Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 06, 2019, 03:20:31 PM
LOL, you are fucking stupid.

Great arguement there my dear, really adds to the debate.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on July 06, 2019, 04:21:05 PM
Great arguement there my dear, really adds to the debate.

Yes, Munch, actually it does. Especially, for people who have a memory goes longer beyond than just three decades. (I mean, think about aitm and Baruch. :pp)
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 06, 2019, 05:31:44 PM
Yes, Munch, actually it does. Especially, for people who have a memory goes longer beyond than just three decades. (I mean, think about aitm and Baruch. :pp)

Baruch is a theologist and strong historical study, he's got info dating back several thousand years. Its how one discovers things beyond their lifespan.
Also lifetime fan of Judy Garland here despite her having died well before I was even born.

Sal1981

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie (2004) - 8/10

Pretty entertaining.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 06, 2019, 08:27:04 AM
Or with racism.

Of course.  But the Left can go around all anti-Fa with their street legal flamethrowers going all auto-da-fe on anyone who is racist or who tolerates them ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 06, 2019, 04:11:53 PM
So basically, instead of new characters being invented, your okay with hand me down roles and black washing white characters?

Don't you think it be better having new characters of none white origin, instead of race changing?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JRmnbtSs1fw

Here's a guy who knows what he's talking about.

Were you upset when Nick Fury was played by Samuel L. Jackson? Or is it just when it's a main character that it matters? I really don't care what characters have their race changed. The bigger sin here is that Disney is still making so much money off of these stupid remakes.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 06, 2019, 08:52:43 PM
Were you upset when Nick Fury was played by Samuel L. Jackson? Or is it just when it's a main character that it matters? I really don't care what characters have their race changed. The bigger sin here is that Disney is still making so much money off of these stupid remakes.

There's a reason why the nick fury comparison thing doesn't work there. Nick fury was a white guy for decades, and still is in the main marvel comics timeline. Black nick fury however was a nick fury from the parallel timeline of the ultimate marvel series. Its a different character just having the same name from an alternative reality. And that is the nick fury they based him on for the MCU, which as there was no other version of him in the MCU it worked.

What matters to me when adaptions are being made of pre established characters is keeping the integrity of the characters held for good adaptation. Race, gender, ethnicity, if these have been part of the character for years then swapping them out for an adaptation is losing part of the character.

If you say something like black spiderman, I straight away think of mile morales, who is his own character, not a race swapped version of peter parker, though better term is morales spiderman.

Seriously, race/gender swapping characters who have been a certain race or gender for years is cheap and lazy all for the sake of pandering, the only time it works is if say the characters persona is more of an interchangeable title, like the green lantern corp who are solders so anyone can be a green lantern, or doctor who, who change change into any new humanoid race or gender.

My fav green lantern was John Stewart from the justice league unlimited series. I also know the green lantern in the main DC comics series is hal Jordan, a white guy, but it doesn't bother me they choose john Stewart as the green lantern for this series because he's his own character, and the title is given to loads of other characters

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fevwy0PDKIM

Shiranu

QuoteBlack nick fury however was a nick fury from the parallel timeline of the ultimate marvel series.

And this is a Little Mermaid from a parallel timeline of the Disney cosmos.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 07, 2019, 08:19:11 AM
And this is a Little Mermaid from a parallel timeline of the Disney cosmos.

No it's a re-release of a classic movie in live action.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on July 07, 2019, 08:59:14 AM
No it's a re-release of a classic movie in live action.

Oooooor live action is just a different dimension. That's why it looks completely different; different laws of physics and what not.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Also, it's not like the Little Mermaid wasn't already "Brown-washed", even if they gave her white skin.

The Little Mermaid (as presented by Disney) is predominately a Caribbean and Mediterranean tale, not Baltic (correction; Norse, being on the North Sea.) It's not like people of African descent are rare in the Caribbeans. I would argue her being African makes more sense given the setting... but, given the fact she was aristocracy, being white also makes sense.

Now, given the Atlantian upbringing, the most logical background for her would be for her to look like me; dark hair, dark eyes, olive complexion. Poseidon (sorry, King Triton) and his wife Athena are undeniably clearly Mediterranean influences, particularly Greek influenced. The same can be said of the architecture and imagery of Atlantica (which funny enough was a kingdom in Saharan Africa according to Herodotus).

If you are upset about this, you should be upset that they "Greco/Italian-washed" the Danish little mermaid as well. The Danes have a very long, proud tradition of mythology and a very separate ethnic background from my people and it was completely "brown-washed". I would argue that's far worse than just changing her skin color; they didn't just destroy her identity, they destroyed her entire culture.

Baruch

According to research, where there is now a great salt flat, in S Tunisia, it was once an inland sea, probably very good for catching Med fish.  That may be the location that Herodotus heard about second hand.  Given the stone age Berber culture prior to 1000 BCE … I doubt it had much sophistication.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on July 07, 2019, 09:39:23 AM
According to research, where there is now a great salt flat, in S Tunisia, it was once an inland sea, probably very good for catching Med fish.  That may be the location that Herodotus heard about second hand.  Given the stone age Berber culture prior to 1000 BCE … I doubt it had much sophistication.

Possibly, but given that Herodotus believed the Atlantians existed around 10,000 years prior to his life in the early 400s B.C. (though it likely was heavily exaggerated by the Egyptians), that still could put Atlantis around 3,000-11,000 B.C. ...more than long enough for their civilization to completely collapse and crumble to dust and the remaining people to revert to a more primitive lifestyle.

Add in climate change or cataclysmic events, and it's very easy for a civilization of say Hellenistic Greek or Roman Empire complexity to be reverted back to the Stone Age.

Shiranu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST7IeVJYCKg

Mostly regarding Brie's problematic remarks, but a lot of it hits the nail on the head about the outrage culture, on both sides, surrounding film lately as well as what we can do to avoid it in the future.

Munch

how about, don't hire toxic actors who can't take criticism?