News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 13, 2019, 04:56:19 PMBoth Dark Phoenix and Captain Marvel were based on the same source material.
Fox should have done Phoenix first.  Starting with Dark Phoenix is like starting with Empire Strikes Back.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 13, 2019, 07:56:13 AM
That line startled me, because it was almost out of character for Thor.
He was protecting the family's reputation.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iNZsuRltmDQ

Summery, Scarlett Johansson said on twitter she can play whatever dam character she wants, which I believe is in response to her maybe playing a role that was originally an Asian person, and people on twitter blew a bitch fit as Johansson for saying this.

It's exposed the hypocrisy of these people, as the guy said, that it's perfectly okay to race change a character who's always been white into a non-white character because 'its just a fictional character them being white isn't tied to their character', however when a white person does the reverse suddenly its "YOU CAN'T DO THAT THE CHARACTERS ETHNICITY IS TIED TO THEIR CHARACTER!!'

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 14, 2019, 08:25:20 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iNZsuRltmDQ

Summery, Scarlett Johansson said on twitter she can play whatever dam character she wants, which I believe is in response to her maybe playing a role that was originally an Asian person, and people on twitter blew a bitch fit as Johansson for saying this.

It's exposed the hypocrisy of these people, as the guy said, that it's perfectly okay to race change a character who's always been white into a non-white character because 'its just a fictional character them being white isn't tied to their character', however when a white person does the reverse suddenly its "YOU CAN'T DO THAT THE CHARACTERS ETHNICITY IS TIED TO THEIR CHARACTER!!'

Again, white washing is actually a thing, and it has been historically prevalent in movies and television since the beginning. Originally, black actors couldn't even get roles unless they were playing servants, because heaven forbid a black person be shown in a position of equality or power. Now today, white actors such as Scarlett Johansson continue to dominate cinemas, taking roles which should go to minorities. So yes, people like you bitching about "brownwashing" is absolutely pathetic. And seeing as you seem perfectly fine with Scarlett Johansson playing a Japanese character, but are not fine with a black woman portraying Ariel, this is yet another case of the pot calling the kettle black.

I personally approach the changing of characters' races on a case-by-case basis. In Marvel and DC stories, if you went by original designs, you'd think the world were a Nazi paradise where nearly everyone was a white, blue-eyed man. To fix this over the years, some characters were changed, while some new characters were made. Black Panther, for example, was designed specifically to give black men representation in the Marvel universe. Lex Luthor was also made black in the animated Superman series. While I'm sure a few racist assholes were offended by both examples, the characters were justified. There are some cases, however, when changes feel lazy or disingenuous, like they're just trying to pander. Even in these cases, I consider them mild annoyances at worst. Changing a minority class character into a white character is an entirely different thing, and the reasons why should be perfectly obvious.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

I will say, though, that I think the motivations for Hollywood whitewashing have changed. While whitewashing was originally done to underplay the contributions of minorities, I think the tradition continues today because the people on top want to make money. They know that having a big movie star increases their chances of making a profit, but most movie stars are white. So it has become a self-sustaining loop, like trying to get a job that requires experience in that job.

"Brownwashing" is such a laughably ridiculous concept. Yes, on the barebones surface level, they are similar in the sense that a change is being made. If we lived in the bizarre alternate reality Munch comes from, where straight white men are the most oppressed group in the world, then I would agree that brownwashing is a problem. But we don't, so it isn't.

I should also admit that I am not enraged when I see whitewashing happen. I don't think that movies or television are the most important things in the world. But I also recognize that as a straight, white man, I have no shortage of representation in entertainment.
--Fulke Greville--

Sal1981

Blackleaf

--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 14, 2019, 10:55:34 PM
"It's OK when we do it."

"Are you a black ant or a red ant?" ... said by one ant to another, after the demise of humanity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 14, 2019, 08:47:56 PMI personally approach the changing of characters' races on a case-by-case basis.
Ding ding ding.  We have a winner.

It's complicated (but not overly so) - consider the character (how integral is race to the character?), consider the setting (would a Sudanese actor make sense in Dorn?), consider the actor (can Samuel L. Jackson pull of a convincing Nick Fury?).  They won't all be winners, but it's way better than either the SJW or regressive SIW approaches.

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 14, 2019, 10:59:27 PM
Yes. That's totally what I said.

Well you clearly missed the point entirely so yeah. Your case by case basis isn't applicable to those who throw a bitch fit because a white actor is playing the role for a once non-white character

Shiranu

Not a movie, but I just started watching the German series, "Dark", and my god is it intense so far. Two episodes in and I just want to binge watch more to figure out what the hell is going on.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 15, 2019, 01:34:17 AM
Well you clearly missed the point entirely so yeah. Your case by case basis isn't applicable to those who throw a bitch fit because a white actor is playing the role for a once non-white character

I'm not the one who missed the point. Talking with you on this topic is like trying to debate a Christian on theology. You don't make an attempt to communicate, but only look for opportunities to tell me why you think I'm wrong.

Your attempt at a point was, "If it's okay to change a white character black, how come we can't make a Japanese character white?" And as I explained, it's because white characters already dominate media. We don't need any more. And it's because of the motivation behind the changes. Whitewashing diminishes representation, while "brownwashing" increases it.

And I do find it funny when you complain about the new Ariel being black, and then think you can criticize others for being upset at Scarlett Johansson playing a Japanese character. Are you not self aware enough to see that you're highlighting your own hypocrisy? Just because you call it first doesn't absolve you.

"It's OKAY when we do it," is a ridiculous response, and only shows they didn't understand a word I said, nor did they make an attempt in trying. We never did "do it." White male characters still comprise an unrealistic majority of characters in media, and will likely continue to do so for quite a while longer.
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 15, 2019, 03:27:02 AM
I'm not the one who missed the point. Talking with you on this topic is like trying to debate a Christian on theology. You don't make an attempt to communicate, but only look for opportunities to tell me why you think I'm wrong.

And you don't? Lol

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on July 15, 2019, 03:35:36 AM
And you don't? Lol

12.3% of Americans are Black.  So is it reparations of 87.7% of current/future roles should go to Blacks?

About 20% of the world is White.  So if we go by world population, then is it reparations for 80% of current/future roles should go to non-Whites?

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.