News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

whats beautiful about the disney classics, that is completely lost on the current disney corporation, is you can watch a classic disney movie, and its like looking back at an era which reflects the thoughts, ideals and aspects of the era, showing the progression of time. Look at how a character like snow white is in 1937, to how a character like jasmine is in Aladdin in 1992. theres something pretty amazing about seeing the style and characterization in those times.

With the disney remakes, it loses all that charm, because the live action remakes are all being made in the same era, today, so all the characters who had their character and personalities reflective of the time the classics were made, are now stripped away to 'appeal to audiences of today'.
This is why I just don't care for seeing any of them now. Disney could try harder, they've made movies that do reflect the audiences of today, with tangled and frozen, but just remaking the classics though a lens of today just does a disservice to the originals.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 09, 2019, 01:16:11 AM
Well, there are actually Force gods now. It's kind of confusing, since it seems like they used to be powerful users of the Force, and now they seem to represent the Force itself. But these three beings, called the Ones, are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Sp--I mean the Daughter. The Daughter represents the Light Side, the Son the Dark Side, and the Father above them is the balance. There is no god of imbalance in the Force.
Wait a sec...I thought The Force was generated by life itself? I thought that it's more a ground-up thing than a top-down thing.

The way I've always pictured it is that Jedi/Sith are not bestowed with Force powers by an outside source, they manifest the Force potential that all living things generate into actual Force powers.  Potential energy -> usable energy.

Seems like adding Force...umm...gods would be antithetical to that not to mention making The Force too much like real-world religions like Christianity.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 11, 2019, 07:35:42 PM
Wait a sec...I thought The Force was generated by life itself? I thought that it's more a ground-up thing than a top-down thing.

The way I've always pictured it is that Jedi/Sith are not bestowed with Force powers by an outside source, they manifest the Force potential that all living things generate into actual Force powers.  Potential energy -> usable energy.

Seems like adding Force...umm...gods would be antithetical to that not to mention making The Force too much like real-world religions like Christianity.

Nothing canon in Star Wars is canon anymore.  Originally like Zen, the next movie had them as micro-symbionts the midichlorians ;-(  They should have answered the question, "What is the sound of one Jedi light saber not hitting anything?"
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 11, 2019, 07:35:42 PM

The Force flows through all life. Episode VIII was consistent with that. But the original trilogy was pretty vague as to what exactly the Force was. It was kind of like a god, it was kind of a power source. In the prequels, Anakin was a Force baby, with no natural father, and we learned about midichlorians that served as a way to measure a person's sensitivity to the Force. I don't think George Lucas originally intended there to be Force gods, but the idea that the Force has goals pulling in conflicting directions depending on the alignment, or that Balance was a factor in the Force didn't come out of nowhere. The Jedi received the prophecy about the chosen one who would bring "balance" to the Force. This has two implications. First, the Force bestows hidden knowledge about the future to select individuals, like a god speaking to its prophet. And second, the Force does seek to find balance between Light and Dark, but the Jedi misunderstood what "balance" meant. They assumed "balance" meant peace or enlightenment, but it actually meant the pendulum was swinging the other direction, and it was about to hit them hard.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Disney is one of the worst offenders when it comes to violating the spirit of copyright.  There's a reason the most recent extension to copyright was called the Mickey Mouse Protection Act.  It was never foreseen by the Framers that copyright would keep getting extended indefinitely.  The idea of copyright is to protect the creator's right to profit from their creation, not to protect corporate properties forever.

Instead, the idea of copyright as practiced now is legalized extortion -- it wasn't until 2016 that Warner quit fighting to maintain their rights over 'Happy Birthday to You', even though it had been demonstrated the previous year that there never had been a valid copyright on the song, only on one particular arrangement of it.  Warner eventually paid back only $14 million of an estimated $56 million they'd made enforcing a copyright they never actually held.

That said, as a writer and photographer, I do believe in copyright protections.  Certainly I would like to have my work protected for the period of my natural life, plus maybe ten years for the benefit of my heirs, but anything more than that is counter to the spirit of copyright.  The current term of life plus 70 years is crazy, and certainly has nothing to do with protecting creators' rights, but rather protecting the profits of those who weren't the creators.  Statistically, copyright will serve a creator's heirs longer than it will the creator -- even someone who is published at 20 will have to live to be 90 to get the same protection term that their estate will have.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

I remember the crows in Dumbo, and shudder a bit.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Green Bottle

The Devil's Rejects          9/10
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Shiranu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3P1ejh9pGs

It's no secret that Movies with Mikey is one of my idols in terms of viewing and interpreting art, and I think he nails it with John Wick. It's a film of catharsis, of the gods of Olympus being destroyed by the Boogieman, an action film produced and directed by men deeply knowledgeable of not just what actions look good but how and why they look good (the two key figures in the creation of this film are both long-time stunt actors)... and executed by a cast (particularly Reeves, who spent something like 5 months, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day training in martial arts and gun usage for this film)...

It's a great film, and it's a great analysis of it. It's right up there with "The Raid" (Indonesian action film) for best modern action film imo.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on April 17, 2019, 03:42:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3P1ejh9pGs

It's no secret that Movies with Mikey is one of my idols in terms of viewing and interpreting art, and I think he nails it with John Wick. It's a film of catharsis, of the gods of Olympus being destroyed by the Boogieman, an action film produced and directed by men deeply knowledgeable of not just what actions look good but how and why they look good (the two key figures in the creation of this film are both long-time stunt actors)... and executed by a cast (particularly Reeves, who spent something like 5 months, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day training in martial arts and gun usage for this film)...

It's a great film, and it's a great analysis of it. It's right up there with "The Raid" (Indonesian action film) for best modern action film imo.

I loved John wick. But the raid has it beat.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Wick totally should have died on the balcony at the Red Circle.

Did you notice that the doorman told Wick how many opponents were waiting inside? (Hint: do the conversion.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh_eIReMeNw

One more, just because I am binge watching his videos atm. This one's kinda core theme is how movies can force us to address concepts we might not be aware of... or even "worse" (from our perspective), concepts we might not be comfortable with or disagree with.

QuoteI loved John wick. But the raid has it beat.

I agree and disagree. I feel like in terms of world building, character development, themes and motifs... the more "cerebral" aspects... John Wick is the better film/series (which gives it a leg up since it is a series vs a film).

In terms of just pure action though, The Raid definately edges out ahead. I'm probably going to go back and watch them back to back tonight just for the shits and giggles and see if watching them in very close succession helps me compare the two, because it's been years since I've seen either... and I saw them pretty far apart as well.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Watched spiderman: homecoming

Trying to watch all the marvel films before going in for infinity war parts 1 and 2

still need to see black panther, ant man 2 (i think) and thor ragnarok. (Then watch captain marvel between the two infinity wars films, right?)

Anyway: i liked it. It was kind of refreshing to just see another (almost) avenger have fun with it. Comedy worked for me. And the villain wasn't some overpowered guy looking for galactic or world domination. Not out just for global destruction, armed with the means to do so.
It was a nice return to have less at stake, which made it feel like what was at stake was actually at stake. You know?

Gawdzilla Sama

There are 32+ hours of Avengers movies to watch before Endgame then.
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 19, 2019, 08:57:27 PM
There are 32+ hours of Avengers movies to watch before Endgame then.

For five or six movies?

drunkenshoe

I think, I was around 8 years old when I have seen Dumbo. I loved it very much. It's one of those things you won't try to be objective about.

However, considering the theme, it has universal value. Esp. for children. It's about being bullied. He gets bullied because of a personal trait and then turns that into a super power. Well, we can write a lot of things, but that's enough.

Among all the movies Disney has made in the last 80 years -that's the age of the first movie- Dumbo is the last one to complain about being remade or seen as unnecessary.

I haven't seen the new one, but I can forgive Burton for almost anything, so I'll ask: Is it really that bad? I don't think so. How bad it can be? Doesn't matter how much badly it is critcised now, it will be a hit for the unborn generations. And it is a good thing to make child watch.

This is not just about Dumbo either. I don't get what the so called critics have been trying to accomplish in the last 20 years. These stories are very basic. Same with the new Alice in the Wonderland ones...etc. Everybody hated it? Why? I think it's LotR. Not the LotR as in LotR. The epic era movie opened.

It's the abominations like Frozen and the Little Mermaid stuff we need to burn in piles and dance around it. Yes, I hate Disney as much as any sensible person and think that Pixar, Miyazaki, Addams Family should be mandatory for primary school kids. But Dumbo is not one of the former group.     
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp