News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

The idea that a comic book character is cardboard goes down as today's truth.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 18, 2019, 07:41:51 AM
The idea that a comic book character is cardboard goes down as today's truth.

Blackleaf

I just got back from Spider-Man: Far From Home. Spoiler-free version: I really liked it. The basic idea of the movie is Peter Parker is still a kid, and he wants to do normal kid stuff. However, his responsibilities as Spider-Man are getting in the way of that. Nick Fury pressures Peter into prioritizing his role as Spider-Man, while Mysterio encourages him to put heroics behind him for now, and to live life to the fullest.

It's been a long time since I've seen Mysterio in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon, and I've never read the comics. All I remember is his name and cool design. So while I'm sure the MCU version of him is different, I couldn't tell you how. He is an interesting character, however. They kinda did what I was expecting them to do with him, but they also kinda didn't. I'll say more in spoilers.

MJ was really surprising. In the first movie, they didn't even call her MJ until the end, and she felt nothing like the original character. Well, she's still nothing like the original MJ, but I no longer care. Honestly, MJ was not a very interesting character in the Raimi films. All she did was look pretty, get kidnapped, and make Tobey Maguire cry. In this movie, she's awkward, she's weird, and basically the opposite of everything MJ is supposed to be. But she's 100x more interesting, so I actually appreciate the lack of accuracy.

This should go without saying, but stay for the after credits scenes. The people in front of me left as soon as the credits started rolling, and I was tempted to ask them if this was their first Marvel movie. The second after credits scene doesn't seem very important, unless I missed something, but the first one... Oh my god. The people who walked out are going to be very confused when they see the next movie, because boy do they drop a bombshell in that scene.

[Spoiler=Spoiler Section]First, Mysterio. We all knew he was the bad guy. That much is obvious, even if you're unfamiliarwith the comics. I was expecting it to be revealed that the elemental monsters were his creation, created by magic to make him appear to be the hero when he defeats them. And I was kinda right, but it turns out Mysterio's magic was more the Ant Man card trick type of magic than the actual mystic Dr. Strange type magic. Was Mysterio's magic always fake, or was that an MCU change? I wasn't expecting that. I love how his backstory is complete bullshit, and they play it off as a joke. I love that kind of self-awareness in these films.

Now about the end credits scene. First Jay Jonah Jameson is finally in the MCU, and he's played by the same guy who played him in the Raimi films. I loved that cameo. But then, Spider-Man gets doxxed and blamed for the crimes of Mysterio. Goddamn, Marvel. How you gonna drop something that huge in an after credits scene? Everyone knows Peter Parker is Spider-Man now, AND he's a wanted criminal? Holy shit.[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Addendum]I almost forgot to mention the fact that the students who survived the snap are several years older than the ones who didn't was acknowledged in the movie. I like that they did that for world building, but it also highlights the astronomical odds for all of the important characters to have been snapped away together, so they wouldn't have this huge age gap between them. Peter, MJ, Flash...uhh, that kid Peter is friends with, all of them just happened to be snapped away together. What are the chances?[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

[spoiler]People talk like it's a surprise Spidey's classmates are around. Well duh! The ones that didn't get snapped are working for a living now. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]And why did EDITH do that? She let a teenager give control of her to a dubious character. [/spoiler]
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 15, 2019, 03:35:36 AM
And you don't? Lol

No. And you cutting out the rest of my reply just to respond to this proves my point. I keep my mind open. I'm willing to be wrong. I do not twist peoples' words to suit my agenda. If I think you're wrong, I go into carefully worded detail to show you why I think you are wrong.

At least, all of that is true until I give up on a person's ability to reason. That's when I stop caring and only respond to mock. I haven't given up on you yet.
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

In other news, I heard on the radio that the next 007 will be played by a black woman. The alt-Right are going to have a fit. Now, they did say that this 007 is not James Bond, or a genderbent, race-changed version of him. This 007 will be an entirely new character, taking over for James after he retires. It makes sense to me. In the previous films, it was clear that James' age was catching up with him and he was losing his touch, so it makes sense for him to retire. It was that or they do a hard reboot to make him young again.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 18, 2019, 06:45:45 PMIn this movie, she's awkward, she's weird, and basically the opposite of everything MJ is supposed to be. But she's 100x more interesting, so I actually appreciate the lack of accuracy.
I love her little quirk of rattling off dark but true factoids at inappropriate times.  The part where she says people used to be executed off the bridge that they're on by being drowned in water got a dark chuckle out of me.

Also, she's generally a pretty genuine person, and I really respect that.

QuoteThe second after credits scene doesn't seem very important, unless I missed something
It is VERY important.  Near as I can tell, it's setting up a Secret Wars and/or Secret Invasion movie.  That's a very, very, very big deal.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 18, 2019, 08:14:37 PMIt is VERY important.  Near as I can tell, it's setting up a Secret Wars and/or Secret Invasion movie.  That's a very, very, very big deal.

How so?
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 18, 2019, 07:59:10 PM
In other news, I heard on the radio that the next 007 will be played by a black woman. The alt-Right are going to have a fit. Now, they did say that this 007 is not James Bond, or a genderbent, race-changed version of him. This 007 will be an entirely new character, taking over for James after he retires. It makes sense to me. In the previous films, it was clear that James' age was catching up with him and he was losing his touch, so it makes sense for him to retire. It was that or they do a hard reboot to make him young again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iFVNiP8oWg

Rowan Atkinson has us covered.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 18, 2019, 08:32:12 PM
How so?
Secret Wars is basically Marvel's top crossover event.  And it featured your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man heavily.

Secret Invasion...well, let's just say that....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTdKKryO4uI

...HE LOVES YOU

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 18, 2019, 08:41:17 PM
Secret Wars is basically Marvel's top crossover event.  And it featured your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man heavily.

Secret Invasion...well, let's just say that....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTdKKryO4uI

...HE LOVES YOU

[spoiler]But the Skrulls were established to be the good guys in Captain Marvel. They're refugees in the universe, just trying to stay alive. Why would they invade Earth? Also, why would Nick Fury be hanging out with them while they're planning to invade? From the way the end credits scene went, it looked like Fury was using the Skrulls to either give him time for a vacation or give him time to work on...whatever it is he's doing in space.[/spoiler]
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 18, 2019, 09:22:13 PM
[spoiler]But the Skrulls were established to be the good guys in Captain Marvel. They're refugees in the universe, just trying to stay alive. Why would they invade Earth? Also, why would Nick Fury be hanging out with them while they're planning to invade? From the way the end credits scene went, it looked like Fury was using the Skrulls to either give him time for a vacation or give him time to work on...whatever it is he's doing in space.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Some are good.  Some are good in the comics, too.  That didn't stop an invading cult of Skrulls from causing all kinds of trouble on Earth.

Fury is with some Skrulls working on some kind of secret project.  You can bet it's somehow related to the Kree-Skrull war.  Rest assured that the aftermath of this conflict will find its way to Earth.[/spoiler]

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 18, 2019, 07:59:10 PM
The "00" agents have always been replaced when the current one pulls the pin. Like "Chief of Staff", a job, not a person.

I've read that there were three "00" agents when the books started, then it grew to nine, with at least one of them becoming a bad guy.
PZ Myers

Baruch

"with at least one of them becoming a bad guy" as in Cambridge Five.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 19, 2019, 07:05:25 AM
The "00" agents have always been replaced when the current one pulls the pin. Like "Chief of Staff", a job, not a person.

I've read that there were three "00" agents when the books started, then it grew to nine, with at least one of them becoming a bad guy.

I always forget that there were books these movies were based on. We're probably well beyond the point that the books leave off on, though. The style has changed so much since the beginning. We no longer have goofy villains like  the guy with the steel framed hat, who can decapitate you if he throws it at you, or the guy with metal teeth who could bite through anything, or the woman who could squeeze you to death with her legs (death by snoo snoo?). Just about every character, aside from maybe Moneypenny, has either died or retired already.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the same in the books, but I believe 006 was the one who turned evil in Goldeneye. It was the only time I could remember there ever being another 00 agent.
--Fulke Greville--