News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on April 25, 2019, 10:50:36 AM
you know, considering this is a forum that often makes debates about peoples political opinions and how much they suck as people (trump post No:298) Its funny people called out for criticizing an actress for the same reason. Also claiming anyone who doesn't like brie larson must be an alt righter, lol.

Like the movie all you want, she's still a garbage human being. I guess I just have more value in watching actors based on their personality more then their acting credits.

When I go to watch a movie, the actors' political opinions do not matter to me. Like, I know that Chris Pratt donates a considerable sum of his money to an anti-LGBTQ+ church. Should I restrict myself from seeing End Game because he's in it? Until an actor does something morally indefensible, I don't care. There is an argument to be had about whether or not art can be disconnected from the artist. Like should we be able to enjoy Michael Jackson music even though there's a ton of evidence he sexually abused boys in his Neverland park? But again, the only thing Brie did wrong was exist as a feminist, so...
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

Also, I like Braveheart and the lethal weapon films. But I wouldn't want to be stuck in a room with Mel Gibson.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 25, 2019, 11:33:05 AM
Also, I like Braveheart and the lethal weapon films. But I wouldn't want to be stuck in a room with Mel Gibson.

So both you and Blackleaf are enabling 7 billion baby Hitlers out there?  It is OK if you aren't activists.  That shows you aren't insane, yet ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on April 25, 2019, 01:00:59 PM
So both you and Blackleaf are enabling 7 billion baby Hitlers out there?  It is OK if you aren't activists.  That shows you aren't insane, yet ;-)

You don't like Braveheart?

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 25, 2019, 02:21:39 PM
You don't like Braveheart?

It's about Mel Gibson, the anti-Semite.  Not about Braveheart etc.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on April 25, 2019, 07:23:40 PM
It's about Mel Gibson, the anti-Semite.  Not about Braveheart etc.

Hm. Fooled me. How is Braveheart about anti-semitism?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 26, 2019, 01:14:29 AM
He did say "Not about Braveheart".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 26, 2019, 01:14:29 AM

Been drinking too much beer?  You didn't read clearly ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on April 26, 2019, 03:21:45 AM
Been drinking too much beer?  You didn't read clearly ;-)

My bad, I thought you meant: the movie is not about Braveheart but about Gibson himself.

Yeah, Gibson seems like a shit person, that's what I agree with.

Still like Braveheart. Do you?

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 26, 2019, 04:28:39 AM
My bad, I thought you meant: the movie is not about Braveheart but about Gibson himself.

Gibson's movies are ... not that great (as opposed to movies he only starred in earlier).  I liked Apocalypto better as a film.  There was too much poetic license in Braveheart.  Rob Roy was released that same year and was better.  The original point you made, others made, was to what extent does the politics or misbehavior of people associated with films, drive your assessment of their films.  My point is, if someone was really Left, one would boycott the film.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on April 26, 2019, 05:43:17 AM
Gibson's movies are ... not that great (as opposed to movies he only starred in earlier).  I liked Apocalypto better as a film.  There was too much poetic license in Braveheart.  Rob Roy was released that same year and was better.  The original point you made, others made, was to what extent does the politics or misbehavior of people associated with films, drive your assessment of their films.  My point is, if someone was really Left, one would boycott the film.

I dunno. Right wing nuts also boycott films like harry potter or Frozen, if I recall correctly. As do the far left, indeed.  shaming and cencorship go hand in hand with extremes.

I don't boycott movies, based on politics or misbehavior. Fuck it, even if Sean Connory turned out to have been a raping pedophile, he's still my favorite actor. But then only in regards to acting. Plus, a movie is never just one person.

I liked apocalypto a lot better too. Now that you mention it.
Haven't seen Rob Roy. Will attempt to.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 26, 2019, 04:28:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajChZOK1k88
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sal1981

I watched Avengers: Endgame. I thought it was good. Didn't really think about Brie Larson's SJW antics. 9/10.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Baruch

Rob Roy ... a more contemporary Scottish patriot than William Wallace ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR1YEOrYOdw

Liam Neeson ... hot!  Violent as f**k.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Sal1981 on April 26, 2019, 07:45:13 AM
I watched Avengers: Endgame. I thought it was good. Didn't really think about Brie Larson's SJW antics. 9/10.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

But did you hear about the special makeup effects artist? I heard they're racist AND homophobic. You can't support a movie with a special makeup effects artist like that, can you?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--