. 

I think it was the first movie I saw that was faithful to the originating book (OK, it was Glorfindal at the ford), but they did a really good job of it.  I read the books long before and I've read the Silmarillion and couple others.  The Creation story impresses even me.

I think the movie botched the aftermath though.  They could have given SOME time to the harm to The Shire and Saurman's death.  But that is a quibble from a purist.

Did you ever read 'Ender's Game'?

PS, I sometimes forget to "like" people as often as they deserve.  I try to make up for it later...

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 04:03:52 PM
There are some movies best watched for specific scenes.

Yeah, like this scene from My Name Is Nobody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNOn63T56dg

I love this, and it's a really good movie.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

The movie did miss out on some fan favorite moments in the books and thats understandable, I suppose they had to make the decisions on what to cut out to make the movies compact enough for a movie going audience, like the tom bombadil moments, kinda like they had to do with Stephen kings It and all extended details he had in that, like an indepth look at what It actually is and the thing with Maturin, pretty much cut from the movie.

as for ender's game, no I will not ever read that or any adaptations of it, Orson Scott Card can fuck right off.