News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on June 03, 2019, 08:10:04 PM
I have seen the original original.  It's terrific.  So much better than the Burr-invaded version.
Hiroshima allegory, very heart-felt.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

While never caring much for "monster movies", I've always understood the allegories for Godzilla. Some concepts are very nation-specific.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

I dig the allegory, but I remember who started that war.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

I have learned so much from this place. Never knew what a brony was, or a furry, knew one person that was unusually fascinated with Stewie even quote him regularly....a real nut job. And I guess I should have realized that some find enjoyment in knowing all about a movie franchise...but zilla? I have seen maybe 2 zilla's and never thought much about it ceptin, meh. I have never cared enough to look for allegories or hidden meanings in movies.....especially meh ones....(insert Freud quote here)......

you should know the one.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

I didn't spend much time on the franchise until I retired and Amazon found movies for me.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 04, 2019, 05:15:15 PM
I didn't spend much time on the franchise until I retired and Amazon found movies for me.

We all need hobbies ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3fyLzYSwvI

summery, marvel is trying to push for more diversity in future movies. The guy hosting this video makes it clear he isn't against more diverse characters, its just the way social justice warriors want 'inclusivity' is criney and forced, rather then just writing good characters and making whatever diversity they fit into feel natural.

It makes me think how in the 90s, gay characters had to be 'safe', they had to be stereotypes or flamboyantly gay, like jack from will and grace. That isn't dissimilar to whats being forced in current marvel comics, bad writers forcing 'diverse' characters for no other reason but for the sake of them 'diverse', you know, instead of being well written characters. Its also the fact these 'writers' have a hate on for anyone they consider 'part of the problem', being white, hetero men, which makes anything they write feel trashy and unsophisticated.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Draconic Aiur

Saw Endgame.

Endgame=disappointment

@Munch [spoiler]and yet there was very little Ms. Marvel action in Endgame[/spoiler]

Munch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on June 07, 2019, 05:54:29 PM
Saw Endgame.

Endgame=disappointment

@Munch [spoiler]and yet there was very little Ms. Marvel action in Endgame[/spoiler]

yes, and that made it tolerable
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

The Matrix, A.K.A. the world's most famous film about transgenderism and an infinite other amount of philosophical and identity issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyTkC554CP4
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Why didn't the machines use cows for power. Never going to be a revolution if they used cows.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 11, 2019, 04:59:34 AM
Why didn't the machines use cows for power. Never going to be a revolution if they used cows.

There are two answers for that...

1. In the original script it is stated they are using all the human brains for processing power rather than their bodies for energy. Fox however thought that was too complex of theory, and told the Wachowski's to change it because, you know, studio's know more about art than the actual directors. So from that standpoint, it's an illogical situation forced upon the movie by a studio rather than an intentional choice and we should substitute human batteries for human processors in our own heads.

2. All that was happening within the Matrix. The machines were created specifically with the idea of keeping human's happy within the Matrix by their creators. However the Architect himself said that a, "too perfect" Matrix lead to a suspension of belief and people realizing they were in a simulation, so he fine-tuned the program to be just gritty enough for everyone to believe it was real. However you still had the 1% or so who realised it was a simulation and wanted out, so to take care of them they were falsely given a belief that they were escaping the program and fighting for their freedom...when infact they were just in another layer of the Matrix. This also explains how the Matrix can have such extreme effects on the "real" body of someone who has escaped it and gone back in, as well as how Neo can have special powers in the "real" world or Agent Smith can occupy a body outside of the Matrix.

3. Finally, assuming neither of the above are true and it was meant to be human batteries; it's just alot easier to make a philosophical statement with humans than it is with cows.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Well, part of the reason the machines did that to the humans was because the humans were seen as a threat. By trapping the humans in the Matrix, they've got the humans under control.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on June 11, 2019, 08:15:19 AM
There are two answers for that...

1. In the original script it is stated they are using all the human brains for processing power rather than their bodies for energy. Fox however thought that was too complex of theory, and told the Wachowski's to change it because, you know, studio's know more about art than the actual directors. So from that standpoint, it's an illogical situation forced upon the movie by a studio rather than an intentional choice and we should substitute human batteries for human processors in our own heads.

2. All that was happening within the Matrix. The machines were created specifically with the idea of keeping human's happy within the Matrix by their creators. However the Architect himself said that a, "too perfect" Matrix lead to a suspension of belief and people realizing they were in a simulation, so he fine-tuned the program to be just gritty enough for everyone to believe it was real. However you still had the 1% or so who realised it was a simulation and wanted out, so to take care of them they were falsely given a belief that they were escaping the program and fighting for their freedom...when infact they were just in another layer of the Matrix. This also explains how the Matrix can have such extreme effects on the "real" body of someone who has escaped it and gone back in, as well as how Neo can have special powers in the "real" world or Agent Smith can occupy a body outside of the Matrix.

3. Finally, assuming neither of the above are true and it was meant to be human batteries; it's just alot easier to make a philosophical statement with humans than it is with cows.
I don't see #2 as being at all relevant.

#3 works just fine.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

The entire Matrix series takes place in the Matrix.  Just throwing that out there.