Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 08, 2019, 05:55:42 AM
Did I quote you?

No, but you generally don't quote anyone when you have a borderline Pavlovian urge to come in here and let us know when there is a Marvel movie discussion happening just how stupid you find comic book movies.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on July 08, 2019, 07:43:41 AM
No, but you generally don't quote anyone when you have a borderline Pavlovian urge to come in here and let us know when there is a Marvel movie discussion happening just how stupid you find comic book movies.
LOL. That butt must hurt 3000.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on July 06, 2019, 06:15:42 PM
Baruch is a theologist and strong historical study, he's got info dating back several thousand years.

That's not historical study. That's how Jewish theologists in ancient world thought they 'read the future events' through Torah. :) Seriously, that's what he is trying to do. e: I mean the 'method'.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 08, 2019, 03:32:18 PM
That's not historical study. That's how Jewish theologists in ancient world thought they 'read the future events' through Torah. :) Seriously, that's what he is trying to do. e: I mean the 'method'.

History rhymes.  In Hebrew only ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I started talking movies with a coworker and we actually have a shared love of scifi/action movies.

She also liked Blair Witch 2, which blew me away.

Me:  "Critics hated that movie.  I think it was secretly brilliant, a cautionary tale on popular media and how fan obsession can affect people in negative-"

Her: "I also like Twilight and the Fast and the Furious movies."

Me: 

Gawdzilla Sama

Finally saw "How Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World". Perfect capper for the trilogy.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Just found out an interesting bit of trivia about the original Matrix film. The directors, then known as the Wachowski Brothers, later came out as transgender. Similarly, the character Switch was originally going to have a different gender in the Matrix, contrasting the gender they identified with with their biological sex. For one reason or another, however, this character trait was scrapped, and she just became the character who wears white. My guess is because it was the 90s, having a transgender character was considered too risky, so the Wachowskis were pressured to change the character.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Jupiter Offending wasn't their best work.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 11, 2019, 01:21:40 PM
Just found out an interesting bit of trivia about the original Matrix film. The directors, then known as the Wachowski Brothers, later came out as transgender. Similarly, the character Switch was originally going to have a different gender in the Matrix, contrasting the gender they identified with with their biological sex. For one reason or another, however, this character trait was scrapped, and she just became the character who wears white. My guess is because it was the 90s, having a transgender character was considered too risky, so the Wachowskis were pressured to change the character.

I want to say "Movies With Mikey" did an episode on the deeper meanings in the Matrix, and it's amazing.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7zAymon84Q&t=345s

summery, its a 'pretty' but shallow cash grab with none of the personality of the original.

I love stuckmanns reviews, he's always given a down to earth analysis of the movies he watches.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 11, 2019, 08:00:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7zAymon84Q&t=345s

summery, its a 'pretty' but shallow cash grab with none of the personality of the original.

I love stuckmanns reviews, he's always given a down to earth analysis of the movies he watches.

I saw that earlier (the review, not the movie). It sounds like it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting. It's funny. A few years ago, I would have loved a movie like this, but now I'm tired of Disney remaking every single classic animated film in their library. They all do pretty much the same thing. Copy/paste the script and the music, make a few weird, random changes, and CGI basically everything. The Lion King was an especially weird choice when you think about it. Sure, the animals and environments look photorealistic, and that is very impressive, but the characters lack the facial expressions that were possible in the animated version. Real lions don't have expressive faces like humans do, so these photorealistic characters just don't leave as much of an impact in the movie's emotional moments.
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on July 11, 2019, 07:18:05 PM
I want to say "Movies With Mikey" did an episode on the deeper meanings in the Matrix, and it's amazing.

I got this from a video from New Rockstars, but I might check Mikey out. It's kinda overwhelming how much symbolism is hidden in the movie. Bible references everywhere.
--Fulke Greville--