News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 02, 2019, 08:22:17 PM
Saw Endgame today, complete spoilers below on my rundown of the movie.

[spoiler]This movie, end game, just break that down, and shows just how whatever harp strings were made for thanos in infinity war, it was all bullshit, because he really was just an insane tyrant no true care for ‘saving half the universe’ or ‘because its fair’, in this one it straight up near the end shows he really didn’t give a shit, he just formed an idea in his head, and went with it, and now he saw that his idea for a perfect universe failed, he decides he wants to just end it all. All that sob story for him in the first is made null and void because of it.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Yep.  His rationale was complete bullshit.  I thought they were going with the "impressing Lady Death" angle, alas I too found out that reality is often disappointing.  The complete truth is that Thanos's rationale was just a way of rationalizing his death-dealing and make it seem heroic and noble.  Self-aggrandizing twaddle.  It's deeply disturbing that Thanos had some IRL fanboys.[/spoiler]

Quote[spoiler]- I’ve seen people complain, and even buzzfeed writers whining about this, but I’m gonna say it, fuck them, I loved Thor in this. We’ve seen him change over the years, and he has gone though so much loss, more then anyone, his family, his friends, his home, his people, including from losing his eye to his hammer being lost, in this we actually see all that shit finally breaking him down, and him hitting rock bottom. People complain about the beer gut, how he’s got serious anxiety, how he’s just a broken shell. Well, NO FUCKING DURR, He’s been though so much shit.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]So did everyone else, and they dealt with it in varying ways, but no one shut down quite like Thor.  Granted, his head-missing was a spectacular failure and no doubt feels guilty for a good reason, but a LOT of mistakes were made in Infinity War that brought about the snap, so Thor really shouldn't take it so hard.[/spoiler]

Quote[spoiler]- Professor Hulk just had be smiling ear to ear. In the comics, professor hulk (bruce banners mind in control of the hulks body) was what endured me to the character back in the 90s, and while this version of hulk didn’t last, I loved those comics, because it just seemed like bruce banner was finally a complete person, happier and more enduring to everyone around him. And they nailed that her with this take on the hulk. Some people might be put off that the character of hulk isn’t here rather mark ruffalo’s Bruce Banner is, but for me it was a fond reminder of my favourite comic era for the hulk.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I hate the Hulk in general, but I hate that Hulk most of all.  Fundamentally, Banner/Hulk is an exploration of the duality of man in the same way as Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - man's intellectual/civilized side and man's brutal, animalistic side.  If you combine them into a stable Dr Hyde, you lose all of that conflict.  It creates a boring character, which is why it didn't last in the comics.[/spoiler]

Quote[spoiler]- Tony Stark/Iron mans death, I didn’t think it would impact me the way it did (I didn’t know who would really be dying off in this going it, kept myself spoiler free), so when the scene happened, with Peter beside him, and Pepper, I admit, I teared up.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I cried buckets.  And I never cry at movies.  I dgaf when Black Widow died and I actually enjoyed the snap, knowing full well that it'd never be permanent.[/spoiler]

Quote[spoiler]- Thanos destroyed the infinity stones. There might have been an explanation already, but fact is the infinity stones are part of the fundamental aspect of the universe, it was even said, you can’t really destroy them because it would destroy everything.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Exactly.  That was bullshit writing.  The power gems/stones are not "control knobs", they're the load-bearing columns.  They're like the towers in Elder Scrolls.  They keep our universe grounded.  Without them, nothing can exist.

Additionally, it's impossible to use any gem against another gem - so you can't destroy the gems with the gems.[/spoiler]

And finally, my two cents:

[spoiler]I am sooo glad Hawkeye pointed out that the whole a-soul-for-a-soul quest might be a lie.  A normal person doesn't take Red-Freaking-Skull at his word, and a complete idiot starts chucking people off a cliff because some strange guy in a robe says that's the path to power.  Have a shred of critical thinking ability, people!

I'm also kinda peeved that the infinity stones are mainly used for destruction.  Such a failure of imagination.  The stones can accomplish just about anything.  Think of it as an Empowered Wish spell.  Well, "bad guy die" is a hell of a lame wish.

You could create a new Earth.  Hell, you could create a whole new dimension within this one or merge two existing universes.  You could turn space itself into a vast ocean.  You could make every door open up to another random door in the universe.  You could make rain chocolate-flavored.  You could create a library of every book ever written, every thought ever thought, every deed recorded - from the beginning of time to the end of time.  You could also create a clockwork nirvana and/or heaven on earth.  And that's just for starters.  Godhood is a bit of an understatement, Gods are like babies in comparison.[/spoiler]

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 02, 2019, 11:59:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvZaBf9QQI

Westworld has gotten really weird lately...

(Imho, this looks just bad enough to be actually enjoyable.  I'd never watch it in theaters, but an april 20th rental...)
I think I'd rather watch two hours of vintage test cards and off-air announcements.  Or an Uwe Boll movie.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Dwight in Shining Armour.  A funny kids show.  Just watched the pilot episode.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I kinda wish they asked for feedback before releasing the trailer, but meh, this is a hell of a correction.

Munch

that version of sonic seriously looks like a poundland rip off version of him, made from cheap scratchy felt and cheap plastic
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on May 02, 2019, 08:22:17 PM[spoiler=End Game spoilers]Thanos destroyed the infinity stones. There might have been an explanation already, but fact is the infinity stones are part of the fundamental aspect of the universe, it was even said, you can’t really destroy them because it would destroy everything. And yet Thanos does this. The only explanation I can think of is because cap returns the stones to the points in time they were meant to exist in, this negated them being destroyed by thanos?[/spoiler]

[spoiler=End Game spoilers]I think the idea of having the Infinity Stones destroyed was to remove them as a plot device, so they couldn't rely on them in future stories, as well as to make the overarching plot until now feel completely resolved. No longer will any villains attempt to collect all of the stones to get their wish. The MCU has made changes to the Marvel universe before, and this change didn't bother me. I noticed they never mentioned that the stones were part of the god who created the Marvel universe as well. There's been a trend in the movies of turning gods into powerful aliens instead, essentially turning the MCU into an agnostic universe, where the existence of gods is as questionable as in real life.

My only real concern is that they might not be able to capture that lightning in a bottle a second time. The next Spider-Man movie is the Russo Brothers' last one, I believe, which means their plans probably never extended beyond this point. Will they be able to connect another 22 movies in another in an overarching plot, or will each Avengers movie after this be disjointed from the rest? Will the next Avengers movies even be as entertaining without Captain America or Iron Man around? It feels like End Game should have been the end of the MCU, but of course, they're going to keep making movies since they make a ton of movies. I just hope they don't milk the MCU until it loses all of what made it great.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 03, 2019, 04:49:52 PM
[spoiler=End Game spoilers]I think the idea of having the Infinity Stones destroyed was to remove them as a plot device, so they couldn't rely on them in future stories, as well as to make the overarching plot until now feel completely resolved. No longer will any villains attempt to collect all of the stones to get their wish. The MCU has made changes to the Marvel universe before, and this change didn't bother me. I noticed they never mentioned that the stones were part of the god who created the Marvel universe as well. There's been a trend in the movies of turning gods into powerful aliens instead, essentially turning the MCU into an agnostic universe, where the existence of gods is as questionable as in real life.

My only real concern is that they might not be able to capture that lightning in a bottle a second time. The next Spider-Man movie is the Russo Brothers' last one, I believe, which means their plans probably never extended beyond this point. Will they be able to connect another 22 movies in another in an overarching plot, or will each Avengers movie after this be disjointed from the rest? Will the next Avengers movies even be as entertaining without Captain America or Iron Man around? It feels like End Game should have been the end of the MCU, but of course, they're going to keep making movies since they make a ton of movies. I just hope they don't milk the MCU until it loses all of what made it great.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Eh, it really should be an end tbh, I mean they said the next spiderman will be like an epilogue to endgame, and I'm good with that.
But going forward, I just don't feel like i'll be invested in this like I was. Its like trying to make further justice league stories without the core league members. I'm someone who just feels that if a story removes core characters that made that world likable in the first place, then like you said, it just won't have the lightning in a bottle it once did.

I can say I'll enjoy a new spiderman and guardians of the galaxy movie, but they can't really make avengers a thing anymore without the characters that brought it together. In the comics when they've tried to do things like replace a popular character with someone else wearing that costume or title, its just not ever the same deal. Having say dick gryson wearing batmans costume and standing in as him, it just isn't the same as the real batman, or jane foster as thor.
I've never enjoyed these stories of 'passing on the mantle' of popular characters like this, because if you've been invested in the character for years, your just not gonna have the same feels for someone else wearing the costume, and claiming its for a 'new generation' is bs, because they will look at the original characters stories anyway in movies and tv and comics.

This is why the movie Logan was so much more powerful, because it was not just retiring the characters of wolverine, but it ended the stories of the x-men created back in the early 2000s, patrick stewart as charles xavier, and we can for sure guess the death of the other x-men as well. There was no passing the mantle into wolverines daughter, it was simply her escaping, and his final moments. [/spoiler]

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n1RjoxE9ww

All I can hope for is the legacy of these movie icons from the original star wars will carry on as movie legends, in spite of the the insane trolls on social media finding any reason to try and destroy them in this current time.

aitm

okay.....so last night I watched Infinity wars and tonight we watched End game......so blasphemy incoming.....meh.

Really.

I'm not going to harrass you guys but really. As a person who is not a panty waist like you....hehehe....no harrassment at all....jeepers that was just a meh movie.

Lots of action and shit...so that was kinda nice, but really. Thank fully I didn't pay to watch it or I would be a little more grumpy about it. I think the Star Trek movie was much better but hey...it had a real plot.

Ok thats all. You guys go ahead and spin all yer "spoiler" alerts, but good heavens a lot of energy into a meh movie.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Quote from: aitm on May 04, 2019, 09:40:01 PM
okay.....so last night I watched Infinity wars and tonight we watched End game......so blasphemy incoming.....meh.

Really.

I'm not going to harrass you guys but really. As a person who is not a panty waist like you....hehehe....no harrassment at all....jeepers that was just a meh movie.

Lots of action and shit...so that was kinda nice, but really. Thank fully I didn't pay to watch it or I would be a little more grumpy about it. I think the Star Trek movie was much better but hey...it had a real plot.

Ok thats all. You guys go ahead and spin all yer "spoiler" alerts, but good heavens a lot of energy into a meh movie.

comicbookdom is its own genre of entertainment, and its not for everyone.

theres people who would say the same about star trek shows and movies

no biggie really, I never got into game of thrones despite the praises its been given.

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on May 04, 2019, 09:40:01 PMokay.....so last night I watched Infinity wars and tonight we watched End game......so blasphemy incoming.....meh.

Really.

Baruch

Munch - your comment RE Mark Hamill.  SJWs trash everything, they are nihilists.  While virtue signaling.  A real nihilist would realize that there is no such thing as virtue.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on May 04, 2019, 09:40:01 PM

Really.

It's the 21st century, blockbuster action culture. And it is coming to an end or at least stay as a sub genre as itself. For example, 10 years ago a movie like John Wick wouldn't get an audience ike this, because people had already seen that kind of action countless times and asked for something more visually epic. But now, it is back in demand.

This era started because of the Lord of the Rings. I am not sure how youngsters would perceive that though. I mean the scale, the completeness, the details. If you are not an adult at the beginning of the century, you could see it differently. After LotR, any material that hasn't been turned into something epic to create its own universe, didn't get much following. That has become the demand of the audience from any franchise wanted to make big.

If you look at the stories; the plot, they are very simple. They are very ordinary, straight, even weak stories, but stretched, and filled with fan culture. Fans can actually do something with these movies. They can dress up like characters, go to conventions, buy props. Most people don't want to see movies about with messages any more. Anything they need to think to get it it. May be about real people they know, but their lives. Biographical movies are on the rise. Also, low budget series, simple. The old tradition style of action.

If you don't expect anything big, artistic and deep, you can have fun. But if you buy the hype, you are bound to get dissapointed. In the end, it is comic book material. And I am saying that lovingly. Do I read Marvel or DC? No. I read vertigo. But I have read as a kid.

Speaking of Lord of the Rings, there is a huge pile of books that came out of that world, wait to be maide into movies. Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance for example. (Potentially, huge franchises I mean.) Esp. the Dark Elf Trilogy has endless potential. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

"13 Assassins" (2010), directed by Takashi Miike and a remake of the 1963, "13 Assassins" directed by Eiichi Kudo.

If you've seen alot of Westerns, Samurai movies, or both... you know exactly what you are going to get. It's essentially Kurosawa's, "Seven Samurai", though this time set at the end of the Edo period rather than the Sengoku Jidai. If you are tired of that plot... then this is probably not the movie for you.

However, if you like Samurai dealing with the ethical implications of following the code of bushido, even if it means protecting a Shogunate-heir who wishes to return Japan to pure chaos and warfare or giving up a life of peace to seek an honourable death, and the story of the underdog (13 Samurai) using both cunning and superiour discipline to try and defeat a force 10 times their size... all presented in a sharply directed, well-funded package... then you will likely enjoy this movie.

The 45-minute battle scene, if predictable, is really well choreographed. My biggest complaint about the movie is not delving into the backstories of the characters more... but then it would most likely be pushing "Lord of the Rings" territory on run time. And the implications of one of the characters being perhaps a spirit or a demon is pretty interesting and adds another layer to think about when the film ends.

I've seen people complain about this character because it "ruins the immersion and realism" of the film, but it's a Samurai film... or do you really think a single Samurai could take on 20 people all at the same time from all angles is realistic?

All in all, I really enjoyed it. One of the best samurai films I've seen in awhile.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aitm

LOTR series we're epic f-ing masterpieces of film and story telling. Cinematography just stunning.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust