News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on May 05, 2019, 01:26:38 PM
LOTR series we're epic f-ing masterpieces of film and story telling. Cinematography just stunning.
I do that once a year. I have the extended versions, with the extra disks. It takes an entire day to do one of the movies with the extras.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sal1981

There's still Galactus somewhere in the MCU. They can make another 22 movies about that, or something.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 05, 2019, 02:10:17 PM
There's still Galactus somewhere in the MCU. They can make another 22 movies about that, or something.
WatchMoJo lists the available villains on a Youtube.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on May 05, 2019, 01:26:38 PM
LOTR series we're epic f-ing masterpieces of film and story telling. Cinematography just stunning.

Yep. And it changed movie making forever. But Tolkien can create of course,lol. The material is amazing.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 05, 2019, 02:10:17 PM
There's Annihilation, Secret War, Operation Galactic Storm, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, all the X-Men stories, Maximum Carnage, the Inhumans, Realm of Kings, Warlock, Nova, and Darkhawk.  And that's just for starters.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 05, 2019, 05:48:36 PM
There's Annihilation, Secret War, Operation Galactic Storm, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, all the X-Men stories, Maximum Carnage, the Inhumans, Realm of Kings, Warlock, Nova, and Darkhawk.  And that's just for starters.

many of those had the core avengers in them, like cap, ironman and thor, like secret war, galactic storm, many of the x-men crossovers.

And it won't be paying any kind of homage to those classic stories if you swap out other characters in those roles, or people taking on the mantle of said other characters.

they simply shouldn't keep making more and more movies within the shared universe, they captured lightning in a bottle once, but milking this for all its worth will just make it worse down the line. They should wrap up things with the characters in a couple more years and let the MCU retire.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

Quote from: Munch on May 05, 2019, 07:07:47 PM
they captured lightning in a bottle once, but milking this for all its worth will just make it worse down the line.

PT Barnum.......
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 05, 2019, 07:07:47 PM
many of those had the core avengers in them, like cap, ironman and thor
If you think they're not somehow returning, I have 60+ years of marvel characters returning from the death to show you.  And yeah, they're probably going to have to recast, but they absolutely are returning sometime in the future.

Quotethey simply shouldn't keep making more and more movies within the shared universe
That's probably the single most incorrect thing I've heard here.

Quotethey captured lightning in a bottle once, but milking this for all its worth will just make it worse down the line.
That's what people said after Avengers 1.

QuoteThey should wrap up things with the characters in a couple more years and let the MCU retire.
$2 billion box office --> time to throw in the towel?

Uhh...no.  That's not in the cards.  That's not even in the deck.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 05, 2019, 10:04:24 PM
If you think they're not somehow returning, I have 60+ years of marvel characters returning from the death to show you.  And yeah, they're probably going to have to recast, but they absolutely are returning sometime in the future.

I really hope that doesn't happen. Iron Man and Captain America's arcs are complete. Bringing them back would just feel really cheap. I'd rather they continue to build on the universe with new characters. At some point, they might reboot the series, go a different route and cover different stories with the old characters. But at that point, the older fans who were invested in the MCU might not care any more.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

I'm talking about bringing them back a decade or two from now, not right away.  (expect cameos though)

Until then, they of course will continue to develop existing and new characters - black panther, spider-man, captain marvel, etc.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 05, 2019, 05:48:36 PM
I've seen Stan Lee credited with ~32,000 comic book plots. The well is deep.
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 05, 2019, 10:04:24 PM

Thing is, these are movies, not comics. It's a very different beast.
That's probably the single most incorrect thing I've heard here.

Actually there's no right or wrong about what I said, it's an opinion on personal taste.

QuoteThat's what people said after Avengers 1.

Fair point, however while back then they were starting out, with end game they very clearly built this cinematic universe up to reach this point, with serious conclusions to fav main characters, making it a finale for them.

Quote$2 billion box office --> time to throw in the towel?

Uhh...no.  That's not in the cards.  That's not even in the deck.

Perhaps not, but if your expecting the continued MCU to have the same grand impact as this build up did, I think your hoping for to much.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 06, 2019, 05:56:20 AM
Actually there's no right or wrong about what I said
The wrong part was saying that Marvel/Disney should stop making mcu movies immediately after record-breaking success making mcu movies.  Read the room and/or the writing on the wall.

QuotePerhaps not, but if your expecting the continued MCU to have the same grand impact as this build up did, I think your hoping for to much.
Goalpost shift, much?  (This seems to be a frequent issue)

I could've sworn my argument was that the mcu should continue (the opposite of your argument that the mcu should be retired), I wasn't aware that my actual argument was that the new movies would top the old ones.  (Since the new movies are almost completely unknown at this point, how could I possibly know this?)  But you seem to know my thoughts better than me, so you tell me.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 06, 2019, 10:27:13 AM
The wrong part was saying that Marvel/Disney should stop making mcu movies immediately after record-breaking success making mcu movies.  Read the room and/or the writing on the wall.
Goalpost shift, much?  (This seems to be a frequent issue)

I never said they would stop making them, I meant they won't capture lightning in a bottle again like they have with infinity war/endgame.

QuoteI could've sworn my argument was that the mcu should continue (the opposite of your argument that the mcu should be retired), I wasn't aware that my actual argument was that the new movies would top the old ones.  (Since the new movies are almost completely unknown at this point, how could I possibly know this?)  But you seem to know my thoughts better than me, so you tell me.

you overthinking this to much. I simply make a point, I think they should die down the collective mcu universe now, and not milk it like a cash cow else run the risk of things getting stale. Also they simply won't have the level of grandiose going forward like they have with infinity war/endgame.