News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on July 07, 2019, 02:49:35 PM
how about, don't hire toxic actors who can't take criticism?

Honest question;

What did she say that makes you think she is a toxic actor, and where did she say or indicate she couldn't take criticism?

Edit: Actually, I do see where she says she is not great with criticism... but that's why she also tries to live a private life. I don't think being a shy and reserved person is a character flaw though and certainly not something to hate someone over.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 07, 2019, 02:55:17 PM
Honest question;

What did she say that makes you think she is a toxic actor, and where did she say or indicate she couldn't take criticism?

https://pimediaonline.co.uk/arts-culture/opinion-by-rejecting-criticism-brie-larson-makes-an-enemy-of-everything-we-should-value/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=PYXTgh8_R6c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qyw8j9dHww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPtkdJ-CmuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-NpbgzGZNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfNffP4aZo0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHhexi3FS28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ3jMs0lVXY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ka0Sx9U-78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbhLr3oXnsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIDEfW7tzws

I mean which part do you want to go over, fact that she hated on people based on their skin color, and when called about it got defensive? Or fact that she claims she did her own stunts and didn't credit the actual stunt women? How about when her own cast members sarcastically rip into her and she gets defensive of that, ever wonder why that was?

I know this whole brie larson thing insulting her is like calling out a christian about facing reality about the bible, but I'd have thought time would have given you some perspective.

QuoteEdit: Actually, I do see where she says she is not great with criticism... but that's why she also tries to live a private life. I don't think being a shy and reserved person is a character flaw though and certainly not something to hate someone over.

shy and reserved, thats what your getting from all this? lol.

I mean, when an entitled individual in some position of noteriaty acts this way, let's say when trump does it, aren't you the first to call them out on it?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

All those superheroes out there saving the fictional world, and yet the real world isn't being saved by anyone. Superheroes stopping small-time criminals from stealing a bit of cash from a market, and yet the real criminals steal $billions from those just trying to make an honest living.

Superhero movies don't do much for me, but they can be entertaining, I guess.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

I actually spent a good thirty minutes going point by point refuting the first video and watched all of the next two, making sure I found each section and properly quoted it and made sure I wasn't misrepresenting what he was saying... but after skimming through all 82.62 minutes of video you sent me... I'm sorry, I am not doing that for over an hour and a third worth of footage.

I asked for what she said that makes you think she is a toxic actress, not what other people said that make you think she is a toxic actress.

In those 82.64 minutes of video you posted, only 3 minutes, 52 seconds actually were remarks by her, and 22 seconds of that were repeated. Four of those videos (about 32 minutes and 40-some seconds) didn't directly quote or show or at all. So in 82.64 minutes worth of video you shared, only 3 minutes and 30 seconds actually were things she said.

If you want it broken down by video and what she said/was quoted as saying...

[spoiler]Video 1 - 2:09 - 2:26 - "Proof" that Beedle hates her, even though he is multiple times stated he finds people who think that, in his words, "hilarious kids" and "People (that) need to take a break from being detectives, calm down and just enjoy the movie."

3:18 - 3:33 - She realises she makes mistakes and she wants to learn from them, and that she realises she has a platform to be a positive role model in the world and feels she has a responsibility to use it.

6:52 - 7:03 - She is looking forward to seeing the Avengers in theatres, because she hasn't been shown the final cut yet and is really excited to see how it turned out.

Video 2 - 1:00 - 2:50 - Statistically, the overwhelmingly majority of movie critics are white males, which does not remotely accurately represent the racial and sexual makeup of the country. She believes it matters because ultimately... movie reviews do matter, it effects the audience turn out to those films. What might be profound, uplifting, inspiring, relatable to one person might be dull and boring to another, and that deciding factor is very often based on the persons' gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.

Video 3 - N/A, no direct quotes or clips of Larson

Video 4 - N/A, no direct quotes or clips of Larson

Video 5 - 0:50 - 1:19   - It is important for movie reviewers to be able to relate to a film, hence the necessity of diverse film critic body. For example, a movie made as a love letter to gay black women and their experiences would be most impactful to a gay black woman who can personally relate to it's message. You don't "need" a straight white man's opinion on it because that's not who it is for. That's not to say he has no place to review it, or he shouldn't enjoy it or dislike it for the criteria he has for it, just that his opinion is not the one that really matters. The problem is that, due to the statistics she has pointed out, his is the only opinion that ever gets presented.

3:20 - 3:40 - "I don't know what the headlines are (people who are accusing her of hating white men, men, whatever), who's saying what, what I said (that triggered them), all I know is that I've said we need to bring more seats to the table. No one is having their seat taken away, there aren't less seats at the table, there are just more at the table."

Video 6 - 1:05 - 1:16 - Repeat of 3:18 - 3:33 from Video 1.

5:33 - 6:01 - Her literally just goofing around and having fun with Chris Hemsworth, which refutes Video 1.

Video 7 - 3:55 - 4:06 - Repeat of 0:50 - 1:19 from video 5. (Sidenote: the speaker conveniently leaves out the very next paragraph, in his own shot, where she states it doesn't have anything to do with kicking old white men from the table but rather allowing more minorities to join them at it)

Video 8, - N/A no quotes or clips of Larson.

Video 9 - N/A, no quotes or clips of Larson.[/spoiler]

When you break it down only 2:29 (and that's being generous) of time in the videos is actually dedicated to her saying anything that can be construed as toxic or "SJW", and all she says in that time is that the overwhelmingly majority of movie critics are white and/or men (objectively true), which means that movies that are intended for audiences other than those criteria are often times not reviewed on any significant level by professional critics who they are meant to relate to (objectively true).

This creates a problem where films may receive bad reviews (I would say often justifiably) because the critic is viewing it through a certain lens and it fails through it... but the movie was never intended to be viewed through that lens and may be an outstanding film to someone who sees it through a different perspective (logically true).

All she is saying is that it would be great to have more lenses to view the world, or at least film, through... and that doesn't require taking away the chairs from the white man or gouging their eyes out so they cant see anymore, it just means there need to be more minorities given a seat at at the table.

You posted nearly 80 minutes of people telling me they hate her, several of the videos being full of personal attacks, not just because of her statements but some because of how she looks or what they think she "really" is thinking,  against a person they have never met nor know nothing about, with only about 3 minutes of it being her actual remarks.

If that isn't tribalism, I don't know what is.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Me: Hollywood is so uncreative, they just pump out sequels and reboots.

Also me:  they really should make a History of the World Part 2.

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 07, 2019, 06:05:59 PM

I asked for what she said that makes you think she is a toxic actress, not what other people said that make you think she is a toxic actress.

So your saying you've never gotten an opinion on anyone else as why you dislike someone, based on other peoples thoughts and information they've presented?

Sorry but if people didn't form opinion on things based on what others say, the structure of information itself would be meaningless.

I just so happened to share sources from multiple peoples thoughts, opinions, facts and feelings on what you asked, but even that is never enough.

Its like presenting a flat earther with volumes of scientific information and documentation, but them still not wanting to take it in. You asked what I disliked about her, why I thought she said things that's been documented her saying it, but you don't really care why I dislike her or anyone else, your held on your beliefs and thats all that matters.

Been down this road enough times by now.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 07, 2019, 06:13:18 PM
Me: Hollywood is so uncreative, they just pump out sequels and reboots.

Also me:  they really should make a History of the World Part 2.

It is Very Good to be the King!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on July 07, 2019, 02:49:35 PM
how about, don't hire toxic actors who can't take criticism?

How about toxic politicians like AOC?  I like both AOC and Brie, for perfectly sexist reasons.  Prove me wrong.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuoteSo your saying you've never gotten an opinion on anyone else as why you dislike someone, based on other peoples thoughts and information they've presented?

I have, and I try not to do it anymore.

QuoteSorry but if people didn't form opinion on things based on what others say, the structure of information itself would be meaningless.

Sure, but when what other people say is just, "I hate them, I hate them, personal attack, one relevant piece of information, personal attack, personal attack, I hate them." and never actually backs up why they hate them, then would you not agree there are better "others" to get opinions from?

QuoteIt is s like presenting a flat earther with volumes of scientific information and documentation, but them still not wanting to take it in. You asked what I disliked about her, why I thought she said things that's been documented her saying it, but you don't really care why I dislike her or anyone else, your held on your beliefs and thats all that matters.

You just posted 82 minutes of video with only 2 minutes and 29 seconds of it actually containing information I asked for when my exact quote was, "What did she say that makes you think she is a toxic actor?"

What did SHE say. If it's so clearly documented, why not just share what she said? Why do I need to listen to 82 minutes of people telling me how much they hate her to form my own opinion about what she said?

In a round about way, you did answer my question; I do care why you hate her, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to actually be for any rational reason.

You posted 82 minutes worth of people telling me why I should hate someone, when they only present about 3 minutes of what she actually said that I'm suppose to hate. That is some real sketchy shit.

All I am asking is what did she say, specifically, that you believe to be toxic?

Gawdzilla Sama

Comic book movies make a furor? LOL
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Neither of us have said a thing about the movie.

Blackleaf

The alt-Right are very quick to jump on the bandwagon. They criticize, they mischaracterize, they make shit up, rarely if ever actually addressing the content of the person's actual words, until the thing they're angry about is just a figment of their own imaginations. It's funny how the people they dog pile on are almost always minorities. Total mystery that one.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

It's very reminiscent of the SJW outrage machine, where one person has a public hissy fit, it spreads to their subs, they throw hissy fits, and then it kinda snowballs from there.  Though a noticeable difference here is that the target's main fault (other than accidents of birth) seems to be making political statements critical of the Right (James Gunn and Brie Larson come readily to mind).  It's almost as if they were looking for a reason, seized on whatever they could find and then made up the rest wholecloth in order to self-justify their prexisting animosity.  And the cherry on top is making this toxic behavior seem reasonable and noble, when it's really just petty and vindictive.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 07, 2019, 11:38:16 PM
The alt-Right are very quick to jump on the bandwagon. They criticize, they mischaracterize, they make shit up, rarely if ever actually addressing the content of the person's actual words, until the thing they're angry about is just a figment of their own imaginations. It's funny how the people they dog pile on are almost always minorities. Total mystery that one.

I am perfectly happy if they would criticize hetero White males too.  Equal opportunity hate and revolution, comrade.

I would be happy if the people in the Arts wouldn't comment outside of Arts.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers